Edinburgh marathoners past and present

welcome to wor new hoose!!!!!!

8,201 to 8,220 of 8,349 messages
05/05/2012 at 22:04

Are you impressed folk I've been re-decorating wor hoose whilst I have been on holiday.

Yeehaa the footie season is over for another year.  That my friends was absolutely pish yeat again this season.  I can now do fun things every other Saturday when I'm not working that will cost me less cash and be much more entertaining between now and the start of August. 

Posted my Good For Age request to the London marathon last night.  Never thought I'd be writing one of those letters any time in my lifetime. I kind of feel like I've cheeted a bit to get in seeing as they just gave me an extra 10 minutes to qualify compared to yesteryear.  They must have just felt sorry for me.   Do you think any non running folk will remember me saying I wasn't good enough to run sub 3h to qualify?

12/05/2012 at 20:43

OOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSS

I seem to have entered the Goofy challenge.

14/05/2012 at 18:50

This time in 8 months I'll be at Mickey and Minnie's house!!!!!

Hope my legs will be OK by then they are really not happy since that marathon.  Body really creaking at the moment.  Tried a 10k race yesterday and felt like a sack of spuds.  Think being rag dolled all around the reservoir didn't help much or the fact it was all on grass and muddy trails.  Picked the trail shoes for grip when I really needed a bit more bounce. Cobbled my way round in 42 mins and was 21st home out of 250ish bodies which I suppose wasn't too bad seeing I couldn't run in a straight line for most of it.  At one point the wind was sort of coming from the direction of diagonally behind my left shoulder and it blew me completely off the path and down the grass bank.  I really need to eat more to weigh me down as my skinny body was really struggling to go in the direction I was intending.

25/05/2012 at 21:04

Bracing myself for the dullest bank holiday weekend EVER!!!!! All the fun things I had planned have gone a bit tits up so it looks like all the sh!te things I have to do will be getting done instead.  My frenzy of excitement has officially not been whipped

31/05/2012 at 12:41

Hello folks, been quite a while since i was in here, hope you are all doing well.

I ran Edinburgh again on Sunday, why oh why is it always hot when i do that marathon. I was planning on Sub 3.30 but the heat got to me and i made it round in 3.57.Under the circumstances i'm  fairly happy with that, i know i dont cope well in the sun and due to family commitments training was not as good as it should have been.

Next on the agenda is the Stockhom Jubilee Marathon on 14th July, which again has the potential to be another hot and sunny race so think it may be Loch Ness the scene of all my best marathon times before i get a new PB.

Can i'm over in Stockhom from Thursday evening till the Sunday afternoon, flying KLM via Amsterdam both ways. I'll pop in here closer to the time and see if we can get some plans sorted.

I'm not even going to mention football while i'm here, it's turning in to a saga with no sign of it ending soon!

31/05/2012 at 23:41
Welcome home Trimm Dich nice to see you back

So good to here that there is another runner on this planet who can run in a cannigiaesque manner in the sunshine. I think I still hold the record for how to go into maximal meltdown in the sunshine though. You are still just an amature as you only missed your target time by about 30 minutes

Have to say that one of us trying stalk home in july seems like stupidity. Both of us trying it is just crass stupidity . Am I alone in thinking the 25.2 mile option will be more than enough rather than the fun extra mile at the finish if anyone fancies it!!!!

You seem to be going a bit of a trip to get there. I am going thursday to monday from edinburgh. I'm going out with SAS to proper stalk home and home with ryanair from that weird airport that is not remotely close to the home of stalking. Actually now I think of it schipol may be closer to stalk home than the airport I'm flying home from!!!! Did you struggle to find a cheap hotel. The one I stayed in last time was about twice the price for no apparent reason along with the ones you recommended. I've ended up booking some strange hotel boat bobbing about off gamla stan. I hope its well tethered

Keep popping in I'm in on my own most nights lol. If you hang about pusbook as its known in beanoland you can find me pretty easily by searching michael aird carnoustie. Once you find my proflie you can find most of the other like kiwi, jac, dcb, smiffie, amber, bedhaped and a good few more folk that used to hang about in here in the days of yore.

