FLM, next year

What are the chances?

7 messages
09/02/2006 at 19:18
Hoping to be ready to do the FLM next year. Likely to be my first full marathon. How does the ballot work? Is there any possiblity of getting in as a first timer or should I book up a hotel for 2013?

And finally, I hear there are football club entries, every Prem and League team get a place on the green gate, how do they allocate them, does it have to be someone at the club who does it or can the club allocate the place as they wish to those not 100% connected with the club?
09/02/2006 at 19:32
Hi Mark
Missed out on ballot myself first year got accepted second year which is generally very good odds. I think they try and promise 5 years max so the odds are against it but you never know until you enter. Unsure about football club entries, I know running clubs are given some places and depending on the club depends on there own allocation process. Unfortunately the FLM is a big money charity event so most places taken up by min £2000 funding places which is good for the charities, if you have lots of time and wealthy friends and family this could be your route to a guaranteed place. Alternatively there are lots of other rewarding marathons through out the year in the UK or just across the water for big city marathons as well. All the best
Stuart
09/02/2006 at 19:39
Cheers. I'll look into the charity angle if I don't get in. Fingers crossed though. I'd love to do it before I hit 40, so next year is the last chance (curse those wasted drunken years!!!)

I'll have a look at the cahrity options if need be.
09/02/2006 at 21:04
Good luck for next year and not to early to start some training for half marathon later on in year may be.
ImRio    pirate
09/02/2006 at 21:07
Mark I did exactly that wanted to do it before I hit 40. 2004 was my only chance and when I didn't get through the ballot I opted for the charity route.

Until December 2003 the furthest I had run was a 10k in the October.

You can do it!! You will already have acheived so much more by this time next year
09/02/2006 at 21:10
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forward planning or what?!
09/02/2006 at 22:18
Cheers Rio, did you get my e-mail with my "plan"? First part's gone belly up, no GNR this year. :o( Grumpy now but looking forward to tomorrow's run. On nights tonight so a later start than normal tomorrow. I'll find a good 1/2 before the end of the year and still work up to full marathon for April anyway.

How much did you have to raise? Don't want to put on people too often!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.