Edinburgh Marathon

7,741 to 7,760 of 8,202 messages
16/10/2012 at 12:22
morning all and well done to Fi, proof Edi was very much within your capabilities

well tomorrow is my lst LSR, hoping to get 22 done but wont push too hard this close to the big day! will report back tomorrow afternoon with an update - wish me luck
17/10/2012 at 10:49

Good luck Phil.  Hope it goes OK for you.

Little jog out last night to loosen the legs.  No major issues and actually feel looser this AM for the run out.  So gonna take the dogs for 4 ish tonight then get a hilly run in towards the end of the week/weekend.  Just to remind myself what running up some proper hills feels like. Lol.

What kind of time are you guys aiming to arrive at Snowdon?  We need to register and pick up numbers so thought we could all head down to race HQ together.

17/10/2012 at 16:57
20 miles done, wasn't fun !
17/10/2012 at 19:03

But in 10 days time 26.2 miles will be brilliant fun ...........promise!

17/10/2012 at 19:15

Ever the optomist 

17/10/2012 at 20:52

I was going to say 20miles is never fun...but 26.2 will be awesome   I hope you 3 have planned a post race refreshment strategy.

Fi you did really well at Cardiff but what happened to that husband of yours?  I thought he was meant to be running this year...Mr CS looked through the results and his name was there but they seem to have forgotten to put a time in beside it...silly organisers.

Busy busy weekend this weekend...it's a friends birthday house party on Friday and then a workmates 40th party on Saturday so we've decided to split our run into 2 and do 6 or 8 miles each day as I don't think it's feasible to try to fit a 14 mile run in in one go.

Me & Mr CS are booked in for the EMF half already....gotta get that sub 2 somehow and EMF seems to be my PB course...oh and we've booked our places in the Manchester marathon AND the Loch Ness marathon... *whistles innocently*

18/10/2012 at 21:26

This from the person who after Edi 2010 decided that there would be no more marathons until hell froze over......?? That's the trouble with this marathon madness. It creeps up on you and before you know it.....

Loved Loch Ness and would love to do it again sometime. It's still my mara PB. Don't know much about Manchester but presume it's the one on 28th April.

Spent yesterday morning at work trying to enter the Paris Mara. Total chaos on the website but finally got to pay at about 2pm. After my experiences there 2 years ago with the stolen wallet and the crap run really felt I needed to give it another go.

Paris is April 7th. 3 weeks earlier, perfectly timed for the last long  run is the Ashby 20. One of my favourite races. I think Dave, DT and Beavis did it last year. Maybe see some of you there. 

18/10/2012 at 21:30

Oh, forgot. Fi, plan is to get across to Llanberis fairly early on Friday so I can put my feet up as much as possible. I think registration opens at 12 until midnight (!) so I should be around to have a wander down at any time.

21/10/2012 at 10:42

Haha - I laughed out loud when I read Caz's post as well GE.  From the Edinburgh reaction in 2010 to the Caz of today.  What a transformation.  And what a healthy way to work your way around the country and the world.  What happened to the Hadrian's Wall event?  Thought that was next year.......

We are heading up on the Friday as early as we can.  If we get time we are going to call into Dolgellau to have a wonder around.  Shaun's paternal Grandfather was born in this area and he still has relatives there - somewhere.  We need to do some research before heading up as calling in at the local shop/pub and asking if anyone knows Mr Evans is not, I think, going to be very successful. Lol.

I will give you a ring when we get to the hotel in Llanberis.

Can confirm that the taper madness has well and truely set in with me.  Convinced I've got the lurgy on its way, haven't done enough training (which I haven't - but!) and keep feeling little niggles.  Haven't got the energy at the moment to run up the stairs never mind Snowdon.  eeeeekkkk!!!

And I won't need reminding - but remind me GE to tell you the story of a late night phone call from Philby.  LOL! panic mode does not even come close.

Take care all .x

21/10/2012 at 19:43

As it's just us lot in here I can share way too much information...have had to put Hadrians Wall on hold until I can get the toilet troubles sorted once and for all...it's bad enough as it is when we're in the middle of civilisation and I NEED to go but I don't think I'm brave/shameless enough to make like a bear. 

Fi are you not dosing yourself up with echinacea and vit c???  We are and we've got an extra week to wait before our little tootle.

Manchester is billed as even flatter & faster than Edinburgh so should be a fairly safe bet to get that sub-5 if I don't get it in Las Vegas.  I am starting to think I've been body swapped with a lunatic cos another marathon I fancy doing is the Keilder marathon. OK you can all stop laughing now!!!

