Edinburgh Marathon

81 to 100 of 8,202 messages
28/09/2009 at 06:42

Morning all, just grabbing a minute before my 17 month old DD gets up to introduce myself.

I am signed up to do Edinburgh as my first marathon.  I am questioning my sanity as did the GNR last weekend and went about it all wrong making it much harder than it should have been! lol started out too fast, and finished in 2 hrs 5.  Have been running for 3 years (with a break to have a baby) and done 3 HMs now, so decided to take the plunge and do the full next year.

I still can't imagine how I will feel running that far, furthest run so far is 14.5 miles and that was tough.  Still, I have identified my plan and will try and keep up 25 mpw until new year, when the plan will kick in.

Nice to 'meet' you all and I look forward to training alongside you all........

28/09/2009 at 07:17

Hello Beebers,

Good to meet you.  You are doing really well to manage all that running with a toddler!  I know exactly what you mean about the distance............my god it is a long way.  I have run 3 halves as well and I have also found them hard and at about 11 miles I've thought "Mmmmm maybe a marathon isn't such a great idea!" 

However, I'm hoping that once my long runs start to increase I will feel a bit better about it.  After all we don't ever have to do one again if we don't want to!  I want to do one though, just to say "I've run a marathon!". 

Happy training x

bburn plO.dder    pirate
28/09/2009 at 09:41

Hello Beebers.

There must be something about doing 3 half, lol, that's my total too .

I also did GNR in 2.05, so snap!

The first "proper" outdoor base training run was on Saturday afternoon (previous ones on the dreaded treadie). It was very interesting.............. The slightest hill and my heart rate shot up over the 70% max, so I had to really slow down, in fact virtually walk.

It felt really slow, and everytime I met anybody I had to really fight the urge to speed up - I kept thinking to myself, I must look like I can't run!! But everybody tells me it's going to work, and Lucy clearly you think it's working for you. So I managed 5 m Saturday and 7m Sunday. LSR didn't happen though........., not enough time on Sunday.

28/09/2009 at 10:37

i'm thinking of doing base training between now and december before starting marathon training again, is it just a case of always running slow and keeping your heart rate below 70%?

i did the windsor half yesterday and my average was 80% with a max of 98%, but normally my training runs are about 75%. how long do you think it takes to see an improvement?

thanks, dee dee

bburn plO.dder    pirate
28/09/2009 at 10:44

Hi Dee dee,

Well done on windsor half. I'm new to all this base training, but I got a book called heart rate training for compleat beginners by some guy called J Parker (off Amazon).

And basically, yep as far as I understand it, lots of miles with HR below 70% of working heart rate, with perhaps one shorter "fast" run per week (>85%). According to the book you should see improvements after about a month............I only started last week lol

28/09/2009 at 10:47

thanks, i might see if i can get that book and have a look, keep us posted on how its going

02/10/2009 at 13:53

Hi all, sorry to resurrect an old thread but i couldn't believe the same like minded people on this.  Just got refused from London so thought i'd do Edi as my 1st marathon before I'm 40!  Fractured my pelvis 3 months ago and back jog/walk rehab and it's going great along with X-training! Only done 1 10k in my life in June (unbeknown to me with a stress fracture of the pelvis...thought it was a wee strain)

Anyway, I had some concerns 1) the distance, 2) Edi seemed a shambles last year and there are more runners, 3) i'm back to 30 mins run/walk/jog and just going to ponder on for a month or so to gain strength but is this enough time as 4) ive only got less than a years running experience (3 of which i was injured).  Anyhoo I've paid my 42 quid....ooooohhh what have i done

bburn plO.dder    pirate
02/10/2009 at 15:14

Welcome Shedboy,

I think everybody on this thread is "bricking it" about the distance, lol.

Don't worry, there's plenty of time............

02/10/2009 at 17:31

cool thank you bp!  Ha building up slowly, just about

anyone got some good running schedules for between now and new year? to pick it up for main training

oh just noticed the book you were talking about ... will have a look but i hate doing training by heart rate

02/10/2009 at 23:48

Hi all,

Have choose Edinburgh as my first full marathon (o.k, it had a little bit too do with getting the rejection letter for the VLM), but hey, I'm in for a long jaunt around Scotland now!

What was I thinking, 26.2 miles, thats a long way! The maximum I've run before was about 15.5 miles and my knee felt like it was going to explode and i had to stop, but I have a few halfs under my belt now and am running between 29 and 35 miles a week now, so hopefully I have a good base to build on.

By the time it comes around I would of been running for 2 years and to think I struggled to complete a mile and a half when I first started.

Well, good luck everyone and happy running.

Hope the training goes well!

03/10/2009 at 11:20

Doing my first half marathon tomorrow at Warrington so I shoul dhave an idea just how far off I am from being anywhere near capable of completing Edinburgh!

Got my accomodation booked and sorted so we are defiitely going! The wife has told me that after all that expense I had better finish even if I have to crawl round - she says I'm not coming home without a medal no matter how long it takes me!

I think thats called support....???

Also - why is it that every time you mention to a work colleague or a friend that you are running the Edinburgh marathon, they say, "oooh - why dont you do the LONDON marathon!"... like its longer or something?

