Edinburgh marathoners past and present

welcome to wor new hoose!!!!!!

81 to 100 of 8,349 messages
07/06/2009 at 13:19

I did blaydon a few years ago and to this day I swear that my momento was an ashtray!!!!!!

Remember to sing the relegation version of the Blaydon races at the start line Mick

Ohhhhhh me lads you should have seen em gangin,

All along the gallowgate to see the public hangin

Ashley and al hung by the balls with a pair of keegans laces,

It wiped the smug look right off......... their ugly geordie faces!!!!!!

If he sings that version I'd back him for a PB on fetch folks lol

Edited: 07/06/2009 at 13:20
07/06/2009 at 14:03

Well done on your race Can.

Great bike ride bungee.

I've been pretty knacked, so not done much as yet!!

I have just lost my first toe nail to running.   Ouch....

Still a very respectable time Mick for last weekend.

07/06/2009 at 15:29

Hi flying ant and got my washing blowing in the breeze Mick, cheers

Well done Bungee and oh dear Soph, mines still all intact. Nice wee 21 miler on whw today, hamstrings tight with the climbs, the garmin data goes up n down constantly, think that was about 3000ft climbs today. I NEED a massage!! 

07/06/2009 at 15:39

Hi all- just found this new thread- great idea - actually it seemed to find ME!!- never been stalked by a thread before, but suddenly it decided to add itself to my bookmarks!

On call this weekend, so did my pre- loch Ness training long run - real training starts in 2 weeks, but trying to build back up in preparation- can't go too far afield 'cos I need to be able to dash to the hopsital if necessary, so ran 10k in a wee loop round the gym, then inside to watch the F1 on TV, and do another 10k on tready- breaks up the monotony a bit.

Oh- forgot to say- congrats on the news, Smout- and well done on last weeks race in that heat!

I don't think I'll do Edinburgh again until there's some change in the organisation- anyway Lochaber is better timing- wise, as you can still do the Polaroid 10k series, and there's more recovery time before the run up to Loch Ness starts.

07/06/2009 at 16:54

Well done on your 21 miler Karen  all those climbs!!!!  your legs will be like a bodybuilder now lol

Hi Tricia yeh even Can doesn't know how this thread came to be on all our bookmarks lol maybe RW have got it that if you post another thread link it goes into a bookmark of everyone who has written on the original thread! Does that make sense lol
You do great with your training considering you have to stay near or in the hosp a lot of the time  My LN training started yesterday a week in advance  Have done a spreadsheet to keep a more precise note of everything I do running and cycling between now and then, more to just try to keep me motivated in a couple of months time when I tend to struggle and get fed up!!

Soph I have lost 2 big toe nails and it was so handy not having to worry about cutting them I didn't want them to grow back in lol It didn't hurt though.

07/06/2009 at 17:12

Well done on your race Can and Karen on your 21 miler

Good idea to keep a spreadsheet Bungee.  I keep my training data on Garmin software, sporttracks and Fetch.  They all do different things and it kept me motivated.  Not sure the training league on Fetch is good for me though - I've slipped to 400 and wondering how soon I can get it back up again!

I think I might lose a toenail too Soph.  One is looking a funny colour and is quite sore to touch.  If I do, it will be my first too.

I managed the heels last night.  Was a bit difficult dancing in them, but not as bad as I thought considering I very rarely wear anything other than flats.  The meal out was terrible though.  We went to what was supposed to be a fairly posh restaurant, but they didn't have the veggie special and the only other veggie thing they had turned up and was lukewarm to say the least.  They didn't charge us for that though so it made it quite a cheap meal out!

I have just entered a great race if any of you fancy venturing south in November.  It's the Guy Fawkes 10 mile in Ripley, North Yorkshire.  Not sure Can will like it though because in RW's toughest hills in road racing article, the biggest hill was voted number 1 .  I walked up it last year  It's a beautiful route though and they give you mountains of chocolate and a great technical t-shirt when you finish.  Only £11 to enter as well .

07/06/2009 at 18:48
Oh well done Caniggia, just seen you did a race. Sounds a nice race Dippy, nope caniggia hates hills with a passion.
07/06/2009 at 19:22

Hey folks. Hiya Flying Ant. You still a kept full-time athlete then??   Ultras now you say? What kinda stuff are you doing then? Karen's right in there with ultras too these days! Nutters all of you!!!

Well done today Caniggia. Great race. Hope the leggies enjoyed it better than last week!! Much better weather today for running a marathon eh?? Typical!!

Well done on your bike ride Bungee. Might have to do one of those myself as my quads, esp the right one, still mashed after the hills on Thursday and race on Friday!

