Fleet 10k - Results

Starting to get chilly out.....

1 to 20 of 21 messages
20/10/2002 at 22:15
Spent the first hour of the day debating wheter to wear a long sleeved top or go with the URWFRC vest. The expected frost and rain failed to appear so I set off with just the vest and a sweatshirt towards Fleet.

Arrived about 45 minutes before the start to find myself as one of three cars in the carpark.Wrong day ? wrong place ? can't be, I've done this before.
Just as I got out for the obligatory pre race toilet search the heavens opened and I realised how cold it was turning out to be.(Put it this way I didn't have to look too far to find somewhere to hang my coat...)

Bumped into BK,dressed in about 6 layers ready to take on the permafrost.I left it to the last minute to pop back to the car, take off the sweatshirt and joggers and run to the start.

Underway,and an assault on the sub 42pb over two undulating laps of Fleet.First mile in 6.10 - strange didn't think I was going THAT fast, so slowed a little and was pleased to be through mile 2 in just under 13.Back past the start/finish area for the second circuit and through the 3mile point in 19.20 , so far so good - sub 41 maybe even sub 40 looking likely.Into the wind again for mile 4 and I was slowly reeling one or two people in, passed 4m in 25.58 then a steady 5th mile , 32.32 , before making a concerted effort to speed up.
Back round to the start area and mile 6 and the last few hundred yards, managed to sprint for the line and crossed in 40.13 (by my watch) But I'll wait for the official time which hopefully is a second or so faster.

Very pleased to run that fast (didn't go below 45 before this year) and even more so after the debacle at Windsor (illness).
This was supposed to be my last road outing this year, but I may find another halfM to lower the pb that I was aiming for at Windsor.

Feel confident now that I can get below 40 comfortably, ran hard today but felt afterwards that I probably had something left in the tank.

Cheered BK home in another pb for him in the low 42s before ducking out of the rain and heading home.
Excellent organisation and a good race.

Oh, and once I got going I was glad not to be wearing long sleeves!!!
BK
20/10/2002 at 22:36
Slow down one day mate I can't keep up
21/10/2002 at 06:45
Good run Dustin - I notice you slowed after mile 1, I tend not to look at my split until halfway that way you avoid the psychological effect of "oh god I've gone off too quick"
21/10/2002 at 09:08
Wow, very impressive Dustin and BK a PB even though you'd been under the weather. I'm luckily enough to live in Fleet so I arrived there with about 10 minutes to go. I got a PB by only 2 secs I was hoping to be about 30 secs quicker, but I suffered with a too quick start and a lack of proper training as I had a knee injury that stopped me doing Windsor. But overall I'm fairly happy, training is heading in the right direction for Brigthon and the knee held up well.
21/10/2002 at 09:32
We had a look out for you slowmo but neither of us could remember your number!
21/10/2002 at 10:25
Excellent results people. Congrats, especially to Dustin for a great time (and doubtlessly a big confidence boost after Windsor).

Dustin, if you do find a decent (i.e. fast)half marathon course in the SE soon, let me know. I reckon I should be able to push 90 mins for that soon (here's hoping anyway).

venom
21/10/2002 at 13:04
Mmmm, is this the run where all the finishers got little trophies!?
21/10/2002 at 13:09
Well done Dustin, BK and Slo mo, excellent!

Caz.
21/10/2002 at 14:09
GtR - no, little medals, but a goodie bag too containing lucozade pouch and a couple of chewee bars and a questionnaire rating the race etc. (Good idea!)

Venom, re the half , will do , I'm aiming for close to 1.30 now.

MartinH - normally I don't look at the watch until 5km, but usually I go off way too fast and suffer.However if I'd done the 2nd mile in 6.30ish then perhaps I would've ducked under 40.(all the later miles were around the 6.30 I was aiming for)

Still, we live and learn from each race...
21/10/2002 at 17:12
Well done all, sounds like you all had good race times.

21/10/2002 at 17:14
Dustin, are you going to join us at the Brighton 10K?
21/10/2002 at 17:44
CONGRATS all, sounds like good times were had by all despite the weather.
BK
21/10/2002 at 21:35
Thanks all. Caz, Dustin isn't doing Brighton. Well done Slo Mo, catch you at Brighton in bright autumn sunshine !
22/10/2002 at 09:33
Yeah, not doing Brighton, bit too far to go for a 10k, however I will look to see how you all get on.
24/10/2002 at 10:23
Results have been posted at: http://www.hants.org.uk/fleetandcrookhamac/Fleet10k-2002-results.pdf
24/10/2002 at 11:43
Got 'em : 40.12 official
40th out of 436
BK
24/10/2002 at 12:08
Thanks Slo Mo. 71st
24/10/2002 at 13:56
I did the Fleet 10k - and took 7 minutes off my previous p.b ! Ok, so it was only my third race at that distance, but wayhay.

I thought it was a really nice race - well organised, enough people, and a well stocked goody bag.

Just a shame about the weather!

Thanks for pointing out the results.
i have been checking the fleetandcrookhamac website every day and couldn't find the link. Just checked back, and still can't find the link! Very odd.

Technology eh?

24/10/2002 at 15:43
Go on the 'news' page on the website, then you can download a pdf file.

7 minutes , phew thats some going - over a minute a mile improvement , you must be well chuffed!

Congrats to BK and slomo too..
25/10/2002 at 08:50
Weird.

I have looked at the website again - and I still can't see anyway of getting the results.

I just see "new - FLeet 10k results coming soon".

anyway.

chuffed.
yes.
very.
1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.