Edinburgh marathoners past and present

welcome to wor new hoose!!!!!!

8,161 to 8,180 of 8,349 messages
19/02/2012 at 21:32

I think that might have been the 1st post I have ever had that was entirely about running.

20/02/2012 at 20:05
I was in the Clydesdale bank earlier today at city square in Dundee and couldn't believe my eyes.  They had 3 sliding doors into the offices with words frosted into the glass of the offices that were half open and half behind the wall.  Now call me old fashioned but when I go to the bank I expect the office doors to have things like manager, finanial advisor and mortgage advisor on the doors.  To my surprise one door had the word gay showing, the 2nd one camp and the 3rd one had the letters -ter to finish the word which having seen the other two doors I have a horrible feeling may have been preceeded by a word rhyming with hoof.  Can anybody else with a greater knowledge of the financial industry please tell me what these doors would actually have said as my small mind was running riot.
22/02/2012 at 22:45

Vavavooooooooooooooooooooooooooom.

Hell I'm running well. 4 and a bitty miles at 6:22/mile and that included stopping to let a couple of cars through the train tunnel. Could I please please please run a Manchester marathon sooner that the 29th April I think the bubble will be well and truly burst by then.

I've just bought tickets for Rod Gilbert in August. Dunde is piss poor rotten for pop concerts but there are lots of really good comedians coming these days.  Thats Dara O'brian, Keving Bridges and Rod Gilbert to look forward to this year.

24/02/2012 at 21:21

I don't know if any of you ever feel the need to try an odd speedwork/sprint session just to do something a bit different.  Well on the occasions that I do in the absence of a running track that is ever open in Dundee or Carnoustie I've found a couple of places where you normally find a bit of solitude other than a couple of doag walkers that pass by every now and then.  Well that solitude thing didn't really happen tonight and I ended up getting chased up and and down the path by 3 kids on scooters and bmx bikes.  The one or two dog walkers were replaced by umpteen dog walkers and also half of carnoustie heading out for their friday night at the pub.  I think I must have looked like a complete knob.

I really should take up heavy drinking again and just go to the pub on a Friday night.

26/02/2012 at 19:10
Dancing on ice is on T.V. and as I detest this sort of reality tv trype thought I would have a peep at what's happeneing here. But the office is closed. CANiGGIA, are you home, MARKK, Anyone !!!!!!!!!!!
26/02/2012 at 21:36

Sorry kiwi I popped out to the book with the faces in between doing a wee bit of ironing.

I can't believe you don't like dancing on ice.  I thought you would have been the kind of bloke that would have likes a bit of spangly lycra.   I have to say I hate figure scating in all forms and group it together with gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics (glorified keepy-uppy), diving and synchronised swimming in sports that shouldn't be in the olympics.  Now I'm not a fan of dancing at the best of times but these sports in particular are absolute bollocks.  Nobody knows what the hell they are doing or watching other than landing with your feet together is good stumbling, falling over or having a big splash is bad. Gymnastics out darts in for the Olympics.

(I'd better not include the dressage bit of 3 day eventing in that rant or I might be on the receiving end of the wrath of smiffie )

How are france and wales unbeaten in the 6 nations?  Kiwi you must be pretty confident about the next world cup already if this is the best that the northern hemisphere has to offer.  I can't believe we have 3 defeats in 3 games.  I think England have been pethetic against everybody they have played and other than a charge down and dodgy video ref decision we should have taken them, we pressed self destruct for 15 minutes against wales who were pretty ordinary although very good at not getting players sin binned for persistantly handling in the ruck, and france today didn't look like world cup finalists.  We didn't win but at least we have scored a couple of tries.  Bring on the Irish 

02/03/2012 at 21:36
Hi CANIGGIA. I felt a bit sorry for Scotland. They don't look to bad going forward, I like the look of Stenton. Although I have a funny feeling he is not scottish. If only they didn't butcher their chances against England !!!!!!!. I like Andy Robinson, he's a Taunton lad. I hope he is successful with Scotland, we'll see. As you can see I am not a reality TV fan, In fact I hate it, so Americanised in the way the crowd starts booing and whistling and going all ga ga and excited. It drives me around the twist. It is so staged, there is always one judge who criticises the contestants just to make good tv ( good Tv !!!!!!!!!, matter of opinion) I hate it, and the bloody x factor. Why are people so sucked in by such trype. Insult to the intelligence. I haven't even dstarted on bloody big brother yet. That is the lowest of the low !! I do enjoy a good rant.  I am becoming a wingeing pom !! 
14/03/2012 at 21:09
Evening all. Let's not talk about Scottish rugby shall we.... I actually went to the game in 1982 where we drew with the All Blacks 22-22. It was a tough game even though 14 of the opposition were on the lash in Rose St during the game

