Edinburgh marathoners past and present

welcome to wor new hoose!!!!!!

8,001 to 8,020 of 8,349 messages
07/11/2011 at 22:13

Yeah a PB of 3 mins over a half. Where it came from I have no idea but I just went hell for leather and kept going. It may never happen again of course cos now I'm bust lol

Time for bed for me, these late nites are too much. Sleep well peeps

07/11/2011 at 22:15
Nitey nite Bedshaped.
08/11/2011 at 11:42

Morning all!

I feel like someone has inserted a brick in to my lungs at the moment *sniff* cough* splutter* so no miles for the next coupleof days.

Bedhshaped - was wondering what happened to you, and as per usual ended up running with some of your club members (elder gent, tall with glasses...). Nice guy and gave me hope of an improving ultra performance now I am offically classed as a Vet (not like DCB before anyone posts....)

08/11/2011 at 19:34
Hi again all. Glad you enjoyed Aus  Caniggia( and that is coming form a kiwi !!!!!!!!!!!!!) . i have been to Sydney and had a pretty neat time there. Was it Taroonga Park zoo you went to ? What was your time in the race. If I get back home in the not too distance future I would love to run the Wellington Marathon. It is a wonderful city. I prefer it to Auckland.
08/11/2011 at 19:55

Hiya Kiwi,

Aye it was Taroonga zoo I went to which was fab.  It was one of those zoos that was primarily filled with local animals which is always a good thing.  There is nothing worse than going to a zoo to find it has the same animals as every other zoo in the world.  If I go to a zoo in Australia I want to see kangaroos and koalas.  If I go to one in America I want to see grizzly bears and buffalos not kangaroos and koalas!!!

Seaworld on the gold coast was gash in comparison to the one in florida don't go.  The jetski show was off, 2 of the 4 roller coasters were being serviced, the penguins were "mating" and not in their enclosure and the polar bear didn't have his cooling mist switched on say he lay flat on his pus for the best part of 5 hours because it was too hot for him to do anything.  I even went to Sesame St only to find that the characters would only get their pictures taken with you if you crossed their palm with a 20$ bill and got your taken with the official photographer.  As much as I like him I wasn't going to let Count Von Count count my 20 ha ha ha dollars.  Think that sort of summed up Aus for me that you were always having to put your hand in your pocket and it was 10 and 20 dollar bills rather than loose change that was coming out.  Great place but you need lots of cash to fully enjoy it.

08/11/2011 at 19:56
Did I manage to dodge the marathon time question do you reckon?
08/11/2011 at 19:56
3:54
08/11/2011 at 19:57
It was very hot though.
08/11/2011 at 19:59

Moving swiftly on happy birthday Amberskyes.

http://www.arenaflowers.com/product_image/large/301-fortieth_birthday_balloon.jpg

I won't tell anybody how old you are.

08/11/2011 at 20:00

Biscuit barrel is still a bit empty but there is some cake in the cake tin.

http://www.cakes-you-can-bake.com/images/40th-birthday-cake-with-candles.jpg

08/11/2011 at 20:16

OK need a bit of nerdy technical advice seeing as there are people about at the moment.  A wee degree in physiology or sport science may be an advantage.....

I was looking at a few old photos when I was trying to work out what time I ran in Templeton woods the last time I ran it (about 5 years ago) and noticed that I carried my arms a lot higher when I ran a few years back than they are now.  If you put a number in line with your waistband on your shorts I'd say meh erms now swing from waistband height to the middle of the number and further out in front of me rather than from the top of the number to kind of nipple height and tighter to my chest.

Now the theory...........If your legs follow your arms as people sometimes say would a lower hand position like a long pendulum give a longer arm movement and lead to longer stride (possibly an overstride) and slower turn over of your feet than a shorter arm movement that would make your feet move quicker and have more strides/minute even if they are a wee bit shorter.

In summary could I have been busting my bollocks for the last 3 years trying to recover fitness after the chicken pox to no avail whatsoever when I could have just moved my hands 6 inches higher??????  

