Edinburgh Marathon

7,841 to 7,860 of 8,199 messages
mcs
03/12/2012 at 12:17

My stats were five miles at 7mmiling and one I managed 6mmiling. The rest abit slow on Friday. Yesterday I went out of Baslow and up onto Curbar Edge along Froggart Edge down to Grindleford and then over to Eyam the plague village and then up to Foolow and over to Longstone Edge then down Cherpit Lane of BBC3 fame due to motorbike access and walkers fighting over the green lane and home for food. An 11 mile plod taking in the Grindleford Gallop route. Lovely view on the edges though the last three miles were in the dark which was fun as had the headtorch on lighting up the sheeps eyes, scarey.  Happy new week all and keep up the Streak Dave, where were you running yesterday?

mcs
03/12/2012 at 12:18

Got a mention on last weeks marathon talk for running with cycling daughter!! Infamy at last.

03/12/2012 at 20:58
Infamy infamy they've all got it infamy!!
04/12/2012 at 09:30

Oooooh Matron!

Saturday was up on the moorland above Oughtibridge (pronounced Ootybridge) I use that run a lot around December to recharge my running batteries as it's so bleak but peaceful up there and you never see anyone 

Day 5 was struggle on account of 5 pints of real ale on Sunday night. The only thing to get me out the door was the fact that I dumped my car at the pub 6 miles away and it needed collecting.

Tonight is a 2-3 mile treadmill jaunt followed by weight and core stuff and then ambling around South London in the morning. Thats a week done then!

Your route is an amazing one mcs. Have you done the Eyam half before. What a tought set of hills!

mcs
04/12/2012 at 13:52

Nope not done Eyam that has some very big hills cycled some of them and thats hard enough......enjoy the treadie.......how do you drink and run? Must be youth on your side!! Run up the golf course road in Bakewell, give that a try sometime great for hill reps, its a mile long, I do well to run up it once and turn and fall back down to my office.

04/12/2012 at 20:25

Evening guys!  Just about a month since I've posted.  Yikes!  where does the time go?

Glad to see you wonderful people are not only keeping the thread going but also the running - and drinking and running Dave

Welcome back WR.  beginning to wonder where you'd got to.  And good to hear you had another good week in  Cyprus GE.

I haven't got much to report on the running front.  Got the Pudding Run on the 16th again.  Only 10k but with some killer hills - starts off on Europes biggest sand hill - the Big Dipper.  Things have been ridiculously stressful lately.  Work has been difficult due to family issues within shaun's family - it's a family business so say no more.  Can't get away from it.  And then unfortunately on the 15th Shaun's Gran passed away.  Although she had dementia which had been getting progressively worse it was all quite quick in the end.  A blessing but tough.

So running has been minimal and mainly medicinal with no real purpose except to clear my head.

Roll on 2013.

Take care all - will try harder to keep up - with the typing and the running lol x

05/12/2012 at 11:42
Sorry to hear that Fi. Hopefully things will get better over the coming weeks. Hugs and kisses from Sheffield. X

Treadmill didn't happen as it was broken in the hotel gym. As was the bike that meant 10 mins of rowing for positively the last time ever. My arse is too boney now for rowing and my coxicks (hmmm not sure about the spelling but at least I didn't type oh never mind) rubs against my skin on the seat giving my arse blisters at the top of my crack not pleasant to read I know but less pleasant to sit down.

Anyway, I had to do my weights and then venture out at 10pm for 3 miles.

This morning was snowing huge flakes but they didnt last and I managed 13 miles across south London.

Day 6 and day 7, tick
mcs
05/12/2012 at 13:35

All the best FI........Dave my OH always says I have no bum either in my jeans!!! Keep up the streak.  Week three of my schedule for the GG.......feeling good on the hills so far. SHould have done more hills before Edinburgh me thinks. Lesson learnt.

06/12/2012 at 09:30

Day 8 and I skipped gym this morning as I was tired. Had a long journey home from London but the good news is that my interview went very well

May venture to gym at lunch and then 7 miles to my mum's house for tea. That should tick day 8 but day 9 and 10 look troublesome. I have Noah all day tomorrow and jo has a Christmas party at night. Can probably get out for 5 miles at night but Saturday is a nightmare. I'm on the 0900 train to Carlisle for the Blades game and have 4 big Stella's in my snap tin for the day. I reckon I could not drink on the way home and then try for about 3-4 miles when I get home about 11pm

mcs
06/12/2012 at 11:35

Late night runs dont you love em not!!!

