Edinburgh marathoners past and present

welcome to wor new hoose!!!!!!

8,101 to 8,120 of 8,349 messages
21/12/2011 at 17:22
What a fright
21/12/2011 at 21:55

God I feel like a bag of sh!te tonight.  The combination of too much driving  to perth and back for the last few weeks plus christmas has taken its toll I think.  Its not far but puts 2 hours more onto my working day that I could really do without.  Had a shocker of a migraine last night and have felt awful all day.  The only thing that chuffed me up was my tax bill wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be and my hols and I can pay for my hols and pay off a big chunk of my mortgage in January and still have a wee bit to spare for a rainy day.  Accountants are wonderful people and for once I'm not just talking about you know who

How's your knee and back doing smiffie????

I was watching news 24 and they were discussing the low possibility of snow before Sunday.  Its not often you hear a weather girl say she is dreaming of a wet Christmas.  I'll let you make your own jokes.

Edited: 21/12/2011 at 22:34
22/12/2011 at 22:38
Oh dear! 
27/12/2011 at 23:48

Well if that was Christmas I've had it.  Its amazing it was shorter than a normal weekend.  I finished work at lunchtime on saturday and was back at work at 9am on Monday morning.   Completely pointless couple of days at work where I have done the sum total of 10 prescriptions in 12 hours.  Seeing as I was managing one every 23 seconds on Friday afternoon I think the whole hideous waste of time becomes all the more apparent!!!!

Well santa was very good to me.  He managed to get to the Caird hall and purchase me two tickets one for Dara O'brian and one for Kevin bridges.  Santa is a really top bloke as either him or one of his elves must have got up really early as the kevin bridges ones sold out in about 2 hours.  Thats commitment to the job to come yourself or send an elf all the way from Lapland to the Caird Hall box office and get here within 2 hours of the extra kevin bridges gig being announced in the courier the same morning.  Thank you santa.

Hope you all had as much fun with your Christmas stalking as I did

27/12/2011 at 23:55
I think my next door neighbours may have moved out without saying cheerio.  I know its quite common for folk to take off for a couple of days over the festive period but I've never known anybody who felt the need to take greenhouse and garden bench with them as they spread their festive cheer.
29/12/2011 at 20:18

Thats the 2nd night on the trot I've got out for a run and hell it is windy out there.  I tell you hurricane C*ntflaps is worse than hurricane Bawbag that struck Scotland last month.  At least hurricane Bawbag blew itself out in 24 hours.  Its been rickydoodlously windy here for about 5 days now.  How windy does it have to get before that tree in my garden I want rid off falls down of its "own accord"

How exciting its only 2 more working days until the new year holiday when I will get another one day off and be back at work on Monday to be ready to dispense prescriptions that wont have been written yet because the doctors are off for 4 days!!!!!!

If anybody is looking for a bit of TV viewing to warm their cockles on a cold winter night pop on sky sports 2 at 9 o'clock and watch the documentary about Michael Watson. It covers from his days as a great boxer when in my early teens watson, benn and eubank used to fight every other week on ITV in some brilliant fights, his injury at the eubank fight that nearly ended his life and his unbelievable recovery.  I'm not a big fan on dickheads like the prick that dressed up as Brian the Snail taking 6 days to do the London marathon in fancy dress but guys like Watson are exempt from this criticism.  There is a reason it took him 6 days and if he did it again I'd bet it would take him a hell of a lot less because the challenge would be to do it quicker. Thats the kind of bloke he is.  Its not a soppy or boaktastic programme but it is a fab watch.  Watson was a good boxer but he is a really really great man.

30/12/2011 at 23:37
Well folks Hogmany is almost upon us.  Does anybody mind if I pop over to Samoa where the 31st of December isn't happening this year as I really can't be arsed with it. Barrrrrr humbug.
31/12/2011 at 16:06
Afternoon all. Well, 2011 is nearly gone and for the most part it's been crap (for me at least). Thankfully the running has gone reasonably well with 1031 miles for the year total and 200 miles for December. I suspect working four days a week in London as of the month makes the dreadmill more attractive than in the past....

Still one marathon, two halfs, a 10k and four ultras this year has been enjoyable in its own little way....

On a positive way to end the year, a man I know has managed to secure me 3 pairs of the previous model of Mizuno Nirvana (6) which has really made my day as the current model (7) is a disaster. So have a word with Gavin at Glasgow Sweatshop if you are hunting for a old model of shoe.

All the best for 2012 folks. Happy Hogmany!
31/12/2011 at 20:34

Hi all. I must admit Markk before my Brooks ( glycerin and summon ) I had 2 pairs of mizunos and I loved them. It all depends really.

