Edinburgh Marathon

8,061 to 8,080 of 8,202 messages
18/03/2013 at 22:58

So Dave, you were 3 mins per mile faster than me. Amazing. Although I did run a genuine negative split with my last mile (up that hill!), my fastest, 8:22  Things must be looking good for you for London. What's the target this year?

Some of my friends have done Lichfield, Beavis, and recommended it highly. See you there. Presume you'll be PB hunting in view of your wager with Philby.

19/03/2013 at 11:33

I'm not nailing my colours to any particular mast this year GE. London will be what it will be but............................................

My training has gone better than ever apart from a week of lurgy in January and a strained hamstring for a few days in Feb. My strength work in December has been the key to it all and I'm feeling confident. Already PB'd at half and 20 miles and hoping to complete the set with a parkrun and a 10k the week before London.

I think my biggest challenge in the build up will be to keep my mouth zipped up. I'm always one for putting targets out there as I feel it's a good motivator but as you get higher up the ladder it can become a millstone round your neck.

So, no targets, no pressure, no family supporting me, no traipsing around all day before the race either. Just me and 26.2 miles with beer for dessert!

19/03/2013 at 13:38

Dave spot on, why not just run for fun 

Well just signed up for the following:

Alexander The Great Half Marathon 16 Jun

Race the Train 17 Aug

Cardiff Half Marathon 6 Oct

Looking forward to that lot, but still looking for something possibly a 10k to half  between now and the 16 Jun within reasonable travelling distance, any suggestions ?

19/03/2013 at 20:37

Edinburgh half Philby???

Hahahahahahaha freisan...love it.

Well done on the Ashby you two, excellent results there

Dave whatever you do in London you can bet your bum we'll all be suitably impressed...oh and glued to the red button trying to spot you and the elusive Mr Tanner as you come through the finish line.

I've come to the conclusion I prefer farting...sorry I mean fartlek to proper intervals...especially in the evening.  Intervals are too much like hard work after work, I find them more tolerable at the weekend so I think I'm going to stick with that plan...farting mid-week and tempo at the weekend.

20/03/2013 at 23:01

Those Freisians could have done with a couple of Jerseys...

Sounds good Dave. Looks like a plan. Especially the dessert.

Caz, interesting theory. Does the wind assistance help you run faster?

Phil, not sure what you call reasonable travelling distance but I see the Alexander is in Northants so a fair distance.

As you know, I'm doing Lichfield Half on 5 May as is Beavis.

My other planned races are later in the year but one of my favourites is the B'ham Black Country Half on 6 July. A Saturday race from Wolves to Brum on the canal finishing in Brindley Place surrounded by pubs where you can toast your run. Also had showers available last year.

Wolves Half on 1 September. Not the most picturesque of runs but obviously one of my local races.

21/03/2013 at 18:24
Caz, honestly if it wasn't for the distinct possibility that this is probably the last time I see Rush live I would be at Edinburgh !!!

GE, Northants is only 80 miles so well under 2 hrs driving which is fine by me, the other reason want to do it is the proceeds are going towards injured serviceman so if anyone would like to sponsor me ???
Edited: 21/03/2013 at 18:27
22/03/2013 at 08:41

So how far's Brum, Phil? A couple of beers in Brindley Place on 6 July sounds like a great idea at the moment looking out on yet more snow. Supposed to be running Ironbridge Half on Sunday. We shall see!

Be very happy to contribute to a great cause, Phil. Can I do that on-line or shall I send a cheque... 

23/03/2013 at 21:24

GE, thanks for that mate, I will be back to work on Monday and will see if I can squeeze the 6 Jul in??? It's Laura's birthday on 7 Jul so I may not be able to night stop but we will see. Well have had a extremely busy week, last weekend Jill and I had Toby to give Laura and Dave a much needed break just before she is due to give birth again, could be any day now!!! Then this Friday Adam got married to Naomi, a fantastic day for all and today we are all nursing sore heads... Did manage to get some interval training in on Thu and will hopefully resume normal trainiing on Wed when I go back onto nights

29/03/2013 at 00:59
Well Thursdays intervals went really well and I followed it up with a 6 miler at 8:20 a mile the following day but wheels feel of the wagon on Saturday when I woke up to a really bad case of sciatica which is STILL with me

If anyone has some advice on how to best relieve the body pain I would be very grateful. ...
Edited: 29/03/2013 at 01:01
31/03/2013 at 16:33
Bloody sciatica still with me, gentle jogging just about possible but cannot stretch legs out as fully as I want. If it carries on I may give in and see the Doc which believe me is for me a complete disaster as military doctors are so defensive when making decisions you are lucky to leave without a sodding referral for a time wasting appointment at the other end of the bloody country
Edited: 31/03/2013 at 16:36
31/03/2013 at 16:45

I find alcohol works well to relive pain Philby - not much help I know but I hope it starts to improve soon.

