Edinburgh Marathon

7,861 to 7,880 of 8,199 messages
13/12/2012 at 22:28

streak over already

Couldn't get out early on Saturday and then got drunk at the football and had a chinese so no running on Sunday either. May try again at some point in the future

14/12/2012 at 01:41
Dave, priceless brill effort all the same mate! am facing my own battles atm, have some long runs due and am fluey with a stonking sore throat - last thing needed when you need to get out in this weather !
mcs
14/12/2012 at 13:52

Ice under wet roads this am deadly struggled and skated in, with out breaking any bones. Dave you need to give up footie bad for you!!! Leads to all sorts of bad stuff!!! Happy weekend all. When will it get light I wonder?

15/12/2012 at 09:46

Had I got the run in on Saturday then I would have manned up and raced on Sunday and the streak would still be going at 17 today

16/12/2012 at 21:59

Forgive me threadees for it has been over a month since my last post...

Pfft Dave that attempt at streaking was pitiful...teehee.

Fi (((hugs))) hope everything is sorting itself out with the family hun...families huh, who needs 'em?

Philby, seriously don't sweat it about the long runs at this late stage... Disney is not about times it's about getting your photo taken with as many characters and believe me in the last few miles of the marathon when all you want to do is walk there are so many characters to stop and have your photo taken with, you have no option but to take it easy.  You will have a blast...am seriously jealous.

Welcome back WR, we've missed you.

GE, I have just been reading about the Cyprus 4 day doofer in RW mag or was it in the WR mag...either way I was reading it and thought...I wonder if that's the one that GE goes to...and I guess it is.

Have had to scrap the bigger challenge for next year...we have really overspent this year and will have to tighten our belts next year in an attempt to save enough for Niagra in 2014...on the plus side it means that I can put my game face on and knuckle down to the training needed to improve my times for the HM...although if yesterdays parkrun was anything to go by I think I need to find my running legs again before I even think about putting my game face on...my best time at Black Park parkrun 28:12... yesterdays...29:32...oh the shame   Is it too late to put a request in to Santa for a pair of faster legs???

17/12/2012 at 09:10

Cazwho???

I agree it is a poor streak but I'm already back up to day 5 and 10% of the way there again! I am out in Cardiff on Wednesday night with a few friends from work but if I can avoid too much beer and do at least a few miles on the treadmill Thursday lunchtime then I'm clear right through until NYE in Scotland which will be day 19 and then were getting somewhere.

If it helps Caz I'm also suffering from a total lack of form and living proof that you can't stay at the top of your game for too long. Had a 37;xx and a 36:19 on Sunday for 10k which is very poor for me but you always learn more from a poor run than you do a good run and on that basis I should be a friggin expert come next March. Finished racing now until probably February when I might venture back in to Parkrun world.

And also to make you feel better Caz my friend who I used to work with many years ago got in touch to ask about Parkrun. Now he's done a triathlon back in the day when we were late 20's and at a time before I found running. Anyway, I told him that Parkrun is great and a good way back and he should try it. He posted a 32 something on his first race back and said it was a leisurley pace! I said I had never heard of ParkWalk before

Will update on my streaking in sporadic fashion.

mcs
17/12/2012 at 13:48

Nice one Dave.......keep that streak going. 7 mile this am and a run home to do sort of long run day as missed the weekend due to stuff.

19/12/2012 at 13:20

Day 7 of the streak and 6 miles done this morning on the treadmill. In fact it was a really good run as it was in the hotel gym in Cardiff where I started running in 2008. It was amazing to think that I used to run 10km on the treadmill in 55 minutes  and weight 13 stone and I was thinking that I was getting somewhere with it! If someone had said then that you'll run a marathon in 2:38 within 4 years I would have said they were nuts. Happy days!

mcs
19/12/2012 at 14:49

Nice one Dave I weigh 12 stone and do a 10K in about 46 minutes so what do I have to do obviously not getting anywhere with it.

20/12/2012 at 09:20

Its very simple mcs but also very dificult at the same time.

I was lucky in that I landed in a job working mainly from home which meant that I could go to the gym every morning for an hour which helps to get the body used to working on a daily basis. It also helps with weight control and getting the body burning calories from the start of the day. I could also get rest at lunchtime (a nice little snooze on the settee) and then train again in the evening.

I managed to put this together over a couple of years which also helps and the consistency is the key to success. Add in some variety in terms of track, hills, tempo, slow, long, strides etc etc etc and away you go.

Told you it was easy!

20/12/2012 at 09:22

Although it's not so easy since Noah arrived on the scene.

Can't make the gym most mornings and struggle to get as many sessions as I would like or need which is why the Amsterdam result was such a surprise.

Wouldn't change the little man for the world though

mcs
20/12/2012 at 10:53

Good advice Dave. They certainly slow you down but rightly so I guess they have to take priority if you are doing the job right.
I am doing okay on the program I am following at the moment into week five but probably need to put more hills in and strides I have never done. Heard Mo Farah's coach say that the gym work he has been doing made all the difference to his results over the last couple of years along with 120 miles per week consistently......EASY then....

