Florence Marathon 2013

1 to 20 of 30 messages
29/05/2013 at 21:29

Question to those who have done Florence in the past. Do us UK entrants just have to send a copy of our UK athletics membership card? Or do we have to get that medical form filled by a doc? My membership card was issued in 2011. I'm wondering if I should have been sent an update.

01/07/2013 at 22:03

Hi, I've not run it before but I am running it this year and I lived in Florence 13 years ago.  I've had my confirmation letter from Florence Marathon and I have read the small print and it clearly says you need to have the medical form OR the IAAF affiliated membership card at the Expo. Before all this, being a club runner I emailed UKA to ask what I should send to register and they sent me a letter staying who I was, which club I ran for and that I am allowed to run abroad. I passed this on to Florence Marathon with all the completed forms on the marathon site, photocopy of my current valid card (not the doctor form though) and my entry was processed. I am simply taking everything with me that I have sent & received in November and yes I would chase UKA to get the most up to date card and information you can and avoid nothing to chance if you're not doing the doctors form.

02/07/2013 at 08:51

Thanks for that information. It's very helpfull. I will do as you suggest.

25/07/2013 at 13:10

Afternoon all. Just wondered how many RW forum folk have signed up already? I made the plunge last week and am already 3 days into an 18week schedule. Boom! Had a great time doing the Rome Mara in March, and hoping the November weather in Firenze is kind to us all!

Be good to get some pre race banter going on these boards! Has anyone done it before who can lend advice about the course, weather, sights etc

06/08/2013 at 21:05

Yes it will be good to get some banter going on here in the build up to this race. Never ran it before and really looking forward to it- I've just started my 16 week plan with the aim of a highly ambitious 3.10 (pb is 3.25). Florence is a great city, I lived there for a year back in '99/2000 doing a uni work placement. From memory November can be just like November in the UK - so potential for cold, wind and rain. The course looks likes it takes in a lot of the sight seeing places - Ponte Vecchio, il Duomo and the main central squares which are all close together in the centre. Flights booked? Accomodation ? I'm going to Pisa, get the train across and got a great value appartment booked right in the centre.

09/08/2013 at 16:20

Hi James. I've booked flights and accomodation already too. Flights into Pisa on the Friday - managed to get a decent 3* (according to Tripadvisor!) hotel within striking distance of the race start and tourist sights. Not flying back until the Tuesday so making a long weekend of it.

I'm training towards a 3h20, although my recent 10k/HM point towards a 3h10, and my PB is 3h38. I'm fairly big for a runner so tend to tail off on the longer distances. Training is going well so far though - following Hal Higdon's schedule this time, rather than the rather punishing RW schedules.

09/08/2013 at 21:32

I did this in 2011, great race, lucky with the weather as it had hammered with rain the year before. Trains from Pisa are easy, you'll also need to get the train out of town to the Expo but it's very close to the station. Great pacers as well with balloons tied to them, I got a big PB here. Any questions I will try and help.

16/08/2013 at 21:57

Thanks Kate, good to hear about another runner that has done this race. What are the drinks stations like? Do they give out proper bottles or tiny cups which are never enough? Water? Lucozade type drinks?

25/08/2013 at 14:36

Just wanted to say hi to everyone - I'll be doing this race too, but much slower than you guys. It's my second marathon and my goal is mostly to stay injury-free while training as I hurt my knee last time which meant my current PB is nothing to write home about. Fingers crossed I can do better this time!

25/08/2013 at 15:03

I ran Florence last year and it is a great place and great race.  You can get a bus from Pisa to Florence  from outside the airport(10 euro return). Water, water with salts(electrolyte) and I think it was in cups, sponges,  fruit at the stns, .  Expo is walkable, makes for a nice walk along the arno and you can check out where the start is. Rest your legs on the Saturday and jump on the tour bus(which does stop close to the expo).  Weather was kind last year.

Edited: 25/08/2013 at 15:05
05/10/2013 at 23:03

Hi Everyone

I will be running my first ever marathon in Florence this year. Looking forward to the challenge and a lovely weekend in a beautiful city. It will also be my first race as a vet - I turn 40 the week before so I'm planning to celebrate my b'day at the marathon party....!

08/10/2013 at 13:15

Ran this last year, loved Florence so back again this year, hoping to do better justice to the course.   Last year conditions were perfect 15 degrees and no wind or rain

Re EA cards, they are not being issued every year, that's why the 2011 says valid if paid up, economizing I guess.

08/10/2013 at 21:02

Hey, I'm considering this one - just how easy is it torun if I'm not a club runner? As in will a letter from my g.p suffice or is there more needed?

Also, could I stay in Pisa and just commute in to Florence on race day without too much hassle?

13/10/2013 at 17:13

Anyone?

14/10/2013 at 08:10

Slinkz - on the race website there's a health form that you can get your doc to sign.   Most doctors will charge a hefty fee for this.  So if you have a friend who is a doctor, maybe time to call in a favour.

Can't help re the travel on race morning, you'd have to check the trains and buses or maybe ask the race organisers.

14/10/2013 at 18:00

Cheers Shades, I'll have a look on the website - much appreciated.

Seems to be a quite quiet thread.... hopefully pick up closer to the time.

16/10/2013 at 01:35

Hi 

I also need to confirm my entry by sending proof that I am fit to run as I am not a club runner either, does it have to be that particular health form from the website or will a differently worded letter from my GP suffice? The form seems to be quite binding in that the doctor has to agree to take full responsibility based on a full medical check and they should give the date of the examination....

My doctor said the checkup would be very expensive and unnecessary and she will happily write a letter to say that to her knowledge there is no reason for me not to run (happily for the basic £15 charge of course!) Failing this is it worth/possible to join a running club just to get a registration number...? I've noticed that club runners get special entry rates for events and I have spent a small fortune on 10kms and half marathon fees this year  so that could be worthwhile for next year even though I'm not really interested in training regularly with a club...

Just booked flights and hotel, starting to really look forward to it now!

16/10/2013 at 08:20

Sharon -  joining a running club is a very good idea but you wouldn't get your EA card in time for Florence this year.   The EA card costs £10 a year and you would soon recoup that in reduced entry fees in the UK. and club membership fees vary from £10 to £40 a year depending on club and facilities.

I think they will accept a letter from your doctor, it must have the practice stamp on it.  I had a docs letter last year and it said  'I have today examined.... and consider them fit etc etc and rubber stamped with the hospital where they worked, wasn't my GP.  Your GP may be happy to complete the form, saves letter writing.

16/10/2013 at 13:56
Apologies for a potential plug here, but the running club I am a member of could be a good option for those who want the benefits of EA membership, and the support of a group, but haven't got the time to make regular group training sessions. Search 'UKnetrunner' on Google and have a look.

Once you join any club (not just UKNR) you'll be given a EA reference number. All Florence team need is confirmation of this number, you don't necessarily need a card. If you get to a point where you've got your number I actually have a template letter I used that I can share if you drop me a message.
17/10/2013 at 08:20

Alex - EA's admin is a slow process, they issue the EA numbers not the club.  

The club membership secretary would have to complete the online EA application for new member and then once EA receive payment they will issue the number, but you're talking weeks.   I know as I used to be a club membership secretary.

1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.