See ya aboot
02/06/2012 at 19:04

Oh dear TD we look like we have backed the wrong horse this year.  The real stalk home marathon has just been run in 4C of pissing rain.  We would have ran like a dream today.  I've asked Soph if she meets Thor or any of the norse gods that works in the weather department to request the same again for the 14th July!!!!

03/06/2012 at 21:51

Evening all. Thought I would put in an appearance for the first time in ages. Just back  into hitting the road again for the first time this week since London.

03/06/2012 at 23:39

Welcome back Mr Kiwi,

That must have been some cramp you had if it has kept you off the road for six weeks.  You should have got someone to push your toes back and had a good stretch!!!!!

How was the rugby at the milleneum dome.  Did the ball keep hitting the roof or was it OK seeing it was the barbarians and they keep the ball in hand a bit more.

04/06/2012 at 09:39

Hi Caniggia. It was Twickenham we went to v England. It was great fun.Of course I was supporting the BAA BAA,s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Typical Barbarians, a scratch side that are not used to playing together. Get well beaten, but still score points. From a Kiwi point of view the ex AllBlacks did most of the damage. Two tries for Mils Muliaina and World Cup winning hero Stephen Donald kicked points too. A good day out. I am just lucky I have a daughter who likes Cricket and Rugby.

She thinks footballers are a bunch of prima donnas and overpaid poofs. She thinks its funny whenever Ipswich get stuffed !!!!!

26/06/2012 at 08:24
Morning all! After the weekends trot up the West Highland Way I can now manage stairs again. It may be a while until my body forgives me for making it do 95 miles in the worst conditions in 29 hours but I can live with that lol.

The rain cost me 90 mins on Conic Hill and my support "runner" didn't do any running opting to walk the last 20 miles with me instead of kicking my arse in to a light run! Lessons learnt for next year.....did I just say that?
19/07/2012 at 14:41

It's looking a bit deserted in here these days. After what must be a year in running wilderness I've refound my enthusiasm and thought why not spend the afternoon on here rather than working. Is there anybody out there...

19/07/2012 at 15:02
I'm here greg

Just recharging my batteries after the stalk home jubilee marathon last saturday. Haven't been in here much myself as the pointlessness of posting things that only I was ever going to read all seemed to get a bit pointless!!!! In the end I bit the bullet and was dragged kicking and screaming to the book with the faces in it where all the others have gone. Feel free to join us all in there as it is a bit of a lonely place to hang about in here these days

But anyhoooooo how have you been, what have you been up to, what's lit your metaphorical running fire again and what are you running?????

That answer should frivollously waste a few mins of your afternoon ;-p
19/07/2012 at 21:12
Clyde Stride ultra this weekend......
19/07/2012 at 21:37

Thats just a wee jog round the block for you these days.  Is this a warm up for the devil of the highlands or something equally gruesome???

22/07/2012 at 21:37

Oooo, I've just discovered this thread now that I'm getting back int running again after a few years diverted into cycling. Lots of names I recognise from when I did the Edinburgh marathon in 2007. Lots and lots of changes for me since then, not least my change of name on here to CallieH from RunningRanger!!

22/07/2012 at 23:55

Hello stranger its fab to see you again.  So glad you said you were runningranger as I was reading the 1st part of that  message and thinking who the hell was CallieH.

Everybody is welcome here although it is a shame you weren't here 2 years ago before Facebook took over the world when it wasn't just the caniggia monologues. Feel free to join them all over there if you are more into the facebook place. My name is Michael Aird and if you want to find a few of the others off my friends list feel free to have a look up of them.

Just as a wee update to save you having to read back all 8216 posts on this thread here's a weeeeeee update on what folk have been up to................

