Edinburgh marathoners past and present

welcome to wor new hoose!!!!!!

8,261 to 8,280 of 8,349 messages
03/11/2012 at 22:38

Good effort Caniggia considering you were probably a little unwell. If you have any sort of bug, marathons will find you out. Didn't realise that about Tokyo. As you say, it will have to be done, but having done only two, I have now got 4 more to have to do. You should be able to run the Goofy Challenge off the back of Munich !!!

Yep, very keen on the Mad King Ludwig race. Already mentioned it to Julia. She is keen to see that part of the world. Nice to have a wifey who is up for the trip and no arguements !!! Don't know yet whether to do Berlin again or Amsterdam next year. Will mull it over.

03/11/2012 at 23:01

I was thinking maybe Frankfurt.  I do love Berlin but I also love ticking off races that I have not done before.  I've been to Frankfurt when I had a weeks hols and managed to get return flights for free with ryanair after they opened a new route but never ran there. I was thinking about maybe throwing caution to the wind and blowing my pennies on the 5th major in Chicago but the 6th one makes this less of a priority than it was.  May have a cheaper trip in October and marathon number 3 of the annual 3/year quota and go for one of the biggies or Marine Corps the year after.  Really fancy marine corps.

08/11/2012 at 05:17

I am also looking at 3 next year. The King Ludwig marathon is looking more and more likely. Just waiting to see if the daughter wants to come also as she will be home from uni.  marine corps would be interesting.

17/11/2012 at 17:50

Hi

Hope its ok to join. I last posted on the Edinburgh Marathon 2008 thread. Didn't take part as I couldn't get beyond 15 miles on my long runs. Its something I've always regretted so I signed up for this years race. Very pleased with myself today as I managed 22 miles with not too many problems. 

18/11/2012 at 14:47

Hi Grey Giant,

Of course its fine to pop in and join us.  I could do with the company if I'm perfectly honest as most of the old crew ran away to pusbook a wee while back.   It has been a while since we saw you though so it is fab you come along to play.

22 miles in preparation for a race that is still about 7 months away.  I'd safely say that you are  ahead of the game and should just about make edinburgh this time round.   I take it you have been running lots since 2008 if you were just popping out for a wee 22 miler on a cold winter day.  Where have you been, wot have you been up to, what fab races and places have we missed............??????

Its fair to say goofy challenge training has not gone to plan so far.  never had shin splints before but I suspect I do now.  Maybe just a bit too soon to start training for another marathon so soon after munich.  I've ran a massive 5 miles this week.  Pain not as bad as week goes on.  More dull achey than proper sore now and sometimes don't really feel it at all.  Hopefully get out for a test drive in a couple of days time to see if it has settled down.  Not panicing yet still 7 or 8 weeks to get some proper training in.

On the upside folks did you see Dundee one again.  Only one point adrift at the bottom of the SPHELL after a 3-1 victory yesterday.  Who would have thought that would be the case three weeks ago. 

18/11/2012 at 16:51

Have been doing triathlons the last few years all at the sprint distance. My attempts at the marathon put me off running a bit and I have been doing little more than about 5 miles at a time in training. As I said I've always regretted not attempting the marathon and watching the Olympics this year inspired me to have another go.

I've really enjoyed my long runs since then and I got past my 15 mile barrier with no real problems and decided to enter next years race. Have kept building up the mileage and have experienced problems with cramps in my calves. I guess I'll need to pay a bit more attention to diet/stretching.

Not sure what to do next with regards to the mileage on my long run. Maybe scale it back until nearer the event or maintain things at about 18-20 miles.

18/11/2012 at 19:28
You were watching the wrong things at the olympics. I watched a lot of beach volleyball and now aspire to finding myself a very cute german or austrian lass marathon running never really crossed my mind.

I did try triathlon once but had a problem in the transition area as there wasn't enough room in the wee box provided for me to fit my arm bands in. I'm not sure whether I lost more time trying to deflate them than I would of if I'd just taken the time penalty for not putting them away tidily in the box.
19/11/2012 at 21:11

lol..swimming not my strong point either

Has anyone done Edinburgh recently, have heard lots of negative reports about the organisation.

I live in ayrshire and was wondering if it was possible to drive through morning of race get dropped of near start and picked up at finish.