Edited: 08/11/2011 at 20:21
08/11/2011 at 20:56

Good tactic, let's all run with our arms in the air   I have no idea Caniggia, I'm constantly thinking about how I should/do run and I think that you should run with what's most comfortable. You may gather I have no sports science knowledge  whatsoever.

I know exactly who you mean Markk at Glen Ogle. Very very nice chap and mighty fine runner too. We have them going up to their 70's in the club and they all run faster than me. I'm just hanging around until I'm old enough to run fast too!

Still no fixed my ankle. Blasted thing is driving me insane. Managed 40mins on the turbo trainer today. Trust me it's not the easy option but something at least!

Now waiting on my chippy

08/11/2011 at 22:32

Does anybody think running 100 days on the trot wasn't an everly braw idea?????

I know I should just run how feels comfy Bedshaped but when I'm blowing out my arse by half way the point of running the 1st half comfy is a bit on the wasted side if the 2nd half is one of the least comfy things I've ever done.  I'm just wondering if I have got into a bit of a sloppy bad habbit possibly caused by overusing the dreadmill or just trying to run extra easy and save energy after I was ill and if its this sloppyness that has just choked my running to death ever since.

www.clutchingatstraws.co.uk

09/11/2011 at 17:15
Aye get off the dreadmill it's bad for general running form anyway! And as for 100 days running? Well it's working a treat for OH but sadly wasn't for me. Maybe after 5 months of injury embarking on such a task was a little ambitious however!
09/11/2011 at 20:51
Evening everyone. Did I hear someone mention a pb? I remember those cheeky little chappies. I think the last time I encountered one of those was a year and a half ago. I've got a 10K this weekend but I'll be nowhere near my pb. The aim is to get somewhere around 45 minutes and then look to back in shape for the spring 10Ks. It's all easier said than done though.
09/11/2011 at 22:25
10K 44:40, happy days, can I join in your PB celebrations Bedshaped

Get Off Dreadmill Caniggia33, they're evil
09/11/2011 at 23:33

Evening everybody,

I know I should say goodbye to the dreadmill but it is so hard to when I was stupid enough to leave my lovely flat in newcastle to move to Carnoustie which is one of the world's windiest hell holes.  Even when you run outside its like running on the dreadmill as you just don't move running into the wind here.  As it sits right on the corner where the Tay meets the north sea the wind also swirls all round the town and has an uncanny ability to always seem to be in your face no matter where you run.   At least I temporarily have something other than chicken pox to blame for my sh!t running so I will endevour to prove my theory right and then discard it as being bollox a week on sunday after my next race!!!!!!!.

Well done on your PB Smiffie your not just a pretty face are you  

What would we all do without cancer research UK course measurements.

(Runs away with arms in a slightly elevated position in the hope she can't catch me with my new found turn of pace to give me a slap lol) 

Edited: 09/11/2011 at 23:35
10/11/2011 at 08:30
Morning all!

I've often thought about meeting the devil at midnight dressed in his Asics as he stands at the cross roads offering me a dreadmill, promising me my running will get better. However common sense has triumphed, that and I have better things to spend my limited cash on.

Nae idea about the arms thing Can, but when I look at my photos they all show a very short stride, or worse, make me look like I'm out for a week walk. Everyone else's race photos actually look like they are running lol.

Feel significantly better today and may be tempted to go out for a wee run later in the day....
10/11/2011 at 21:27

Theory may need a bit of refinement.  Just bust my bollox on a run round carnoustie.  5.81 miles in 38 and a abitty minutes.  Just about the same fecking time it always takes me!!!!!!! Rome didn't go bust in a day I suppose. 

Here is an early contender for goal of the season.  Dragan Stojkovic is wasted in football management.  Along with some other bizarre footballers like Rats and Litzbarski I thought he was the absolute badgers nadgers when I was 12 and my bizarre love of this very obscure footballer has just been rekindled.   Shame on the referee for sending him off for kicking the ball away.

10/11/2011 at 22:08

Cheeky Begger Caniggia33, twas not a Race4Life course this time

Now carry on mincing round your run with elevated arms RoHoHa

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.