Edinburgh marathoners past and present

welcome to wor new hoose!!!!!!

8,321 to 8,340 of 8,349 messages
29/03/2013 at 20:57

longer

29/03/2013 at 21:05

I'm showing great restraint I'm not going to do the inaugural dopey challenge next year.  I'm not saying I won't be there in 2015 though!!!   4 races and 6 bits of bling.  I'm looking forward to it already.

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 21:06
07/04/2013 at 23:56

God I'm looking forward to a few weeks off running and some short fun stuff for a bit.  Back to back to back to back to back marathon training is taking its toll.  I'm knackered and my leggies are creaking.

10/04/2013 at 19:38

I think spring is finally here! Did 22 miles on Saturday and managed a new PB for 5 miles tonight.

10/04/2013 at 22:40
Nice running grey giant. Not long now to wait

Just a week and a bitty to go for my next outing. Not sure if I'm really looking forward for this one
17/04/2013 at 18:46

My first post via fibre optic broadband...no real difference...lol

17/04/2013 at 20:13
You are underestimating how good it is. I didn't know I could even read that fast until your post arrived

CNN reporting they have identified the bomber in Boston. Let's hope they catch him soon. A department store CCTV seems to have him dropping the bag and leaving the area. Hope they get hold of him and anybody he was working with asap.
18/04/2013 at 18:52

Very sad state of affairs when you target a marathon, especially the novice runners and suppporters. One of the first things I noticed on the video was the time on the clock at just over 4hrs.

18/04/2013 at 23:17

No such thing as novice runners in Boston.  Everybody there has earned their place there.  The old bloke in orange that falls over as he approaches the line is 78.  He was going to cross the finishing line in 4:09 - a couple of mins for crossing the start line = 4:07 - 20 minutes for starting in wave 2 rather than wave one with the flyers on wave 1. 3:47 for a 78 year old man.  How brilliant is that.  It sums up Boston for me.  It is the runners marathon and the ultimate race for me.  Been there once, would love to be quick enough to go again and if I get the time I will be back.  Whether I will be brave enough to take my mum and dad to stand in Boylston St and wait for me remains to be seen like I did in 2009 but wild horses, terrorists or any other foreign agents wouldn't stop me going back!!!!!!!  If you ever get the chance to go and run Boston.  GO.  it is the greatest race on earth!!!!!!

(sorry I'm unhealthily obsessed with it)

The CIA have just released video of at least one bomber and another suspect.  Hopefully only a matter of time.  I've hard guantanamo bay is very nice at this time of ther

01/05/2013 at 12:42

4 x 10ks and 2 halfs entered between now and the end of October when its marathon time again.

I think my body needs a rest and long distances are not what it really needs for the summer.  I think I will just have a bit of fun instead and run a couple of races I've not run before along the way.  Should be different.

01/05/2013 at 19:29

Its just as well I ran London while I had the chance the qualifying time for men under 40 has come down again.  Not quite as severe as it was before but 3:05 is 5 minutes quicker than it was for this year and faster than I've ever gone in my life.  At least in years to come I can say I qualified for London I just won't mention the times were "soft" when I got in.

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-3722-2013-vs-2014-%3A-virgin-money-london-marathon-good-for-age-(gfa)-qualifying-standards---a-comparison.html

Bizarrely everybody under 40 (blokes not unexpected) and women aged 55 and over (completely bewildering) have been hammered by the powers that be while everybody else's times stayed the same.  The women aged 55-59 have to run 15 minutes faster and women over 65 have to be 30 mins quicker than they were for this years race. Does anybody think HRT should be banned as a performance enhancing drug.  If they know what these HRT tablets are please let me know as I will be bumping some and trying them myself.  Being a pharmacist has to have some perks lol

The organisers must have let too many runners and not enough feckwits into this years race and won't want to make the same mistake again lol

13/05/2013 at 23:50

Marathon major 5 beckons next February.  I might go and see this pair when I'm there.  I need another Disney fix. 

http://24.media.tumblr.com/172364f0df064e02132e679d1c24c696/tumblr_mfmx4w275q1r3wb51o1_500.jpg

18/05/2013 at 13:12

Eight days to go!! Last long run this morning 10 miles. Planning a nice easy week try and store as much energy as possible

18/05/2013 at 20:30

Bet you are glad you weren't up here today.  I was at easter rd for the Dundee v Hibs game just up the road and we needed a pitch inspection to get the game on.  It was absolutely chucking it down in Edinburgh and 30mph winds.  Having said that I'm normally mint in conditions like that and  would have probably ran like a dream today.

18/05/2013 at 20:32

The game was nearly as sh!te as the weather incidently.  Thank god this season is finally over its been an absolute shocker from start to finish.  I can do fun things with my Saturdays from now until August.

19/05/2013 at 21:13

Wasn't much better over here on the west coast. Lucky I was out early enough to avoid the worst of it.

25/05/2013 at 18:46

Good luck tomorrow grey giant and any other random lurkers that are also running either the half or full marathon

27/05/2013 at 10:49

Hi 

Finished yesterday in 4hr 58mins

A bit dissapointed with the time if I'm honest as I was aiming for around 4hrs 30min but not bad as I had to walk for 3 miles.

Had bad cramp in my hamstrings and was feeling a bit woozy at 21 miles so I decided to walk. The cramp dissapeared at about 24 miles and I started to run and was feeling as fresh as a daisy for last 2 miles. Maybe need to plan my food and water intake a bit better.

All in all it was a great day with a fantastic atmosphere. This was going to be my one and only marathon but I'm well and truly hooked and planning the next one. Loch Ness?

27/05/2013 at 20:16

well done Grey Giant,

The marathon is certainly a learning experience and a painful learning experience.  On the upside at least you want to run another one.  Most folk run one and say never again.......at least for a wee while!!!!!

Don't get hung up on your time.  I go into races thinking you either hit your target or miss by 20 mins there is nothing en between. If you hold it together you will do great but if you come unstuck even if it is just for the last 5 miles like you did you will just haemorrhage time.  If the sun comes out as it did for you yesterday that time loss becomes even more severe especially after the few months we have had we never get anywhere near those kind of conditions to train in this year.

You did well though sir,  Well done.

02/06/2013 at 14:26

Thanks Caniggia

Thought I'd wait a few days before I replied, maybe it was the low energy levels but I was feeling a bit negative last week. Now when I look back I see it as an achievement to have finished despite the difficuilties. Especially as I never took part after entering back in 2008.

Good also to know that experienced marathoner runners like yourself can have similar problems.

I'm looking at possibly doing Loch Ness in September next. Still to see about accomodation etc. If not it will be Edinburgh next year.

8,321 to 8,340 of 8,349 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.