Food At Events

21 to 33 of 33 messages
11/10/2002 at 10:39
There seems to be more consensus on this thread than I'ev ever seen in a group of runners. So if we all want to eat porridge and fruit cake and bananas and drink tea and Stella (mine's coffee - weak, no milk, happy to drink it from a pint glass, don't mind instant as long as it's not powdered), post-race catering should be a great market to be in.

Must admit, post-GNR I thought the smells wafting from the burger stands were gorgeous. And I don't even like burgers.
11/10/2002 at 12:15
Thanks everyone for the responses so far your comments have been noted with interest.

Looks like fruit cake is an absolute must in future, good tea we always have (in paper based cups you might like to know Laura), porridge is an interesting one - might give that a go, fresh fruit is always available.

Keep them coming.

Cheers
Chris
11/10/2002 at 13:11
I forgot! The events run by the Long Distance Walking Association (also open to runners btw) always have little bowls of rice pudding with tinned sliced peaches, slips down so easily...
11/10/2002 at 13:30
Everything LauraL has suggested so far has had my mouth watering, but another essential must be ice cold sports drink. I seem to spend hours after every race trying to get something other than warm water to drink, and ending up with warm, fizzy cooldrink - yuk!!! It's not as if we can take our own, it wouldn't stay cold.
11/10/2002 at 14:33
Cold drinks are a problems ratcatcher - in as much as its difficult to keep chilled all that you need to keep chilled.
What kind of sports drink would you like?
At home I make myself a soya based banana & peanut "milkshake" as a recovery drink. Anyone fancy a fresh shake after a race?
11/10/2002 at 14:33
Mmm, yes!
11/10/2002 at 14:34
Forgot to say yes, also, to soya milk rather than cows.
11/10/2002 at 15:04
My favourite post-race drink is Lucozade Sport - the colder the better. Failing that I will go for any other sports drink, and failing even that any fruit juice. When I am feeling thirsty after a race I would rather go without than have a warm drink (apart from those that should be warm) because it just seems to worsen the thirst.
11/10/2002 at 15:23
Dont wish to be party-pooper but wouldnt a chilled drink upset your stomach too soon after a race?
11/10/2002 at 16:18
No, should it? I would kill for a cold drink after most races.
11/10/2002 at 19:15
Toasted teacakes with butter - not very healthy but there's nothing like them when you've just finished a long cold wet run. They go very well with hot chocolate.
Psi
11/10/2002 at 23:27
After a race I'd love a long, cold proper (not soya - sorry!) milkshake. Preferably chocolate and banana. YUM. Failing that, it has to be a bacon buttie and a can of Fanta. Which is ultra-sugary and etc. yes, but - probably because of that - it's like nectar when knackered!
12/10/2002 at 08:07
Carbo / recovery drink ... ban(n)anas by the dozen ... tea (pint) ... stella (several) ... and eventually a bacon butty with lots of tomato(e) sauce. Basically anything in reach gets hoovered down.

This message box needs a spell checker !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.