Rest up Soph -no wonder you feel whacked today!!! Wonderwoman - whooooooosh on yer fancy pants road bike

Good on you surviving the heels Dippycat   Not something I often wear either - tend to live in trainers of one sort or another. Nice cheap night out but shame about the food

Hiya everyone else - Smiffie, Tricialitt, Smout, Jazz, Fox, others who I've inadvertently forgotten..  Been to Blair Drummnd Safari Park today with the kids, alone,  as hubby's been away sailing all weekend. Boy that was hard going!! Got caught trying to offload them on the chimpanzee island Now catching up on the F1 that I recorded from earlier

07/06/2009 at 19:28
From the woman that does an ultra for her 40th birthday!! Ha bedshaped!! I do like blair drummond safari park, i like the big wooden play area there, it's good fun. Oops what age am i?
07/06/2009 at 19:49

Ha ha big kids the lot of ya  I'll need to go to Blair Drummond one day!!

Well done Can I forgot you were racing today  get in there, all good to focus on away from last Sunday.

yeh mrs 40 miles bedshaped, you don't have an ultra leg to stand on there lol

That race sounds good Dippy  I am off to Lanzerote NEXT Nov lol Bro doing the marathon and me doing the half, a combined brothers, sisters + in laws holiday with us racing thrown in  the non runners love supporting us so its a win win  I have a basic training sheet on the fridge aswell as my Fetch stuff. But thought a spreadsheet adapted from a FIRST training plan with my cycling and club runs (going on Wed!!) thrown in might help me with my probable lack of motivation come Aug!!!! I'll need you guys then btw!!!!!! I start off like a bat out of hell (Soph that's you every day!!!!  then get fed up week in week out going out for 'must do' runs!

07/06/2009 at 19:51
Oh sorry Karen, I forgot to say well done you on your 21 miler on the WHW   Yeah okay good point on the birthday run!!    Wooden play fort is ace isn't it? I was struggling today with the kids things as my leg as a bit sore!! Bit miffed at the guy who insisted his kid had priority over mine on one of the swing things despite the fact I'd been standing there for 20mins waiting to get on and he was nowhere to be seen   He didn't seem impressed at being called a rude man either!! Hmph!!
07/06/2009 at 20:26

Hi   Karen D,   triple smiffie,   bedshaped, and anyone else i've missed

bedshaped, i've started doing 'little ultra's' just to begin with, i did the Boddington 50k 3 wks ago, then did the Dartmoor Discovery (32+ miles) yesterday.  Still on the learning curve but with better judgement and training i'll get there eventually, Ultra racing seems to be just as competitive as marathon racing though, only difference being you see the regular faces at each event !.  Am still a kept man, only just though, too much info to publish on these forums anyhow     Glad to see everyone is still running well.

07/06/2009 at 21:12

Hi everyone!  Did the Edinburgh Marathon in 2008 and 2009 and got slightly slower this year so will just have to try again!

One week on from the big event and I suppose I should stop the carb-loading now - got used to being a greedy guts and it's hard to go back to eating like a normal person (I think thats why I do marathons - an excuse to pig out for a while!)

07/06/2009 at 21:22

Wayhey i'm not the only nutter here then, thanks Flying ant. I've got a biggy on the 20th then another in August to complete an unofficial triple crown, loving the training and i find it less competitive and more friendly.

Hiya Betty, i do love my carbs.

Sounds fab Bungee, a half in the sunshine, bliss.

That was nicely restrained bedshaped, you could have called him much worse.

07/06/2009 at 21:33
Dont all leave without me,whew thats better, yes i might not be on all the time , but its nice to visit now and again.   Ran the Dumbarton Polaroid series 10k on Thursday evening got a PB with a time of 41mins and 5 secs, so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07/06/2009 at 21:39

Just the 20th Karen??

Oh yes Betty, bring on the carbs. Only reason I run is to justify the mass quantities of food I eat

Sounds like a great wee jaunt to Lanzarote Bungee with something for everyone too - perfect

Flying Ant, sounds a bit ominous. Hope things are okay. Enjoy the ultras

07/06/2009 at 21:52
Well done a shiny new very impressive PB AWatson and welcome to wer noo hoose
07/06/2009 at 22:15

Evenin' All

I've done 4 Edinburghs, including this one, Can I come in ?

07/06/2009 at 22:30

Hi all.SMOUT you did not answer my question.

DID YOU HAVE A NIGHT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WEY HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Caniggia

A new Edinburgh Thread,

Where is the pre race drinks and meal next year!! 

07/06/2009 at 22:32
Does anyone know the forecast for next years race?
81 to 100 of 8,349 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.