21/10/2012 at 21:24
Caz that is literally hilarious
mcs
22/10/2012 at 10:45

Ouch Caz get sorted!!!
Congrats to Fi hope all fit for Snowden!! Didnt think you needed to run up Snowden on the marathon!! Ran up it with daughter and oh the other week, nothing to it just not very far..........no marathon planned for me next year yet!!! Just a 21 mile off roader the Grindleford Gallop and Coniston 14 as love that race. Thought about Manchester but the views are not up to much....... had a nice mountain bike ride out of the mist on to the Edges yesterday clear blue sky and awesome views. Now misty moisty Monday morning!!

23/10/2012 at 12:52

Ok I'm back again.

To be honest I have stayed away from the thread as I was in a running rut (I realise it isn't really a running thread) and was just struggling with not being able to do something I love to the level that I want to do it at (does that make sense?

Anyway, Amsterdam has given me a renewed focus on my running and I can't wait to get started just as soon as I have finished the treat cupboard off.

Amsterdam was an awesome weekend and thoroughly recommended. As for the race its flat as you like and seememd pretty well organised although personally it seemed like a lot of effort just to knock 27 seconds off my PB. In fairness the wind was about 17/18mph and battered runners from about 20-30km. I ran the first half with DT2 in a group of 6 but fell off the pace at 18k. I was then caught by another runner who took me back to DT2 but then we turned in to the wind and I was on my own for about 15km. I really needed a group to work with on this section but it just wasn't there. Maybe slowing for the next group may have been a better tactic? Anyway, I toughed it out and picked up a bit at around 35km and enjoyed a nice sprint finish on the track for a 2:38:03 73rd overall and 6th V40. DT posted a 2:35:30 ish time so I was well pleased overall considering I would hvae taken a 2:45 on the morning of the race.

As for the post race effort well what can I say - Amsterdam is Amsterdam! I expected to be given a curfew of 11pm by Jo but was surprised to be given a 1am curfew. Sadly I missed that by some distance and Jo pointed out that I can cover 26 miles in 2:38 but not the 3 miles from town to the apartment in 7 hours. It must have been funny seeing me map reading at half two in the morning while still pissed - Happy days!

23/10/2012 at 13:02

...in your defence.....in Amsterdam at half two in the AM and pissed - one canal, cobbled street, bridge, bicycle and red light would just merge into one

Good to have you back Dave.  Well done on the race and new PB.  Awesome.  And DT.  Fantastic running.

23/10/2012 at 20:06
Dave many congratulations on a shiny new pb, sounded like very tough Conditions to me ! Great to see you back on the thread
23/10/2012 at 21:23

Absolutely incredible times from you & Darren again Dave...So, when we watch that little insignificant race down in London next year shall we expect to see you two giving the Kenyans a run for their money???

Agree with Fi, Amsterdam is very muchy muchness...bridges, cobbles, trams, bicycles, ladies in windows... no wonder you were a tad late back to the apartment.

Not long to go now for our Snowdon trio...I expect to hear all good things from you three.

We are currently dosing ourselves up on vit c + zinc and echinacea...unfortunately everyone around us seems to be sniffing/coughing/sneezing...gaaah!!!

24/10/2012 at 08:13

Mega running Dave. Unbelievable time considering your prep was far from ideal. And another epic performance from Darren. You guys are flying.

Not long to go now to Saturday. Same as you Caz, taking every cold and flu preventative in the world and the rest of humanity is suffering from all forms of pestilence imaginable

Weather for Snowdon looks cold so packing all the thermals. This is going to be one hard run but getting a bit excited as well as scared...

24/10/2012 at 08:27
GE, you summed it up perfectly, scared shi****s but excited as well. Jill and I are planning to arrive at the hotel for check in at 2pm. As soon as checked in will try and get registration done. See you soon mate
24/10/2012 at 10:52

.....as you guys will no doubt leave me behind on the mountain....... the least you can do is wait for me to go to registration on Friday.

We are aiming for between - 2-3 in the afternoon at the hotel.  If you hang on I can show you where registration is.  Or you can go recci it on your own - I'm easy.  Big girl now.  

We could even have a drive around some of the course if you want?

Actually - all joking aside - restless night last night - tossing and turning dreaming about some mad mountain run I'm supposed to be running ............eeeek!

24/10/2012 at 11:51
yes good idea register together, see you and GE at the hotel
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.