Edinburgh Marathon

141 to 160 of 8,201 messages
12/10/2009 at 13:30

i like the shorter bit lol

that was my 11th half yesterday in just over a year

hadn't done much running this week been a crazy one so just wanted to get round but was amazed when i saw the time. in some races you think you're running fast and get a crap time then others you "plod" round and get PB's lol , how does that work

anyway EDINBURGH here we all come

222 days to go

bburn plO.dder    pirate
14/10/2009 at 11:08

Hi R Dave, welcome to the thread!

Well Done on the PB Angela, good going .

Running Kate, in answer to your question, yes that is Witton Park track I am stood on.

Well spotted, I'm impressed!!  It was at the Blackburn 10K Winter Warmer earlier this year. Have you run that? It's a beast of a course. You start and finish on the track. The course goes up Buncer Lane, up to Pleasington village before cutting back to Witton Park through the football fields near the cemetry, and heading back to the track. Very hilly first half.

I'm not sure what training plan I'm going to follow. At the moment I'm having a go at base training, doing about 30 - 32 miles per week with a heart rate monitor (<70-75%).

I have bought Marathon Training by Hal Higdon, and I was thinking about having a go at one of his schedules. I like his book. He basically advocates the LSR, plus one fast-ish short run (at predicted mara pace), with 2 other shorter slow runs (5-6 milers).  

Anybody else come across his plans before?

14/10/2009 at 13:21

Hi I have just signed up to the Edinburgh marathon yesterday but did not bother with the bus service?

For anyone who has done this before is it easy enough and better value to use public transport rather than the organised bus?

I was a bit annoyed after paying a admin fee for signing up no matter what payment method i had used. Why cant they just inlclude this in the price! And also i just assumed travel back to the start would be free but no i was mistaken!

15/10/2009 at 10:02

Sounds like a good plan Bburn.

I got tickets for the bus but dont know if I'll use it or try to talk in-laws into taking their car to the finish... I did the Hairy Haggis Relay this year and the bus back was awful... I swear he was going totally the wrong way at one point.

15/10/2009 at 13:30

The queues for the return bus last year were horrific and there were less than 10000 runners. God knows what this year will be like with 25000. I'll probably leave the car down in Musselburgh on the Saturday night and get the train back to Edinburgh.

I reckon the train will be a better bet and much more reliable.

Anyway, today is my first training day. Well I've been injured (ITB) since before Berlin and have only run once (Berlin Marathon) in the last 6 weeks. The knee now feels good and the physio is happy so it's a gentle 7 mile uphill from my mums house and then for some off road action on Saturday. Literally can't wait for it.

15/10/2009 at 13:42

good luck with the training R Dave hope the knee holds out

ive got no choice with the bus im going up alone and travelling on the train, so queue for the bus "here i come"

bburn plO.dder    pirate
15/10/2009 at 13:57

Although I will have family with me, we are travelling up to Edinburgh on the train, so I will be relying on public transport on the day.

R Dave - are there trains from Musselburgh back to Edinburgh after the event?

Also do you have to pre-book the bus back, or can you just queue up?

15/10/2009 at 15:14

I think you have to pre-book them, I ordered mine when I was booking my place...  If you log back into your account on the Edinburgh website you should be able to order your bus ticket without too much problem.

15/10/2009 at 15:14
I think the bus is pre-book but there are trains back to Edinburgh after the race. You would think that they would put some extra trains on but oh no. Not at this event!
15/10/2009 at 16:04
I'm confused.... Your name suggests you're a bloke R Dave but your avitar says otherwise... You really need to get a better sports bra btw.
15/10/2009 at 16:26

LOL - It's not really me (honest)

I just like the hypnotic effect it has on me.

15/10/2009 at 16:48
They're gonna be down by her knees before she knows it... LOL
17/10/2009 at 14:24

Afternoon peeps

Thought i would say hello as i have just entered this and will hopefully be my third marathon. I say hopefully as i am also doing Paris some 6 weeks before this event. Ah well, i better make the most of it.
First things first, wheres the after party

R-Dave...if you look anything like that, i think a PB is on the cards for me as i wont let you out of my sight. Be great to meet up again with you and the missus after Berlin.

B/burn plodder.....I will see you in wesham in november. I also did it last year and know what you mean about it being a bit chilly. I believe there is no clubhouse this year to hide in and keep warm.

17/10/2009 at 15:33

Hi all, been reading through the posts and thought I'd jump in. I've recently finished my first marathon - Loch Ness - which I was dreading because of the hills, but managed it in 4 hours 33 mins. It was tough but actually I really enjoyed it.  Can't wait to do another one and considering Edinburgh as it's close to home. Hope the organisation is better than last year. Worried about the numbers too. Did the Chris Hoy half in Edinburgh this year and the congestion at Musselburgh at the end was a nightmare. BBurn - my running partner and I used the Hal Higdon Novice schedule to train for Loch Ness. It builds you up really nicely to the 20 mile long run. It's an 18 week schedule. I would recommend it. Still to get back into base training after LN. Happy running everyone!

17/10/2009 at 16:27

Thought I would pop in as I have just booked Edinburgh as my first marathon, being a VLM reject.  ONly been running 18 months but decided I want to run a marathon before I am 50 (and with the clock ticking that leaves me next year to complete).

Had a look at Hal Higdon book in the library and his schedules seem to make sense so might splash out and buy one or follow a RW 16 week one.

Just off to try and book hotel - hopefully there will be something left

17/10/2009 at 16:34

Hi running tortoise. Hal Higdon has a great website and you can print off his schedules.Might save you a bit on money. Lots of tips on training. Good luck booking a hotel.

17/10/2009 at 17:23

Thanks for this I have just logged on and it seems really useful.

Managed to book a Premier Inn.  So now all I need to do is train 

18/10/2009 at 09:18
Running tortoise, which Premier Inn have you booked in to?? I'm going to be entering this very shortly but am a bit worried I'll be struggling to find accomodation (at a reasonable price!!)
18/10/2009 at 13:35
I havew booked the premier inn lauriston place which is on Lady Lawson street.  I tried to book the travel lodge central because it was cheaper but couldn't get a family room and I am hoping to bring the family down to make a weekend of it.
18/10/2009 at 14:16

Hill1 - The premier inn at Leith is reasonable value and still has availability.

It's probably 3-4 miles from the start but there's no shortage of residents for sharing a taxi on race morning.

141 to 160 of 8,201 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.