Fleetwood Marathon - Suitable for a First Timer?

1 to 20 of 338 messages
08/11/2009 at 18:43

Hi guys, I want to run my first marathon next year and I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice as to wether the Fleetwood Marathon would be an ok first race or if there would be a lot of club runners etc. and I would be left in the dust? I would hope to be hitting about four and a half hours btw, but it may end up being five... I'm not sure though, having never done a full marathon.

I only ask because it is a relatively small race and so I had some apprehensions about wether it would be suitable.

Thanks.

05/12/2009 at 00:45

something about the response frightens me.I also want to do this  a first 26.2.done lots of hilly 10m and a few 13m ..This is close to home so was hoping for some guidance..  

06/12/2009 at 12:13

For any event the advice is the same -

Look at previous results

Look at comments on here

09/12/2009 at 21:55

stephen

Fleetwood is as flat as a pancake  i was to have done it this year  but just was not fit enough   this and Blackpool  are more then 1 lap   but  it would be up to you in the end   i found Blackpool tough  on the lower walk as it was never ending

19/02/2010 at 08:59
looks like it is 1 lap course for the runners   very flat   but  a bit boring to my liking
27/02/2010 at 17:51
Please be aware that races organised by this race promoter will no longer have an official permit, and revert to the status of `fun runs', as posted by the race organisation team on the recent Great North West Half Marathon thread.
27/02/2010 at 19:23
who said  they did not read these threads
28/02/2010 at 15:13
I ran Fleetwood last year, it was my second marathon having completed Blackpool earlier in the year. V flat course, you did a loop out of town and back for 7 miles then all the way to Cleveleys on the seafront path and round the back on roads/pavement in a loop twice. You were with the half marathon runners up to about 10 miles then on your own, with about 130 completing the marathon it was more or less on your own for me from then to finish. I enjoyed it, weather was good and it was fairly calm for most of race albeit wind picked up in latter stages which would leave you exposed running on seafront. Not sure I would be saying the same if it had been howling a gale all morning!  It was a friendly atmosphere and plenty of free parking nearby.
28/02/2010 at 19:06

I did the half last year, its a small field and pretty lonely but the organisers always seem friendly and accomodating to beginners. I've done the Blackpool marathon in 5h11m and it was run by the same team and they seemed pleased us back markers were in the race

R

28/02/2010 at 20:41
I did the half in 2008   and that was fast course for me     got a big 20 mile in 2 weeks at spenborough az
28/02/2010 at 20:41
should have said ac
03/04/2010 at 09:20
I did the Fleetwood Half last year as relative newcomer, it was my third half marathon. Very accommodating for newbies. The course is very flat and fast but boring, I got talking with some friendly competitors which helped. Not sure about the marathon there though as you simply do two laps which I would find very boring. Might go back to do the half again though.
03/04/2010 at 18:35
John there is Chester mararthon May 31th out and back course i am in for that
12/04/2010 at 14:19

This was my first marathon last year and I too will be running Chester as my second marathon.

Fleetwood was great in terms of the very flat course. I took 4 hrs 25 (hardly the "cartoon road runner") and there were plenty behind me. It was also very well marshalled.

However, unfortunately due to the lack of participants and specators, it felt like a non-event. Almost like a training run. I had to pinch myself in the morning as to whether I had actually run in a marathon.

12/04/2010 at 16:04
Chester they say could be a PB course just done a 22 mile training run in 2h49
13/04/2010 at 12:19
I reckon i'll be in for this, dont mind the lonely races as i'm more interested in beating myself, not other runners, more of a mental challenge you might say!!
14/04/2010 at 12:51
Im looking at this one, i completed my first half three weeks ago and im tempted to push myself and try a marathon.

Kerry
15/04/2010 at 17:27

I blogged about this last year for anyone that is interested. It gives you a feel of the event.

http://madridrun2010.wordpress.com/2009/09/

15/04/2010 at 19:01

Subbuteorob

Fleetwood last year was very much a trial, so glad we only had a small field it gives us a chance this year to make it even bigger with a better course.  We have over 200entries to date (combined events)

This years couse will consist of a 7/8 mile loop from the marine Hall around the town and back then one large lap towards Blackpool & back using the outer promenades (new one at Cleveleys) and some main roads.

I will keep you informed as the weeks go by. Course has been measured (approx at this stage to get the gop ahead for road use from the council and police). Official measure mid June.

Ron 

15/04/2010 at 23:04
Hi Ron,
Also thinking of doing it for my first marathon, have you a map of the provisional route please.

I'm also a bit worried about being very isolated if it's a small field, don't expect thousands lining the route or anything of course!
1 to 20 of 338 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.