Edinburgh Marathon

61 to 80 of 8,200 messages
21/09/2009 at 11:25

hi bburn plodder scares the c*** out of me to even think about it at the mo, im lucky with the training as i work afternoons and my kids catch the 7.30am bus for school so im free to go out after that. Well done on the GNR i did it last year as my first half, done 9 more since then and 3 more planned this year. Happy training xx

Caz, yes i think i must be mad, but you only live once why not go for it lol

as long as i get round and finish im not bothered about the time, its a massive achievement for me to get where i am now. I've gone from 20 stone couch potato to 11 stone runner in 3 years and if i want to try it then nothing is gonna stop me anymore  thats why i like to keep myself focused with at least 1 race a month, helps me keep my mind out of the fridge

23/09/2009 at 13:17

Caz,  My foot seems to have eased a bit.  Actually forgot I went over on my wedge sandal thing on Sat night so it might have been that!  I wasn't even drunk.  Did a "speed session" (ha ha ) yesterday.  God, I hate them!  I felt sick!  I just don't feel like my body was meant to go fast, I feel like a hippo in a boobtube! 

Hi bburn plodder, well done on your GNR, I saw it on TV and it looked like a great atmosphere.  It will be fun preparing for this and supporting one another.  It IS a scarey prospect but it is possible and who knows we might get hooked!

Angela, that is amazing.............to lose all that weight and transform your life so completely!  Brilliant!  You do race alot, I am really impressed.  I know what you mean though, if you have a race to do then it makes you stay on track with your training and that can only be a good thing. 

Have a good week all x

23/09/2009 at 13:33

im finding races very addictive i love the atomsphere even the small local ones 

in fact the smaller ones are better. got a great local half in nov its only 9 miles from my house so when i finish i ring hubby and by the time im back the bath is ready and waiting 

and im not bothered about where i come in, as long as ive done it, who cares i dont  

23/09/2009 at 13:50

lol hippo in a boobtube, what a fantastic description.     Glad your foot is feeling better Lucy, probably was the sandals.

Well done on the GNR bburn plodder, it looked stupidly busy but I bet its great for the atmosphere all the way round.

That is a brilliant weight loss Angela, well done and I love your attitude to races... I check the previous years results just to make sure I'm not going to be last.  I accept I'll be at the tail end of the finishers but  I dont want to be last.

Have bought some new socks that are meant to help with overpronating so hopefully the socks combined with the trainers will sort my foot out once and for all.  Can't afford to keep trailing back to the physio.

23/09/2009 at 14:01

Angela I also salute you!  Caz, I also check the last years results!  As you say  Angela it is enough of an achievement to get round though. 

Those socks sound fascinating!  How do they work? x

Just an aside, we are picking up our new puppy Lottie in about one hours time!  We are nearly bouncing off the walls with excitement here!  Don't know how my daughter is getting through the afternoon, she is probably driving her teacher round the bend.........."I'm getting my puppy today, I'm getting my puppy today...........when is it home time.........I'm getting my puppy today!"   Yippppeeeeeee!!!! 

bburn plO.dder    pirate
23/09/2009 at 14:30

Angela, that is amazing weight loss, so well done from me too. I've managed to lose quite a lot too, but it's taken me a lot longer, and not quite as much as you either. From my fattest (i still cringe when I look at the photos), it's been 9 years OMG!, but I've managed to lose 7 stone. I just wish I'd found running earlier, 4 of those 7 are just in the last 18months since I took up running!

Thanks for GNR comments, it was an amazing event, with a fantastic atmosphere. It was crowded, and surprisingly hilly, so definitely not a PB course. Me and my friend raised about £900 for Chrisitie's cancer hospital in Manchester, so it was well worth it.

And I'll never forget running over the Tyne bridge with the Red Arrows flying overhead

I've never heard of those socks Caz, definitely of interest though, as I overpronate.

23/09/2009 at 14:37

Linky thing to socks I'm trying them out tonight on a little 4mile run, so I'll let you know how I get on with them.  I'm really hoping they live up to the hype.

Wow, 7 stone bburn??  Thats a fab loss and well done for keeping it off. 

Oooooh a new puppy... Can guarantee your daughter will be bouncing off the walls by now with excitement lol.

23/09/2009 at 14:57

Boy am I glad this marathon is 7 months away...

I did a 14 mile run last night before my taper begins ahead of the Warrington Half.

First 9 miles I felt great, but from 10 miles onwards it hurt more and more and more until I was moaning and swearing out loud by the last half mile!

I've covered the distance before and dont recall it being quite that difficult... perhaps walking up Blencathra at the weekend may not have helped!

If I'm feeling so tired after 14 miles I have a long way to go bfore I'm ready for 26.2!!

23/09/2009 at 21:21

You did fuel properly didn't you Kicked-It???  I flag at 9miles if I haven't scoffed a jelly baby by 8miles.  Well done on your 14miles btw, the longest I did in training for glasgow half was 12miles.

I am happy to report... the socks worked.   They are in the washer now so they're dry for Saturdays run and then they'll get washed again and packed away ready for the River Ness 10k.

