Edinburgh Marathon

7,801 to 7,820 of 8,199 messages
07/11/2012 at 07:57

Brilliant report Caz. Congratulations to you and Bruce on completing what was obviously a very challenging race. Fantastic PB as well. Definite sub-5 next time.

Good luck with the continuing training Phil. I'm sure the Snowdon thing will have helped to build some form of base to build on.

Well done on the hospitality, Fi. Makes running marathons sound easy.

Race the Train sounds great. Nearly did it this year but did Belper instead. ...And it's another Saturday race. I love Saturday races . But I do have another race planned for August next year so need to make sure there's no clash.

08/11/2012 at 11:26

This thread is just awesome!

Fi, I don't have any Scottish ties through bloodlines but I would happily swap my nationality if I was allowed to. I love Scotland and the people up there and now follow Scotland home and away with a group of friends. MON THE SCOTS! Jo is a quarter Scottish and likes to remind me of the fact that she's more Scottish than me which is when i storm out, get drunk and come back to slap her about a bit (how Scottish can you get)

Actually joking about slapping her around 

I get someone to do it for me 

Brilliant report Caz and again a massive well done - Bru is a legend as well!

Race the train sounds like a great idea as well but not if it clashes with Belper as thats my fave race of the year and I missed it last year. Will have to have look at the dates.

On home news its all doom and gloom at work. Our company owners sold us to a competitor a few weeks ago and now over 100 people are set for redundancy. I'm OK as the water team is new and very small but its no fun to work with people who don't know whats going to happen with them.

Thanks for the birthday wishes for Noah. He had a lovely day and lots of presents as well as the best birthday cake ever that I cant post on here because of the file size

08/11/2012 at 19:10

Just send us all a slice Dave...we'll upload our photos and then it can be a new RW comp...guess the cake design

I went off to google Race the Train...will have to put it on a back burner until we get all our ducks in order.  As you all know Bru's daddy had a heart attack earlier this year and Bru is wanting to do something for BHF...he originally said Loch Ness Marathon, but we came to the conclusion that wasn't that much of a big deal...so we're now looking at the feasibility of racing 265miles between 1st Jan - 29th Sep (the last 26miles being Loch Ness).  It's 265miles between the two houses (driving) and it just so happens it's 265miles as the crow flows between our house & Nessie...so we are currently trying to find as many cheap local races.

Dave I feel for your work colleagues...it's a horrible time for them.  Glad that your job is safe.

Phil, if it helps Bru looked at our training log for last year on the run up to Goofy and we didn't get into double figures on any of our runs in December due to appalling conditions.  They give you loads of breathing space with the time limit so just enjoy yourself and don't forget the camera.

09/11/2012 at 08:45

Frankfurt booked for next Autumn. At the finish they have cheerleaders, an indoor finish area, cheerleaders, disco lights and cheerleaders. Oh and they have cheerleaders! Not the under 10's that you sometimes get at football games that Glitter and Saville enjoy but proper full on hotties with pom poms!

I'm in heaven!

09/11/2012 at 08:46

Oh and Noah just tried to eat Tilly!

12/11/2012 at 20:18

Cmon Dave, GE, Caz, Bruce RTT sounds awesome fun 

Caz, what a brilliant idea, that would make Bruce's Dad so proud and if your raising money for the BHF put me down for £26.50  As for the Goofy, I have enough time to be ready as long as I stick to my plan!!!

Dave, sorry to hear they are letting people go, it always seems to be bloody Christmas season when they do these things a la Comet! Glad your safe mate, btw apologies for my incredible ignorance but who is Tilly???? Frankfurt hmmm sounds very tempting !

MCS, nice to hear from you mate 

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 20:19
12/11/2012 at 23:27
I'd forgotten about this thread. Sorry! Have been back a few pages to see what's happened.
Congrats to Dt2 and MCDave on Amsterdam PBs, and Caz at Vegas.
Well done to Philby & Fiona doing Snowdonia. Tough tough course. Club mad ultra pal did it in 3:05 & called it "Gods Marathon", he likes things very tough so for you to almost get a PB. Wow! That's got to be worth 30-40 minutes off a flat one.

2012 Highlights since meeting you all in the pub:-
Edinburgh was 2nd marathon, a lovely 3:28 & 21 mins off
10k PB - 3 times, a few secs over 40 min now, 8 mins knocked off since mid 2011.
10 mile PB 68 mins. 5k PB three times but not a distance I do often, did sub 20 mins in first half of 10k recently.
Did Thunder Run 24 hour team 10k relay in July - awesome event. You'd all love it. Beer, BBQ, cake. Some running. Actually you'd all fit in VERY well ! mcs is interested I know.
Chose not to do autumn marathon, worked on short speed knocking 30 secs off my mile PB and still only run 3 days a week, occasionally fourth.
Oh, Oct did a 35 mile ultra - for fun.

