Endurancelife Northumberland Marathon 2014

21 to 34 of 34 messages
25/02/2014 at 17:08

The path approaching Craster from Boulmer looked fine today with no mud. So a few more dry days and everything will be Ok Will check High Newton tomorrow

In dutch bu with images: http://bit.ly/1hu5F8O

25/02/2014 at 17:15

Great.  I've received an event update email now from endurancelife. 

25/02/2014 at 17:26

Yep me too. It seems we are going to be lucky, because the last few days were dry and sunny. So much of the mud has dried now It was almost spring today!

25/02/2014 at 18:48

The weather was great on Saturday - same again for this weekend please!  A bit less wind would be perfect.

Your dog must get plenty of exercise - I'm guessing it must clock up a few extra miles than you on your long training runs.  

25/02/2014 at 20:34

hahaha she is fit and happy I don't know yet where I will pick her up on Saturday. There is one fence that I can't lift her over if and when it is not open during the run.. So depending on the weather etc... Maybe you will recognize me and my doggy We will be sloooooow so you will overtake me somewhere

26/02/2014 at 16:56

Dunstanburgh Castle up to High Newton is also pretty good now. Checked that bit again today and was pleased. Images are at http://bit.ly/1llIK4p and I will upload a new video with new images from the Craster/High Newton stretch

26/02/2014 at 19:26

I'll probably recognize the dog - what breed is it?  Looks like a spaniel of some description.  I'll be happy to get to the finish line in one piece.  You'll have over an hour's head start so doubt I'll catch you up. Good luck for Saturday.  

26/02/2014 at 20:20

@ david: no she is a wire haired hungarian vizsla no spaniel she is larger than a spaniel I bet you will overtake me, no doubt about that, you were aiming at 4 hours?

latest video with every bit on http://youtu.be/ftBSPYMcP7I (new photos from craster to high newton)

good luck everyone

27/02/2014 at 20:52

Cool - don't see many wire haired hungarian vizsla's about.  

I'd like to do 3:45 to 4:15.  I'm not really sure what to expect so my primary goal is just to finish. 

28/02/2014 at 17:33

Did anyone see that they changed the ultra route??? IDIOTS

NOT too pleased, really angry. route is different AND longer

02/03/2014 at 14:36

Hope everyone made it round ok & enjoyed the day.
I got round in 5:05 which I'm reasonably happy with. I feel like I've learned a bit from doing the race, and could be better prepared (both mentally & physically) if I did it again. 
Think I'll try a road marathon next to see how that compares.
Thanks again for all the advice on here.

02/03/2014 at 15:22

We were very lucky with the weather.

Finishing without a medal is a shame on the organization I think. Not too pleased. Hight tide an organizational error in my opinion especially since the utra had to run that beach bit twice.

Climbing the fence at the start? Was one phone call to the castle too much? To have the gate openend? No idea.

Am I too bitchy? Maybe but I did not understand several things about the run to be honest, especially the medal thing. Yes I am childish enough to want a medal after finishing my first ultra Booh

05/03/2014 at 20:10

Did they run out of medals?  I got a medal for finishing the Marathon - similar style/quality to the one I got for finishing the GNR,  It just says coastal trail series 2014 Northumberland so I'm guessing the same one was given to 10K, half and ultra runners.  For me the medal isn't important, but I can understand people wanting some sort of memento. 

I really enjoyed the marathon and thought the event was quite well organized from my point of view. Weather was good & lots of scenery along the route. Got a print out of time with splits on completing the marathon - never had this before with other races.  Also, endurancelife have been quick to publish results & photos on their website.  

I finished the marathon on the slower side of my estimations 4hrs 13min.  I set off too quickly and was paying for it by the half way point.  The second half of the marathon was a struggle, but somehow I still enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll do it again next year. 

06/03/2014 at 08:15

I realized that people who are not familiar with the beaches don't even know that normally there is a great and broad hard beach. It is beyond me why you would organize the run with high tide to be honest. And leaving the bull and calves in the last field on the ultra loop is a problem. Obviously everyone was lucky but so many problems arise with bulls, cows and calves that I was surprised to see they were still there (despite my mail as well). So it was just a matter of adding up small things really that surprised me.

Weather was good, route was great (but I already knew) and for me the run was easy (but I was simply enjoying it with the dog and was slow). No problems aches or pains what so ever and I have been running twice again and did not feel a thing.

Good to hear all of you did well and enjoyed it!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.