Did a great interval session this am which was good seeing as how I got to bed at midnight after a fantastic evening at Sheff City Hall warm up act was Nel Bryden, what a singer just her and a guitar, a 1946 Gibson and a voice to die for singing all her own songs. Then two and a half hours of Jools, Ruby Turner, Louise Marshall,  Roland Gift of Five Young Cannibals fame, showing my age abit with him but a great voice. Boogied the whole night as did my 11 year old...........great night.
Returning to more serious stuff.......a freezing morning.........9.13 warm up mile then 7.39-7.11-7.24 then cool down 8.03 and a half mile to finish and felt much easier this week than last weeks interval session.
Frosty here in Bakewell but no snow yet, bad accident on the road to Sheff last night take care out there on the roads.

06/12/2012 at 13:35

FYC = Fine Young Cannibals isn't it? sounds like a good night!

06/12/2012 at 15:22
mcs, thats top running in anyones book mate

Dave, wishing you all the very best with the midnight run!

Fi, hope the family issue is resolved quickly, families can't live with them can't live without them!

my running is going ok, did 10 today at 9m/m felt quite comfortable, have an 18 next week, as I am aining for a 22 on the 27th, must admit I am enjoying the colder weather but am now worrying that all my training is over winter but the race could well be at 25 deg c
mcs
07/12/2012 at 13:48

You are right Dave, showing my age!!! Had a stressful am so popped out the office into the lovely winter sunshine and did a nice four mile in 32 mins down the MOnsal round town and back up the hill to the office. Feel better now. Customer doesn't want to pay up even though he owes us 160K and still expects us to keep supplying him, crazy might try that at the petrol station tonight with the car. Free petrol please I cant pay at the moment......
Have a great weekend. 14 miles approx for me on Sunday according to my schedule. Loving the cold weather running as long as its light....

08/12/2012 at 21:53
Thanks for the welcome back Fi, hope you get your issues sorted out.

Keep up the streak Dave, you're doing well.

Back to heat, enjoyed a few runs while I was home but needed to get wrapped up before I could head out.

Back to shorts and t shirt now though!

Good luck!
09/12/2012 at 17:15

Think I've already posted in this thread but it's been a while so hi again....

About 6 weeks until I start following my 18 week plan. Probably a bit short of where I should be for fitness at the moment but confident that if I stay injury free it'll be ok. 

mcs
11/12/2012 at 11:33

Shorts and t shirts sounds nice WR, two shirts and jacket, skinz and ron hills, hat and gloves this morning as I skated in......wore the Invo8s today as the ground pretty slippy so took the cross country route.

11/12/2012 at 11:42

Just about to head out mcs, it's a bit cooler today - only 19 degrees - but should be okay with just shorts, t-shirt and shades!!

BTW love my inov-8s, they're fantastic shoes.

ADG
11/12/2012 at 12:54

I was out yesterday, no ice at all until I started down the hill, then ice all over the place meant I crawled down, definatley don't want to slip and fall. tread mill beckons I think

ADG
13/12/2012 at 06:52
hey WR, long time no see, great to see you back mate, the weather in your part of the world sounds ace you jammy sod

ADG, MCS, i know how you feel, did an 8 miler yesterday in freezing fog, when i gotback i was coated in a frosty layer, that said i was wrapped up so no issus really, training for a January marathon during the festive month of December is a bloody nightmare, all the crap food constantly on offer and alcohol an absolute no no, and to add insult to injury I am working Xmas day with the happy thought of a 22 miler on the 27th, Xmas! bah humbug
mcs
13/12/2012 at 13:05

Had a five mile hilly cross country to work this morning and boy cold here minus six or seven as I came in, the river was steaming as I came over the bridge in Bakewell...... office is just about got up to 22.......just put up a bird feeder on the office window to feed the blue tits which are gathering, not looking forward to the run home......so cold brrrrrrr.....12 weeks to race day week four of training.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.