19/11/2012 at 21:30
Hi again grey giant,

I haven't ran it since my DNF in 2009 but I doubt it has changed much since then. I always used to employ my race crew for the day aka mum and dad and travel down from Beanoland on the day so it is certainly doable. They used to drop me near the theatres at the end of leith walk, get over the course passed meadowbank stadium before the roads closed, stop at my auntie dot's for bacon butties in duddingston and then make their way to musselburgh. Personally I'd miss out auntie dot's she has a tendancy to burn the butties and just make their way to musselburgh. In the good old days when the race was small you used to be able to park at the racecourse itself but the field is too slow now and filled with lots of really really slow plodders so its almost impossible to get there. 2 options are to park on the south side of musselburgh and walk or park at the park and ride and get the free shuttle bus to and from the finish. The 2nd might be the best option for you as you would be right on the bypass almost and half way back to ayrshire in the time it would normally take to get out of the traffic jam.
17/12/2012 at 11:29

Wow runners world have got christmas smileys.  Just think of all the festive fun I could have these lol

3 weeks and 3 days until I go to the house of the mouse and 4 weeks today the races will all be over and I will have a LOT of bling hopefully.  Can't wait!!!!!!!!

28/12/2012 at 16:34

All the best Cannigia sounds like a lot of fun and some nice weather to look forward too.

I've scaled my long runs back to 10 miles for the moment, was starting to build pick a few niggles with my knees and instep. Will gradually build it back up again in the new year.

01/01/2013 at 17:01
HNY everyone! Five ultras scheduled for this year kicking off with the D33 in March. All roads leading to Milngavie June 22nd.... Again....you'd think after last year I'd know better, but.....

Quite fancy a wee marathon at some stage this year.
01/01/2013 at 19:54
Happy new year markk, grey giant and everybody/anybody else that is lurking out there these days (and happy birthday bungle if you are about)

Grey giant probably a good idea to reign it in a wee bitty. You were running a lot of miles and your body starts to creak a bit. While on that subject of long distances breaking your body.......HOW MANY MARKK??? . Its not as if your body rebelled at all last year to multiple ultras. What could possibly go wrong???

I saw you had just entered D33 and knew you had entered devil and WHW. What else have you entered??? I thought taking on disney was extreme but you have put me to shame

I've got disney next week, london in april and I think frankfurt in october. Other than that the calender looks a bit empty. Seems quite a long time between april and october!!! Should I run dundee marathon in july? I've never even run the half well in summertime on a pretty tough course and its a sh!t race but something says I should run my home town race at least once. Then again I've not done the tour of fife for a while. Decisions decisions.........
DCB
08/01/2013 at 23:26
Happy New Year

Well after a Half PB in Glasgow and a PB 3:17 marathon at Loch Ness in Sept. I'm back in the game, although training has not been good since then. Life was hell for much of 2012 and I missed a lot of race entry dates but am now registered for 'Fling and the 70 mile Wall race Carlisle - Newcastle and hope to do Glas / Ed double and the Stride as well as a few shorter races although I missed entering any of the big spring marathons inc. Ed. and a few other ultras I had on my list.
Hope all that look in here occasionally are well, Happy Running.
Kiwi I work at Langford now but still travel back to Scotland at weekends, may see you in a race down here sometime!
08/01/2013 at 23:50

Happy new year DCB,

Good to hear things are looking a bit brighter on planet DCB.

Hell that is another lot of ultras.  I used to hate driving the Newcastle to Carlisle road when I used to get sent to work in Carlisle from time to time never mind running that distance.  My one and only flirtation with the dark side is soooooooooo close just one more day at work before I fly out although my flirtation with the dark side is probably in the kind of environment that would make hardened weirdy beardy ultra marathoners weep lol.   I think saturday is going to be tough and sunday is going to be hell in trainers.

Not long now take it away hercules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

DCB
09/01/2013 at 22:06
Good luck in that cartoon run !
09/01/2013 at 22:30
Thanks DCB

I jet off in the morning. See you all soon!!!!!
10/01/2013 at 15:49

Lots of talk of ultras - am I the right thread for Edinburgh marathon - seem so many Edinburgh threads around. I'll hopefully see a few of you at the WHW or earlier - D33 though.

Edinburgh last year was a lot better organised than the year before which was a bit of a fiasco. I still hanker back to the "early days" when we did a lap of Arthur's seat - either at the start or at the end.

Edinburgh always seems so hot on race day.

11/01/2013 at 03:34
Hello hillheader,

Nice of you to join us. We are the original and still the best edinburgh marathon forum!!!

This is more of a social drop in thread of a group of friends who ran the edinburgh marathon a few years back and wanted to stay in touch. Unfortunately its not as busy as it used to be as lots of folk have defected to facebook. The reason for the strange ultra chat is a good few of the posters have moved on to challenges and ppastures new and have moved to the dark side of ultra running. We are always looking for new recruits so if you want to join our merry band you are more than welcome.

Don't believe that edinburgh marathon is always hot it has had as many cold as hot races. If its on the bank holiday weekend it always rains on the other weekend its hot. No idea why but it never rains on cup final day and the weather in may is the same year on year (never rains until after school/uni exams have finished and not when your studying etc). Good luck if you enter and keep in touch

I'm at disney folks.........are you jealous???
21/01/2013 at 16:22

How good was disneyworld.  Loved it loved it loved it

8,261 to 8,280 of 8,349 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.