Edinburgh Marathon

7,921 to 7,940 of 8,199 messages
11/01/2013 at 08:23

Hi Hillheader, hope your trainings going well. If you can get the right balance between recovery and not losing fitness you'll be fine. Did Paris and Edinburgh 2 years ago which were 6 weeks apart. Didn't really work too well for me for a number of reasons too boring to go into now. Personally I'd stay a long way away from this thread at the moment. There appears to be a bug going round. First Philby and now Dave....

Feeling OK myself at the moment, errr touch wood. 18 planned tomorrow hoping to get it in before the promised freeze sets in....

Have a good weekend all.

mcs
11/01/2013 at 11:49

21 miles done this week so far.....new shoes to try this weekend!!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/485545/gallery/speedcross_3s_2.jpg?width=350

11/01/2013 at 12:09

I've not picked up any bugs so far - touch wood.

Those look neat shoes. I like the Solomons for their laces at least.

Snow and ice forecast for next week. Just got a new set of spikes for my "ice" shoes.

Hope people recovering from any bugs. 40 miles so far this week for me. In the hills tomorrow.

11/01/2013 at 13:33

Welcome back hillheader. I did VLM and Edinburgh last year so it's very do-abale and there was less than a minute difference in my times.

RUNSTREAK IS OVER - DAY 30!

Managed 6 miles on day 29 and I felt OK to be honest but I went downhill rapidly after that. To make it worse I was working away in London and as I came back on the train yesterday the train manager wanted to get me medical help. I was in a real shitty state and a little bit delirious.

Anyway, on the antibiotics now and should be back running tomorrow (I wish)

11/01/2013 at 15:07
Dave, 30 is an outstanding streak mate, I will have to give it a go when I get home. Well Florida weather is fantastic, about 25 today, my chest infection is still with me so the half tomorrow will be a perfect indicator of my chances of getting round the full on Sunday, Caz, Bruce the expo was awesome, I have never been in a hall with so many running products for sale and with people who actually understand the runners needs and ambitions, Jill came away with a set of orthotics specifically adjusted for her weirdly flat feet. Anyways, will send a full update after the full on Sunday, hope your all keeping well
11/01/2013 at 16:20
Sounds awesome Philby - will be willing you on with everything I've got. Which isn't a lot in my condition but it all counts.

Have a good couple of runs
11/01/2013 at 20:03
Good luck Philby on both races. Still sounds too hot for me for a marathon! I like it cold and icy!

Hope you recover Dave. Good effort.
11/01/2013 at 21:02
Hillheader, me too, the prospect of anything over 15 deg c scares me s***less, the half should be done by 9am, so prob about 17-18 but I wont get through the full till at least 11:30 and its def plus 20 by then so that for me is going to be a mare, I love cold weather running, zero is literally perfect for me!
WR
11/01/2013 at 21:55
Good luck for the weekend Phil, sounds awesome, maybe some day!

Great streaking Dave but all good things must come to an end! Got a 7.52 mile run in today in the sunshine, temps low 20s here and very nice!

Hill header, I've done Belfast and Edinburgh before, they were 20 days apart and I didn't have any problems, if your trainings good everything will be fine.

Nice shoes mcs although I prefer inov8s - personal choice!

Good luck for the weekend everyone!
WR
11/01/2013 at 22:05
Phil remember Edinburgh a few years ago, it was in the 20s 2009/2010 if I remember correctly, you'll be fine!
11/01/2013 at 23:01
WR, thanks mate, Edi was horrid, plus 23 I think, I got round but man it was ard ! Its a 6:30 am start, so hopefully I will be through the bulk of it before it hits plus 20, as I rememer at Edi it was over 20 as early as mile 4! Keep thinking positive thoughts
12/01/2013 at 07:50
Good luck Philby, just getting ready for parkrun and a lovely 1 degree outside, perfick weather, yes Edinburgh was quite warm, my scalp has never recovered.
12/01/2013 at 08:06

Has anybody got a spare set of lungs I can borrow until mine have evicted this phlegm gremlin?  Started with a stupid dry cough before Christmas which has developed nicely into a hacking phlemmy cough...very attractive   Playing havoc with the running I can tell you.

I can confirm by the end of the marathon it is getting a tad warm but not unbearable so you'll be fine Philby...its the 20th Anniversary of the marathon this year so there is something special planned at mile 20 and the Mickey medal is a special one...we've seen pictures of it and it looks seriously awesome.

We'll be at Edinburgh...we're doin the half so we'll keep the seats warm in the White Hart...Is it recovery KK doughnuts this year Dave???

Snow is predicted for Monday, I've seen some Yaktrax somewhere recently but I can't think for the life of me where I saw them so may have to go on the hunt this weekend. 

We're off to parkrun shortly and then heading up to Gretna to pick up Mr CS bird...he had a cockatiel (Spikey) when we started going together but when we moved in together he got shipped off up to Mr CS parents...unfortunately they're going to Oz for 2 months so Spikey has got to come and stop with us. 

12/01/2013 at 13:37

Just back from a hill run with club - innov8 were good. About 8in of snow higher up with lots of slush lower down. Might be able to get my running snow shoes out soon!

Hope you soon get better Caz - miserable trying to exercise with a cough / cold. Hot whisky and honey perhaps?

12/01/2013 at 15:24
Morning all, just got back from the half, my god it was jammed, never seen that many people assembled in one location at stupid o'clock in the morning, well I got round in 2:05 all the way around my chest was fine, when I stopped I had a cough session for about 10 minutes, legs are tired, the sun was well and truly up by 7:40, so tomorrow is gonna be a tough day at the office, even though I managed to get a B corral placement a start at 5:40 will hopefully be a finish by approx 1030? So the temps will be above 20 by then, not really sure what best strategy is with my current fitness levels, either go out at 09:30 pace which I did today and see how long I can keep going or go out at 10:15 pace conserving energy but running longer in the heat ???
mcs
12/01/2013 at 18:54
Well done phil. All the best for tomorrow.
Yaktrax are sold by Cotswold and go outdoors.
19.3 miles of very. Hilly hilly muddy and tough route cross country through Chatsworth and all the Edges. Dead now but no snow here yet. Enjoy the weekend guys.
12/01/2013 at 20:01

Phil you can't have got many pictures with the characters...that's the whole point of travelling a million billion miles to run nearly 40miles in a weekend   Personally I'd set off at the slower pace and get maximum exposure with Mickey Mouse...it is HIS weekend after all.   Well done on the time though hunny.

12/01/2013 at 20:29
Well done Phil. Enjoy the full. That's a tough weekend.
12/01/2013 at 20:40
Hillheader, mcs cheers guys, Caz, I did get some low quality video as we moved down to the corrals but you are right, maybe a bit of walking tomorrow wouldn't be a bad idea its that stupid pride thing I suppose! Well based on my legs atm I may well have to bloody walk it anyway
12/01/2013 at 20:59

Well done Phil. Said before just enjoy the sights tomorrow. If you really want to set a marathon PB we'll pick one for the Autumn...... 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.