Edinburgh Marathon

7,941 to 7,960 of 8,200 messages
13/01/2013 at 20:20
Well done Phil, how'd it go today?
13/01/2013 at 20:46
Hi WR, had a stinker of a night this bloody chest complaint didnt give me any rest, its been with me over 2 weekd now, anyways got to the start line feeling unwell and decided I would adopt the run walk run Galloway method as I was in no shape to run the race, lo g story short a very hard day in plus 27 degrees which is about 27 more than I like, crossed the line in chip time of 4:38 watch time 4:35, have to say the event is outstandingly well run, the support around the course was simply outstanding, Caz, I know you will be more than a little annoyed as I didn't get any snaps with the disney characters but I was honestly in survival mode the whole day. What I can say to you all is if you are considering a US marathon this one is hard to beat that daid a real marathon vet said the best US one is Chicago! Jill has put some pics on Facebook, as you will see my only current priority is to down large quantities of lager
13/01/2013 at 22:02

Phil, fantastic time in all the circs. Well done mate. You enjoy that lager. Now all we need to do is pick an Autumn marathon...... Chicago???

13/01/2013 at 22:11
Well done Phil. Good effort. Enjoy the beer!

I've done Chicago twice. 2 years back the last time. Too hot. Not all neighbourhoods that good but crowds are great. New York better. I've enjoyed smaller races more though. San Antonio and a tiny marathon called Tyler Rose.

Gentle 11 miles this evening. Frosty and a few flurries. Lots of snow forecast for tomorrow!
13/01/2013 at 22:20
Well done Phil, you deserve that drink!
14/01/2013 at 17:12

Well done Philby, that's some great running with a chest infection mate, i only just managed 5k at parkrun on my comeback and i felt like shite so to run a half and a full in 2 days is unbelievable, let the beer flow!!

Well, 2 years ago i ran a 6 hour trail race (7k laps) with a mate and found it quite difficult (we did 4 laps each in 5 hours) so what have i done?? that's right, decided to run it on my own this year, if anything is going to keep me focused on weight loss and form then this should be it. My plan is to complete 8 x 7k laps during the race which i feel i can do speedwise (10 min/mile av) i just need to sort my fueling strategy out. Also with all the training i'm hoping i will be able to crack my half pb (1.38) in early May, nothing like i challenge or 2 to get the blood pumping.

Just ordered these bad boys ready for July.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/196872/gallery/brooks_cascadia_1.jpg?width=195&height=293&mode=max

14/01/2013 at 18:35
Beavis, thanks mate, it was a medical miracle I finished ! As for your half pb, mine is 1:41 so fancy a tenner bet on which of us can beat our orig pb by the most by the years end ?
Edited: 14/01/2013 at 18:36
14/01/2013 at 18:40

Beavis - sounds like a good challenge. Is this the start of a move into ultras?

16/01/2013 at 08:09

Beavis, that looks like a different sort of challenge. Is it local? A friend of mine is seriously considering the Wall which I think Caz has mentioned. 69 miles over 2 days along Hadrians Wall (you can do it in 1 day ). She hasn't talked me into doing it yet but I'm probably going to have a bash at the Salisbury 54321 which is 50k pretty much off road in August.

Have to get Paris out of the way first. Got 18 miles done on Saturday and looking to get the first 20 in this weekend. If the weather holds that is. Just heard that there may be some serious snow in the West Mids from Friday. It's bloomin cold enough for it.

16/01/2013 at 08:17
Certainly cold here (Scottish highlands) but nothing unexpected. I love running the trails when they are well frozen with a few inches of fresh snow. Sublime - especially by moonlight.

When is Paris?
16/01/2013 at 10:19
GE, it's on Cannock Chase at the end of July, just waiting for the website to put this years info on then I'll be entering, it's organised by lovelifeloverunning, will be camping for the weekend aswell as there's a 10k on the Saturday (not running this) and they had a run and ride event on the Saturday night last year which was fun to watch.
mcs
16/01/2013 at 16:18

minus 6 here snow and ice still hanging around.....thank goodness for my Speedcross shoes......well done Phil, where is this autumn marathon then?? Smash down pb??

16/01/2013 at 17:29
Hi mcs, no more marathons for me mate, concentrating on the half now with some pie in the sky ambition of getting under 1:30!
16/01/2013 at 19:17

Philby, was thinking about taking you up on your half pb challenge but i've seriously got second thoughts now you've posted that, i was thinking breaking mine by 2 minutes at most not 11, oh what the hell, go on then, i'll put your tenner to one side ready.

Woo Hoo, trail shoes have arrived, think i might have to head up to Cannock on Monday for a little run to start breaking them in, no parkrun this week as got to work but it's looking like it may be cancelled anyway as the course was snow covered earlier in the week and it hasn't melted and now frozen solid with no sign of thawing.

17/01/2013 at 07:57

Hillheader, Paris is 7 April so it'll soon be here. Don't have too many moonlit trails in the Black Country but we've got lots of icy pavements at the moment. Got out for a quickish 5 with the club last night and conditions underfoot were ok.

Come on Phil. You'd love another autumn marathon, Chester, Loch Ness,... Palma? Think Snowdonia still has places.... . And all that mileage is bound to help reduce your half PB. Sub 1:30 would be seriously good. 

mcs
17/01/2013 at 13:56

Snowden sounds like a nice one, shame I said no more to my OH.

17/01/2013 at 14:15
GE, I've a marathon a few days after Paris on 11th April. Good timing wrt Edinburgh.

Indeed less than 3 months away.

Never make promises like that MCS! You know you'll have to backtrack!
17/01/2013 at 22:00

mcs, you'd love Snowdon. I'm sure the OH would really enjoy a weekend away in Wales. 

Hillheader, which marathon is that? On a Thursday??

19/01/2013 at 10:31

Loch Nessssssssssssss....  I'm sure I said NEVER AGAIN after Edinburgh and yet this year we've got numbers 4 & 5 planned...not too sure how that happened

I did indeed mention The Wall GE, I fancy doing it...not sure what year we can fit it in though...65 miles over 1 or 2 days depending on how mental you're feeling.

GE are you buried under a ton of snow???  I'm sure you were meant to have a red warning over your house... I wonder how Fi is getting on, her house was under a red warning sticker too. Our snow-mageddon is a bit unimpressive...have ordered some Yaktrax just to be on the safe side though...just waiting for postie to bring them to me.

11mins off your half PB Philby???   That's going to take some serious speed training and grimacing......... probably in that order LOL.

19/01/2013 at 11:15
I double checked. Marathon is 9th April. On a Tuesday. At North Pole.

Got some good running in last night in a snowstorm. Came back looking like a snowman. Wearing spikes.

Loch Ness is my local marathon. I enjoy it as mainly downhill. Not doing it this year though.

Away to ski with kids now. Still snowing.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.