20/12/2012 at 14:38

Afternoon all.

Well just about sorted for Xmas in work.  Cannot wait for the break.  Things have settled down although issues still remain but Rome wasn't built in a day.  Thanks for all your kind thoughts - it means a lot.

Running wise - oh crikey! - longest runs at the moment are only about 6 or so.  But getting out at least twice if not 3 times a week so ticking over.  Have felt like I've had a cold or cough brewing for weeks now but managing to keep it at bay.  Shaun though is hacking and snorting and spluttering like a fool for the last week.  Have spent 1 night in Ryan's bed and 1 night in Sam's bed so far just to get some sleep.  But Sam has now put pay to that - raided the house last night and took all his bedroom furniture up to his new house.  I freaked slightly  as he gave me no warning.  Words went along the lines of 'you're wrecking my house to make yours look lovely!' ...................I was tired.  They've been knocking the house around and doing improvements so basically living - no sorry, camping - there.  Yesterday had bedroom carpet fitted so had to get the room all finished.  Oh to be 23 again.

Took some Night Nurse last night just to try and knock myself out (and drown the snoring next to me!) - blooming 'eck - never used it before.  Slept like a log.  Concerned I could now get seriously addicted.

Phil - I do not envy you at all having to do marathon training through this weather.  The thought of it alone makes me shiver. Will be entering Snowdon again next year though I think.  And going to enter The long Course weekend at Tenby - swim, bike and run - Friday, Sat and Sunday.

Shaun has bought me a bike - combined Birthday and Xmas pressie.  Still in the shop in Cardiff so haven't been on it yet.  Really looking forward to getting back on the road and hoping that the cross training will bring my times down.  That's the plan anyway.  See what happens in Llanelli half in March.  Really like a 1.4***?

Well guys - just incase I don't manage to log back on - hope you all have a fantastic Xmas and a very Merry (Sober in Phil's case!) New Year!!  - take care all.  Stay safe.

xxxxxx

22/12/2012 at 15:19
hi you lovely lot what a miserable fortnight, spent most of it ill with proper man flu!!! consequently my run prog is in tatters, longest run in last 10 days is a bloody awful 10 miles but never mind my next planned run is a mere 22 on the 27th, cant wait!

Caz, I think we're all feeling the pinch if not the fiscal cliff I think the yanks are calling it, well I think Jill and I fell straight off it months ago as for the long runs I have 2 planned one on the 12 Jan and then one on the 13th Niagra sounds so cool, stop running awesome marathons, I've told you the fiscal cliff beckons

Dave, good luck with Streak 2, 7 days is awesome in anyone's book, as for training and bringing up a family that's a tough gig however talented you are mate, go easy on yourself !

Fi, good to see you back here, thought we had a "man" overboard Snowdon, wow your hard core, the weather we had was amazing! Sounds like Sam has made you a homeless kids!!! hope your on the mend, my illness wss a belter, streaming snot continually - lovely. Shaun has spoilt you rotten, hope you got him something good, mmm what could you get the man who has everything ???

Mcs, your 10k time bloody good mate, funny thing is 10k would prob be a mid distance run in my current form
23/12/2012 at 21:25

Hi Guys, hope all is good,

Think there's only one Cyprus 4-day, Caz. It's a great event and highly recommended but defiinitely not the cheapest. If my 6 lottery numbers line up any time soon we'll all go and do it next year 

Fi, Snowdon's your sort of race. If you can get the training in you'll smash that PB. Personally will proudly wear that t-shirt until it wears out. Then may have to  think about getting another one...

Phil, hope the training gets back on schedule but it's another race where it's just about getting round and enjoying the experience so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Dave, mcs, good to see you people are keeping the running going.   

Well, it's the day before the day before Christmas and despite the fact that Paris is 16 weeks today I'm not panicking unduly. Not really done much since Cyprus so need to get serious pretty soon. But so pleased the way 2012 has gone. More miles than since I started counting (ok, that was only a couple of years ago) and PBs at 10k and half. Just that marathon one is a bit elusive. Loch Ness 2009 remains my best. Only gave myself one chance this year. Got Edinburgh totally wrong and Snowdon was just about the experience. And wouldn't have missed it for anything. So, maybe Paris...

A Merry Christmas to you and yours,  and if I don't get back on here before 2013 may the New Year be all you wish for. Hope to catch up with you all some time next year.

24/12/2012 at 10:47

Day 12 in the bag already and planning to do Parkrun in the morning pushing a certain little man around - Wonder if I could break 20 minutes?

WR
24/12/2012 at 13:22
Good luck with the streak Dave, nice run in the sun this morning!!! Bit dusty was my only compliant.

Working Xmas day as well Phil and back home on Saturday in time for new year and some running in the freezing rain.

Merry Christmas all and a happy 2013!
25/12/2012 at 12:13

10k done and day 13 in the bag already - well you don't think DT2 will be resting do you?

25/12/2012 at 12:13

oh and happy bloody Christmas - Lots of love uncle Ebenezer X

27/12/2012 at 09:30

need

to

stop 

eating

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.