February marathon

UK marathon in February 2012

19 messages
05/09/2011 at 00:29
Does anyone know of a February marathon planned for 2012? The racing calendar seems a bit thin on the ground then. All I can find is the Endurancelife South Devon (which is a bit hilly for my liking!)
05/09/2011 at 09:17
Belvoir Challenge in Leicestershire
14/09/2011 at 11:11
Thanks SR - have you done that one? What's it like?
14/09/2011 at 17:50
It's offroad through some great countryside and has some amazing feeding stations and is cheap
14/09/2011 at 18:57
Hmm, "offroad" is that a bit grassy / woodland paths - or is it more of a trail? I'm only really used to road running (and the odd canal towpath to relieve the boredom). I'll certainly take a look, thanks for the tip.
14/09/2011 at 19:40
A mixed terrain. Often lots of mud. Grass and horse trails some road. A few hills.
16/09/2011 at 18:28

Not sure how far this is for you to travel but how about the Cotswold marathon on 19/2/12? See "Beyond the limits" website. I believe it is 3 laps of a course on undulating rural roads.

I did the Gloucester Marathon they organise in January this year. It was low key but fine. A colleague of mine did the ultra option of this Cotswold event last year (4 laps). He also had no complaints.

16/09/2011 at 19:08
I found that, but was then put off when I came across this:
"The Cotswold Marathon is a winter night hike around Gloucester and over the Cotswold Hills", which isn't the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Further investigation would suggest this is a separate event (for Scouts & Guides only) from the one organised by Beyond the limitations (although their website doesn't really give any details).

I'm already signed up for the Gloucester Marathon in January, so am glad to know you found that "fine"!
20/09/2011 at 11:32

looking at their website its 19th Feb 2012

here is the blog of someone that ran it which may give u an idea of what its like ( it does sound hilly tho :-/ )

http://www.realbuzz.com/blogs/u/SeanG/the-running-man/posts/cotswold-marathon-1/

12/10/2011 at 11:30
I'm looking for one in March too - as a backup for the Duchy one.
Not sure about doing the Belvoir Challenge one week, and then Cornwall the next... I know it's possible, but perhaps an alternative March one might fit in better (to leave me in good shape for Shakespeare at the end of April).
12/10/2011 at 18:13

yes especially if u want to get a pb there??

Jo

12/10/2011 at 20:36
There really is a Cotswold Marathon, as opposed to the similarly named scouting thang - I did it this year - not flat, 3 laps, blue fleece hat, little metal plate thing instead of a medal, strangely jolly.
12/10/2011 at 21:13
Thanks Fido - I found the details. Not sure if I want to do two Gloucestershire marathons back-to-back. But it's on my possibles list.
12/10/2011 at 21:31
Why Ffebruary?
12/10/2011 at 22:46
I am planning to run a marathon every month next year. Jan, March, April, May & June are already lined up, and I'll worry about the other six nearer the time. I'm just conscious that February will mean booking up soon. That's if the weather doesn't scupper my plans...
12/10/2011 at 23:38
There is always Malta at end of Feb - harder for the weather to close it down, though this year it p1ssed it down the day before and on race day there were still a couple of very large puddles that only the brave ran through.
It is maaaainly downhill, and you get some nice views.
12/10/2011 at 23:47
Malta we love Malta - there's nothing that we'd alter! Was hoping to do them all in the UK, but if we get a repeat of last year's winter, hopping off to the med might be a perfect solution!
12/10/2011 at 23:51

Would recommend the Cotswold event.  Very low key but everything spot on. I've done the ultra so the last lap was very lonely.  There is quite a hill at the beginning of each lap.  In fact the start line is actually half way up this hill.  Allow for the long walk in to the start from the HQ.

Good luck with your challenge.  Your October marathon has to be Snowdonia.

13/10/2011 at 00:35
October is already earmarked for Abingdon, my local. Snowdonia in 2013 maybe!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.