Taking running lightly as AH/PF still a problem and have Glasgow Edinburgh double at the end of the month
14/03/2012 at 22:10
I was only 4 in 1982

That double marathon lark sounds fun (not). Sounds just the sort of thing to do when you are not 100% fit

I come out of hibernation on sunday at the alloa half. I wonder what the weather will bring this year. I've ran it twice in the past and it snowed on both occasions. I've heard rumours that the statue of the bloke shagging a seagull has been removed from the circle at about a mile to go. That was always the highlight of the race!!!!
15/03/2012 at 16:07
All roads lead to Milngavie 0100 23rd June
15/03/2012 at 19:31
I've heard that. Its the tomtom and garmin equivalent of the milleneum bug that day.

Its rumoured all foot paths lead to new lanark at the end of july. Fortunately lots of roads head there too for people with cars who don't have any intention of running the clyde stride rohaha!!!!!
20/03/2012 at 20:41
Come to the dark side... Imagine ten minute miles..... Think how easy it would be to stalk at that pace....
20/03/2012 at 22:28

Markk I find  quite an enjoyable process and the polar opposite from previous experience of ten minute mileing which I only tend to experience post wall hitting during marathons.    I do see that ultra running is an option to enhance my running experience.  It is an option however that I have no intention of exploring.  Far too many races that look fun to run at marathon distance or a lot lot less still to run before I feel compelled to run any further.

Well the alloa half was an interesting experience.  I set off like a loony, ran silly fast for the 1st 2 miles, not much slower for the 3rd mile and was basically shot by half way.  Somehow though I managed to cobble my way round in 1:28:45 which was a minute and an arf faster than I mustered anywhere last year.  Pretty encouraging outing for my 1st forray of the year especially seeing as I ran in a fairly shambolic manner.  Legs seem to be working, they have some speed I didn't think they had anymore in the 1st couple of miles which would have been a brill 5k time for me and time was pretty good for me.  Only problem was the demons in my head and all the doubts from the last few years kicked in as the race went on.  Think that could be my biggest problem in manchester rather than my legs.

26/03/2012 at 20:14
And you get to walk anything that looks ike an incline.....
26/03/2012 at 21:19
If I go up a steep incline I will just change down from top gear to 4th or 3rd!!!

It was such a lovely night tonight (still 20C when I got home) I felt I really should go for a run. Bad idea. Leggies are absolutely shot after 21 messy miles to abroath and back yesterday. Due to a lack of time thanks to the changing of the clocks and the return of my parents I went out a bit too soon after my brekkie and my frosties hadn't really gone done well enough before I started. Had nasty cramps from about 8 miles on which made it not very much fun to get home. Felt pretty bleughhh afterwards

2:35 for 21 miles not running great wasn't too bad though
27/03/2012 at 23:23
I ran up a hill tonight markk. Are you impressed. 1st time it has been light enough to do that run at night all year and I managed to get to the top of the 4 mile uphill drag that they used to enjoy sending you army types marching up and down with heavy packs several times for "training" aka a giggle in the days of yore.

4 miles up and 4 miles down in an 51:29. . As much as I liked the time I'm just impressed I got up there in one piece. I normally need to stop and chunder about a mile from the top when it hits a really steep ramp. My wispa gold stayed down. Result
29/03/2012 at 15:46
More impressed Tit Tuesday arrived this week...
01/04/2012 at 17:46
Flat ultras.... Don't do them....
05/04/2012 at 21:22

How is the leg doing Markk.  What colour is the bruise now???

After a nasty death to my computer I am currently trying to restore files from the cloud to my computer.  It has to be the dullest job known to man.   Not really sure why the stuff I need doesn't want to open but the stuff from years ago which I have no idea why I still had saved on my hard drive is opening no problem at all.

Not long until London Mr Kiwi and Ms Smiff.

06/04/2012 at 19:10
Torn ankle lIgament was the final answer to why the #}{ has my shin gone a funny colour. Started as a pain at mile 28 and bloody agony by mile 50. Think I managed to exceed a double daly allowance of painkillers and IAs to finish. Was hoping four under 9 hours at the half way point, which became just want to finish by mile 40. Last 15 took a long, long time.

Other than that a lovely day out;-) Taking next ten days off to heal before Fling at end of April.

Anyone excited about London VM then?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.