Haven't entered Edinburgh yet but planning to. Have got into VLM via ballot, aiming for sub 3:15, Edinburgh five weeks later is backup or maybe sub 3:10.
Oh, and small matter of a 50 mile ultra in Feb first.

Race the Train, if anyone wants to stay overnight or stop off point to break journey up, shout. Conwy, approx 1 hr away, j2 m53.

Ps most important thing to remember from pub, I'm male, not female
Edited: 12/11/2012 at 23:28
mcs
13/11/2012 at 11:31

I love a Saturday race, easier for me work wise, doing Grindleford Gallop and Coniston 14....when is Belper? Let me know Goldeneagle et al if you know of any more Saturday runs in the North. Fancy Snowden next year. Race the Train sounds fun but hard work, been on that train about thirty years ago......lovely area.   A sub four is the hope for next year...........Dave stop dreaming about that Frankfurt race!!!

mcs
13/11/2012 at 11:32

PS got three cousins in Scotland and did have ginger hair myself. I am scottish???

13/11/2012 at 17:57

Hi FRC, good to hear from you again - MATE 

2012 was a storming year for you, really impressive full and 10k times, and no doubt 2013 is going to be even better. As for RTT, not really looked at accom yet, but will be signing up real soon as its a small field of entrants by the look of it. Really hoping I can persuade (dupe ? ) some of the stalwarts on this thread to take part!!!

MCS, is a sub four your new years resolution then? and on that topic I suggest we all start thinking of a challenging but realistic resolution running/other activities as you see fit for 2013 

I will post mine once i have it nailed down!

Edited: 13/11/2012 at 17:59
13/11/2012 at 22:12
Hey Philby! Good to see you are well.

Oh, still 6 weeks to go in 2012. 2 races lined up. One is to get sub 40 min 10k.
14/11/2012 at 16:10

Hi FRC (said in a deep manly voice) glad to see your running is going well and good to hear from you. Hope you can make Edinburgh but if your doing London then you will find me and Tanner in the Red Lion on Whitehall after the race. Its close to the finish and about 100 yds from the end of Downing Street towards Parliament.

I realy do fancy RTT Philby but just cant miss Belper 2 years in a row. Oh, and Tilly is the Tortoise formerly known as Tanner.

Did I mention cheerleaders?

14/11/2012 at 17:46

Dave, no probs mate, hoping you have a storming run there  Aaaagh yes I do remember the Tanner association come to think of it !!! Well if your not doing RTT thats one further place up the finishing places for me .

FRC, good luck with that sub 40 10K, not done a proper 10K event for donkeys years, I think (scratches head a lot) my time was 44 mins, though I reckon today 48 would be a result 

mcs
15/11/2012 at 10:49

Dave when is the Belper race please? Tried a search but not found it.....probably me.

15/11/2012 at 21:05

mcs its run by Belper rugby club and they haven't said the date yet but if you ask them they might tell you? I cant add anymore on account of being drunk!

Oh the life of an elite athlete!

night night!

16/11/2012 at 08:04

Morning Dave. Hope the hangover's not too bad.

FRC, good running mate. You've had a great year and still time for more PBs.

mcs, Dave's problem is that Belper this year was the same weeked as RTT but it's a Sunday race. So if it follows the same pattern it'll be on 18 August. Can't understand the issues really. For an athlete of Dave's calibre, a 14-mile jog in Wales seems perfect prep for a dash across to Derbyshire next day for the Rover....

Phil, may be up for RTT. Other race I've planned has provisional date of 11 August so could be good to go.

Have a few races myself before year end. Starting with a repeat of last year's trip to Cyprus for the 4 Day challenge. Flying out Tuesday and looking forward to some winter sunshine, a few beers and a bit of running.

Have a good weekend all.

mcs
16/11/2012 at 09:35

Just entered the Grindleford Gallop in March time to get serious with the hills and try and build up the legs!!! Thanks for information on Belper Dave GE.  Jealous of a four day trip to Cyprus for warm weather running lovely.

18/11/2012 at 21:03
Still might do the Gallop mcs. I don't know Belper event?

Have fun GE with the 4 day challenge.

I already had a secret half marathon planned for this weekend when I said 2 events above.

Wiped 6 minutes plus off my half marathon PB. High 1:35 to sub 1:30 - 1:29:29. Actually felt bigger/ better than doing sub 3:30. Over the moon!

Just the sub 40 10k to do now and will have done every PB target I had for 18 plus months - in under 12. Happy times !
mcs
19/11/2012 at 10:15

GG nearly sold out......in one week. Excellent PB FRC as commented elsewhere you are flying. Great when it goes like that. Whats the secret?

22/11/2012 at 10:19

excellent stuff FRC!

Had a mare on Sunday with a 37:09 10K

Got beat by 2 V50's and a girl

Need to go back to the drawing board and come up with a plan

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.