Caniggia, defeat for Ipswich, however Man Utd. going down at home to Blackburn more than made up for it. What a cracking result. Come on Man City !!

31/12/2011 at 21:28

What a strange end to a stange year it has been tonight.

I did have a wee giggle when I say that result Kiwi.  How many men in blackburn that were convinced christmas would see the back of steve kean are frothing at the mouth whilst posting on internet forums tonight that he has saved himself again this season.

Using Markk's running analysis lots of races and the only "PB" was on a course that was blatantly short my worst half marathon in 6 years and the worst 2 marathons ever.   Not a vintage year in fact the worst one ever.  I wonder what dregs in the running barrel 2012 will have to dredge.

01/01/2012 at 15:48

It's all on the day CANiGGIA. Who knows. I raced today and supported a great local race which is in it's infancy. Held for the first time last year. I have now raced 3 times on New Years Day in the last 3 years. Have been out on the p£ss before , but now nearing 50 means I can leave that up to the youngsters and take them on on the road instead. Gone are the days of waking up the next  day in a different bed after peeing in the cupboard and then going to work . Been there done it.

I am sure you will get some decent results. It may be a case of targeting something you can really go for and really concentrating on how you will do it and what you can do to make it work . I aim for one or two marathons a year and found that racing less in between is beneficial. Next year will be London and Amsterdam. The races in between are just tune up races ( even though competitive) and my peak race gets the attention it needs.

Probably telling you how to suck eggs but it may help !!

01/01/2012 at 19:41
Cheers kiwi. I blame Obama for my poor form. The last time I ran well was the new york marathon a couple of days before he won the election. Fortunately its election year in america again this year. Let's hope the american public consider my running misfortunes when they go to the polls again in november!!!!!

I never know whether to race more or less. Sometimes you feel when you race more you are racing lots you get into a race mode but you risk burn out. Having said that you sometimes feel more pressure on race day and have less confidence of you haven't had a race even though you should be in tip top condition. Its hard to convince yourself you are going to run well when there is no form or indication you can run anything like as quick as you wanted to.

Maybe 2012 will be a lucky year. Let's hope todays game at the stadium of light is an indication of what might still be to come. I'll will have to be careful if someone asks what the highlight of the festive period has been and I have to reply 'big Dong-Won' lol ;-p
02/01/2012 at 08:02

Happy new year everyone!

I think its now time for me to stop doing things that are enjoyable - drinking for example - and get back on the wagon.  I'm sure my body is attempting to reject alcohol but it'll finally get the break it wants.  The plan is to now get in shape for the Rome marathon in mid March which is approaching way faster than I'd like. First thing to get out the way is a winter duathlon in Glencoe in just under two weeks time. That'll no doubt be wet, windy and generally hard work but I need something to kick start the year.

What was everyone up to over the festive period?

02/01/2012 at 10:15
Step away from the refresh button greg
02/01/2012 at 12:39
I gave up on the refresh button after refresh number 34 with still no result!
02/01/2012 at 12:58
Aye but until you have come off this page and back on again every time you hit refreshh I get an e-mail telling me you have posted!!!!
02/01/2012 at 16:45
Hi Greg !
03/01/2012 at 21:04

Hi Kiwi !

Apologies Caniggia for building up your expectations of a new witty post only to have your hopes dashed when you realised it was yet another rogue RW notification.  

Well today was my first run of the new year. What a day to pick to go running. There was finally a break in the weather this evening so I got 4 miles in but I'm on week 6 of 16 of marathon training and I have done zero long runs so far. At least now the partying is over so I can hopefully build up a bit of momentum and get back on track over the next month. Winter training really is a chore sometimes.

Back to work tomorrow so it just gets better and better.

03/01/2012 at 21:37

well if that was christmas and new year I've had it.  have to say it wasn't all that enjoyable experience this year.  Where most folk have been merry  and had a chance to recharge their batteries my batteries ran out a few weeks ago and have been made no better by working all christmas.  10 migraines in 14 days I think says I am absolutely knackered.   I'm actually really looking forward to this weekend when I have 2 whole days off back to back for the 1st time since the start of December.

I don't really think this is the ideal physical shape to be in before embarking on a 16 week marathon training programme for Manchester.

05/01/2012 at 12:45

Afternoon all

I have done now running since 31st Dec 2011 and am aiming to give my tired body a rest by continuing to ply it with alcohol and chocolate which although enjoyable probably isn't doing me any good. Suspect a wee 13 miler may be in order at the weekend to get things back on track.

*opens another bag of crisps*

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.