Exe to Axe 20 miler

exe to axe v the grizzly ? ?

21 to 39 of 39 messages
03/04/2013 at 20:20
Thanks ian will get trail trainers out do we have to run up the stairway to heaven like the grizzly ... Good luck Sunday have a great run.looking forward to it.
03/04/2013 at 20:55

It has been dry as a bone down here; the wind has dried everything out! The weather looks good for Sunday. Just a shame I am working... But; 10 days to go 'til Exmoor  Have just run round some of the course today, last time I went round I was slipping around and wading, today it was like concrete, not pleasant, very uneven. Good luck for Sunday blakester!

03/04/2013 at 21:32
Thanks sideburn . Didn't get a chance to make it down for a recca run will run blind but sounds like take it easy on the hills & more hills differently going to be a good challenge but good fun .will use it as a training run for the first part off the wall run.hope to catch up before run.
05/04/2013 at 22:53

Plan to run this as a double starting at Axmouth in the small hours : 6 hours really slow to Exmouth then breakfast then join the race back to Axmouth.

My last long training run before The Fellsman. 

05/04/2013 at 23:16
Fair play ian sounds mental running there and back as a training run but we runners know the crack.I've got 2 ultras planned for traing runs first exmoor ultra then in may the Cardiff ultra then the big one the wall run (hadrains wall ).done it last year in 2 days 32 first day then 37 the next with camping in the middle which was the worse part.so this year 1 day ..good luck Sunday mate ..
07/04/2013 at 07:56
Looks like top weather.race no.71.
08/04/2013 at 12:45

Well????????????????????

08/04/2013 at 13:04
Top run nice weather think only 200 done it .those hills with the steps was hard work.calf'sbit tight this morning .will do it again next year . 3hrs 37. Roll on Saturday bring it on.
08/04/2013 at 13:56

Would you like a 'if I were you I would' assessment of the Exmoor course? As long as anyone in the same class and event as me promises not to read it, of course!

08/04/2013 at 20:59

The course is hard imo; you start at sea level and run steeply up and along the coast path to a cairn (large pile of stones) at 300 metres (height); at this point you will wonder what you have entered! But the good news is you are running straight back down to sea level; except that the descent is tortuous and if you are not careful you will go arse over tit (and look and feel one) be careful. This brings you back to the start (11 km)

Next you go out (the other way) along the coast path. This is just up and down through woods, a town (Lynton), along river sides, to Countisbury, you then look down to Lynmouth (spectacular) there follows a long descent to the town (Lynmouth). You may think the worst is over... but after this you undulate up down up down.... (loose the will to live) This bit is pretty hard. But eventually you come round a corner and look down on the mouth of the river again (at the start) when you get back to the start you are at 44 (ish) km.

You then repeat the initial loop up to 300 metres...

My thoughts are that if you are too keen on the initial 10k loop you will go bang in a big way; so take it easy. The race could also go wrong if you do not save a bit for the second 10k loop . Remember that the run down from the cairn is technically difficult.

The worst bit is running round the headlands (after Lee Abbey) and hoping the next one is the one down to the start! I am certain that getting your pace right is the key to a good time...

The scenery is world class! Enjoy....

09/04/2013 at 07:50
Thanks sideburn good tips .what's weather forcast wet here at moment (Bristol).sounds like trail shoes again.slow 10 for me tonight.
09/04/2013 at 21:47

The course is dry as a bone.. rock hard.. No significant rain has fallen or is forecast... tough call for footwear....  BBC Weather for the forecast....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2646276

12/04/2013 at 16:50
Good luck tomorrow sideburn have a great run say hi when you pass me will have a redish brown backpack a timberland one and a green sweatband on.early start for me in morning & early night . Do you know how long it will take to get to start from j27 m5.thanks for the great tips.enjoy
12/04/2013 at 19:28

I would allow a good hour, maybe a bit more.

Come off the A361 at Aller Cross (The Northgate Inn) and take the A399 right, turning right again at Blackmoor Gate (towards Lynton) it was well signposted last year (turn left after the station).

I will be in a white Endurance life top and an Inov8 belt bag. Good luck.... weather looks shit..... but not cold

14/04/2013 at 12:27
Hi sideburn ... Hope you got on ok yesterday how did you do ? ? My feet are battered should lose a couple of toe nails which means it was a great run. That was a hell of a climb first few miles on the second loop it started to turn nasty with the rain & wind did lose my footing a few times but hey ho.it was a great run I see what you mean about the hills think needed hiking boots at one stage.running through valley of the rocks was outstanding and the cliffs was amazing looking across the sea .I finished 6.45 ..great run.
15/04/2013 at 08:33

I am feeling a bit second hand at the moment; I tried to win my age group and went too fast! Consequently I went slower than last year  So I am pleased that I went for it, but looking back I should have added some time because of the conditions. Hopefully my local knowledge helped you; did you see/feel what I meant about the bit between the valley of the rocks and the start of the second loop?

I stopped at the last checkpoint on the way home to see the ultra runners emerging out of the mist coming down from the cairn; it looked pretty grim. I did look out for you; what is your next race? If you enjoyed this race look at the Exmoor Stagger in the Autumn (Minehead Running Club) great race....

15/04/2013 at 17:54
Thanks sideburn local knowledge was great would love to run it again next year think I could beat my time again.what time did you managed ? It was very hard the second loop but good fun .my next run is London marathon then the Cardiff ultra (50miles) then the wall run in June.will look at that one in the autumn how far is it ? Did you start with the ultras.
16/04/2013 at 07:39

The words, "beat my time" are a sore point... I went half an hour slower this year 5h 10m. I wanted to beat 4h 30m and have run it (unofficially) in 4h 36m so this was not unrealistic. I think the weather was a major factor as the times were much slower this year than last. Next year.... (but I said that last year). I don't know how you could describe that second loop 'fun' and doing the London Marathon next weekend???? My legs are still sore today...

You are making me feel very amateurish! I want to do an ultra but pacing is an issue for me, I cannot resist getting carried away... even in a 10k!

The Stagger is 'only' 18miles but you run from sea level to the highest point on Exmoor and back again; 1600 metres of climbing in total. Scenery is again, world class.

18/04/2013 at 20:05
Hi sideburn my recovery rate is good I add cherryactive or beetactive in my shakes after training .just loaded run on computer best mile was mile 7 in 8.58 the worse was mile 27 in 18.28..my HR avg 154 bpm HR Max 174 bpm ...think the worst part of the day was walking up to the car park.been out Tuesday done 8 ..6 wed. And 10 tonight.rest tomorrow up London sat morning .will see how I tackle the marathon at the half way point may push on or use it as a training run .. Will look at the stagger on sunday.have great weekend .

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.