I'm still running marathons with varying levels of success (although failure is the norm), Kiwi runs marathons with a lot more success, DCB still spends half his life with his hand up a coos arse, Bungle pops in from time to time but she has to limit her typing for fear on injury, Bedshaped, Soph and Karen D (and markk who posted above who I don't think was with us quite so long ago) moved to the dark side and started running ultras for some peculiar reason I don't really understand and smiffie slipped over that same dark cliff yesterday eeeeeek , Jacasaurus is back into her running again big styley and is smashing PBs at the mo every time she pulls the trainers on and Amberskyes seems to be following your peculiar example and doing a lot of cycling. Last but not least Bumper who was really really ill seems to be OK at the minute and managed to do the london marathon earlier this year which was just fab and fingers crossed he stays fit and healthy for a long long time to come.

Not really sure what Greg is up to he never said when he popped in fleetingly the other day for the 1st time in ages then ran away again.  

Nice of you to pop round as I said.  Put your feet up, help yourself to stuff from the fridge and generally make yourself at home.

23/07/2012 at 09:08

Well after a bit of a semi-retirement from running I have got back into it over the last wee while. There's been a fair amount happening over the last year or two...married then separated and the whole performance that goes along with that. I have managed to keep running a marathon a year by doing Rome back in March. That was an amazing route although my training had been pretty rubbish and I just went along for the experience rather than seriously trying to run. That resulted in a PW time of 4:45 but the main thing was I ran it, albeit quite slowly.  This 'summer' I've signed up for the Great Scottish Run and I'm looking forward to it after missing it last year. I'm also spending a bit more time at the swimming pool and the MTB will be getting an outing if the weather ever stays dry enough. 

I'm still resisting joining the book of faces even though I feel am one of the few not brainwashed by its powers.

23/07/2012 at 10:10

Oh thanks for bringing back painful memories of Rome greg......the BQ that got away.  Got there in really really good shape, flatish course, 14C, overcast everything perfect until god sent me a migraine 12 hours before the start of the race and I faded really badly to 3:37 about half an hour slower than I was planning.  I then tried to commit suicide in the trevi fountain before being dragged back out by a group of Japanese tourists before going to the vatican and hammering on the pope's front door for hours as I was wanting to demand an explanation from the Pope as to what I could possibly have done to deserve a migraine 12 hours before the start of the race following on from him sending me a bout of chicken pox a fortnight before Boston the year before.  Went out a fortnight later and ran a 50s PB in the edinburgh half a fortnight later in a time where I thought hell I was in that good shape.  The good marathon that got away.

Still trying to make my mind up whether to run glasgow or not.  I think I will probably give it a weeeee whirl as there are not a lot of races left to run from September on and it will be about 5 weeks before the Munich marathon which is my next adventure.   If ever there was a race that involved an unnecessary 26 miles so I could do 0.2 miles in the Olympic stadium to finish this was the race.   Then Goofy challenge in January!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg I am not a fan of facebook I always much preferred in here where friends were friends and you could say what the hell you like and nobody else knew anything about it.  You can't say on facebook that you have had a sh!t day at work and that all the people you work with are two face bastards because byb definition a two face bastard would have pretended at some time they were your friend and would have added you on facebook!!!!!!!!!  On the plus side it does give me one more media in which to stalk smiffie.

Markk how are you doing after your adventures on Saturday???   Have you stopped hoying up out of car windees yet???

23/07/2012 at 12:18

I came down with the cold a day or so before Rome so the first 10 miles or so were not great and I just wasn't feeling right. Once I was past the mid way stage it was just the usual marathon related pain and suffering so it was fine. I do remember those narrow cobbled streets around the Trevi fountain being a bit of a bugger though.

At this stage I just want to get a few races under my belt and get back into the whole running mindset. I'm hoping to do London next spring pending a place and then the bid adventure will hopefully be the Big 5 marathon in South Africa. If that doesn't get me excited about running then nothing will.

8,201 to 8,220 of 8,349 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.