24/09/2009 at 08:42
Hi guys, thought I'd jump on this thread. I'm considering Edinburgh next year, just waiting to see if I get a place in London though before entering. Just done my first full at Nottingham and I'm really looking forward to the chance of beating my time (4:27) and I think Edinburgh will give me that opportunity!!

My next event is the Worksop half at the end of October so I need to get back into the training!!
bburn plO.dder    pirate
24/09/2009 at 09:44

Welcome HIll1. You're one step ahead of me, I've never done a full before, Edinburgh will be my first. I'm still trying not to think about the scary distance!

Kicked-It, it's weird sometimes, for no apparent reason it feels really hard work, but 14's a long way. Maybe jelly babies is the way to go . I've started substituting jelly babies with Tutie Fruitie's because I love 'em. I figure sugar is sugar, so you may aswell get your favorite sweets!

Caz I am definitely going to get those socks. I've been having real problems with feet recently (mainly shoe related), but I'm willing to use anything that helps. Only problem is, when I get on Wiggle I usually end up ordering lots of lovely teeshirts and tights . I just can't help myself   

24/09/2009 at 10:15

Tell me about it bburn, my poor credit card has taken a right bashing since I discovered Wiggle.. Have got some lovely new winter kit though.   They have some lovely long sleeved base layers with 10% off at the moment.

Re the jelly babies, I have been know to stand in the supermarket comparing the nutritional information on the back of sweetie packets to see which ones would be most beneficial... Percy Pigs look like they could be quite good but they might be a bit big to eat and maintain heavy breathing at the same time without choking.

Just do it Hill1, get signed up... You know you wanna really.

24/09/2009 at 10:41

hi hill1 welcome to the thread

im keeping fingers crossed for london too

and like yourself im in the worksop half in october look out for me im number 19, if your doing that why not try the clowne half in november is was freezing last year but its a good course and a friendly one too. a few more hills than worksop but nothing too hard.

bburn, any weight loss is good no matter how long it takes this was the 4th time trying for me and now that ive found this running bug its really staying off

i ve started to plan a few longer runs ready for marathon training, trying to find them with not many hills is a bit of a problem in derbyshire, so might have to go over lincoln way a bit next year for the 20 miler. anyway thats ages away at the mo

Edited: 24/09/2009 at 10:42
bburn plO.dder    pirate
24/09/2009 at 11:00

Angela, hills are a bit of a problem in my neck of the woods too. Pretty unavoidable.

I've no races planned until a local 10k at the end of November, so I have just started having a go at "Base Training". It's a bit weird, but everybody says it works...........we will see.

Mr Plodder bought me a Garmin 405 with HRM for my birthday, for base training and marathon training - what a sweetie!

I had my first run at it yesterday, I did 4 miles, and to keep my heart rate below the target I had to run at 10.8 minute miles  That was very weird, almost felt like I was walking. I'm usually around 9 - 9.5 pace, so it was nice and easy . Seems completely back to front way of making me faster and fitter,but hay ho, I'm willing to give it a go.

24/09/2009 at 11:47

i got the garmin 305 as an early birthday prezzie from my mum and love running with it now can go where ever i want on or off road and not have to guess how far ive been, not tried it with the HRM yet im about the same pace as you 9-9.5 all depends on how i feel when i get up in the morning

im off out for a 10+ tomoz got a route planned but if i feel ok then i will add to it

24/09/2009 at 13:29

Ok so I wont be seeing you two for dust at Edinburgh then... I'm a happy little 11min miler... *plod plod plod*  Feel free to give me a little wave on the out and back stretch along the sea front.

Am toying with the idea of a garmin, I'm using a Nike+ sportsband at the moment and although sometimes a bit eratic on the pace (12:54 to 10:17 in a step or two)  it seems to be fairly accurate for the most part.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
24/09/2009 at 14:03

I love my new garmin, but it was very expensive. It took several very heavy hints before he finally asked if I would like one for my birthday (and I don't think at that point he had a clue how much they cost).

I agree Angela, the GPS thingy is great.

Caz, I've bought the socks........also secumbed to a long sleeve base layer and a rather nice red hoody. Couldn't resist. I don't even know when I'll wear a "technical" hoody, but it matches my new long winter Addidas tights, so what the heck !

24/09/2009 at 16:39

hi guys i am  considering putting my name in the mixer for this one!

I am doing a marathon in Leicester first in October so i want to get that out of the way first before i comitt to another big one!

25/09/2009 at 07:11
hi jimmy, good luck with leicester
27/09/2009 at 23:19

Hello Jimmy,  Hope Leicester goes well.  i don't know anything about that race.  Is it a big one? 

Angela and bburn plodder, I am doing base training as part of my marathon preparation and it is really paying dividends.  I don't really know why I didn't do it before.  Mind you i don't run that fast anyway so it isn't too difficult for me to adjust! 

I love my Garmin, although it is the cheapest one and it is a bit like wearing a brick on my wrist.  It's great though.  i love knowing exactly how far I've gone.  i was using a Nike plus too Caz before my Garmin but it kept malfunctioning and making me think I was running 8 minute miles!   Mind you the other day I actually did but only kept it up for 2 miles! 

Puppy is unbelievably wonderful.  We are all in love!   

61 to 80 of 8,200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.