Talking of injury DT2 is not in good shape for London and looks like mising out. He's had a disasterous run of luck with knee, calf and now a groin injury. Just doesn't seem to be able to pull it together for any period of time. I'm gutted for him and it won't be the same at London without him chasing me down.

I'm struggling with a chest infection at the moment but nothing too major. Managed 22 miles this morning and just completed my first ever 300 mile month so it all looks good for London and Edinburgh.

Right, I'm off to watch Jo and the kids eat chocolate - happy days!

31/03/2013 at 18:22
Dave you really made me smile there "just managed 22 this morning" I should be so lucky. Really sad to hear DT2 is struggling as I know only too well being injured is bloody horrible. Hope you can resist the chocolate I honestly believe the majority of the modern world are sugar addicts! Including me
Edited: 31/03/2013 at 18:25
31/03/2013 at 19:43
No injuries here, just not too many miles due to the heat, running about 40 miles a week at the minute with no specific goal.

Hope all the injuries clear up and you all reach your goals!
31/03/2013 at 19:44
Oh yeah Dave, just 22 miles - you're ready for an ultra!!!
31/03/2013 at 21:51
Phil, hope the sciatica clears up soon.

Echo Phil's comments. Sorry to hear that DT2 is having a bad time.

And then I read that Dave's done just 22 miles and WR is doing 40 miles a week with no specific goal. I never run 22 miles unless it's during a marathon and 40 miles a week is marathon training for me. Awesome, guys.

7 days to Paris so not much running for me. Feel I'm in decent shape. Would like to feel I could be around 3:45. But will always take under 4.
31/03/2013 at 22:27

Can't believe I'm looking for a job AGAIN...oh well I guess I can always become an elite athlete or a Jeremy Kyle watching pyjama wearing slob

We've been down to Londonium for the weekend to see the parentals and collect some chocolate...the scales beckon tomorrow and I don't think it's going to pretty...actually I KNOW it's not going to be pretty I have seriously stuffed my face this week.

Sorry to hear DT2 is having a tough time of it just lately, hopefully he can pull it all back together in time for Edinburgh.  Well done on the "just 22miles" Dave...we've got 16 scheduled for tomorrow but there is danger of a sugar crash so we'll see.  There's always Saturday's 20 miler to redeem myself if I do blow up tomorrow.

Phil there are some stretches you can do for sciatica, might be worth a google and if you find some that help keep up with them to keep it at bay.

Oooh I'll keep my fingers crossed for the 3:45 GE

31/03/2013 at 22:50
Thanks Caz, will see what Doc says Tuesday and then the oracle that is google after that. Sorry to hear about your job woes, keeping all parts of my anatomy crossed for you and i wouldn't bother with the scales it won't make you feel any better. Get back into the Grove and weigh in a couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed for you GE, sub 4 will be great anything under that will be a Billy Bonus
01/04/2013 at 09:27

Caz, sorry about the job issues. Hope you find something else quickly. Good luck with the 16, and the 20...

03/04/2013 at 22:58

Just 5 miles tonight and that's me finished until Sunday unless I decide to do the 5k breakfast run on Saturday morning. As usual excited and nervous at the same time. Just need to get all the lists together and the packing done. Don't forget the shoes...

GTC
04/04/2013 at 12:26

Tiny request - if you are doing Edinburgh would you please consider participating in my study which you can find on the Spring marathon thread as MSc Research Project requires marathon runners - no electrodes!

It's about using a positively focused self-talk technique to increase your resilience and positive affect (that's the strong positive moods that you can control).

It is straightforward and might just provide an additional tool to conquer the mental aspects of tackling  a marathon. Drop me a line if you would like more details. 

Cheers.

GTC
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.