Its some kind of assumption that becuase it isnt London, it must be special Scottish miles which are obviously shorter than London ones!!!

03/10/2009 at 14:52

Good luck tomorrow Kicked it!

Your be fine provided you've put in the necessary training prior, my sticking point is still between the 10th and 11th mile when I begin to think to much but after that I know I'm practically there and have run that sort little distance hundreds of times to make it to the finish line.

Break it down into segments, try not to think of it as a whole, 2 10K's and a jog down to the shops.

Hope it goes well!

I need to pull my finger out and sort out some accomodation before it all goes and I have to run a marathon before I get to the start line!

My partner is the same mate, she's wonderful and drives me the width and length of the country to be my one-person support crew and I have the cheek to stick my headphones on and bearly notice her sometimes, especially near the finish line when my concentration is centred on making it to the end.

As for everyone saying about the VLM, its the same for us all mate, I think people believe its the only one in exsistance or something like that. I understand it to a degree because it is the largest fundraising sports event that only lasts for few hours.

But seriously people, do you really know how hard it is to get a place, I enjoy running for charity, but don't want to at every event, plus the fact that some of the charities ask you to guarantee that you will raise a specific amount. Do that not know that there is a lot of people struggling out there financially, and that friends and family do eventually get bored of "would you like to sponsor me!"

Will run for charity at Edinburgh, but it'll be my choice who I run for, and I know that by paying for my own place, all the money raised will go to the charity and to helping a good cause.

Anyway, enough of my ranting.

Once again, Kicked-it, best of luck for tomorrow.

Happy running all!

04/10/2009 at 16:24

hi all

hows everyones running doing i managed 2 runs on holidays was way too hot for anymore

so out this week for a few more runs before next sundays perkins half in peterborough, where im dragging my sister out on her first half marathon (she is bricking it).

just ordered my in training t shirt  so will be wearing it with pride when it comes

230 days to go

04/10/2009 at 22:13

Hi Everybody

I'm thinking seriously about signing up for this one, I've only had one half marathon experience (GNR 1h 49) and I've run a few 10k ish distances, just have logistical concerns really as I know it's a nightmare to park in Edinburgh and getting out of South Shields after the Great North run was such a trauma I'm really hoping that it wont be a repeat performance.

Have just run the Burnley Fire station 7 mile and still struggling with pain on right side of torso, bit like a semi permanent stitch..ouch!

bburn plO.dder    pirate
05/10/2009 at 09:33

Hey Nicola, if you ran the Burnley Fire Station 7, you might live near me!!

I've booked my accommodation too, so no turning back. I will have Mr Plodder + two little plodders in tow (ouch, it's turning into a very expensive trip, so I definitely can't back out). However, I love having the kids at races with me, it's fantastic to see them cheering and waving at the finish line.

I'm trying to keep mileage over 30 miles per week a moment, but as always struggling to fit it all in. Did 28 last week, and I got off to a good start for this week with a 10 miler yesterday morning - just another 20 to go before end of saturday.. lol!! 

I've had the same London comments. People seem to think it's the only marathon . It's a bit like doing half's, nobody passed any comment on my running 2 other half marathons this year, but when I did the GNR, I got good luck cards and massive pats on the back from everybody I know. Weird isn't it???? It seems that because it's on the tele, it must be further..........?????? or harder.....?????? 

05/10/2009 at 11:32

bburn

ive had the same reaction from people about edinburgh "oh well theres always next year to try for the big one "  what planet are they on lol its the same distance, i do all the local halfs and no one has even heard of them or knew they existed

is anyone going to edinburgh alone, i am hubby and kids aint bothered , so ive booked my room for sat and sun  night and im going to have so fun  (well thats if i can move after ive done it lol)

just ordered my "In Training" t shirt so i can wear that with pride while plodding the streets

05/10/2009 at 14:31

Well I just got my London rejection.

They kindly put an Edinburgh flyer in with the letter, so thinking about doing this instead. I have done London in 2004 and paris in 2008 so Edinburgh 2010 sounds like a good plan.

Finding a cheap gaf may be harder.

Is it hilly, or is it just hilly at beginning. Blimy walking up to castle is hard enough - Running ... hmmm

05/10/2009 at 15:09

Hi everybody

I've just signed up for this, looking forward to it!  Gonna be a first marathon for me, but plenty of time to train yet eh?

Trying not to think about the nightmares people had last year...

05/10/2009 at 22:01

hi koprano

i managed to get b and b for £39 a night  so not too bad im traveling alone family dont wanna come but that dont bother me, by the profile it doesnt look to bad when it comes to hills.

hi ian

this will be my first marathon too and at the moment im not to worried about it but ask me in jan and i'll probably start to brick it lol

06/10/2009 at 09:11

I'm contemplating signing up for this one. The course profile is making it very tempting. If they could just switch the course round to make the last 5 miles downhill that would make it even more tempting! 

I'm running the Dublin mara in a couple of weeks time so i'll see how my old bones feel afterwards then make my mind up.

Good luck one and all.

AB

81 to 100 of 8,202 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.