Fort William Marathon 2015

New marathon for the Fort William / Lochaber area

21 to 36 of 36 messages
03/05/2015 at 17:48

Ah- I'd "boinged" the other thread, as it had gone quiet- but I see this one is still active.

Starting to train for this now, after last week's Fling- the hills/ terrain shouldn't be too much of a worry, but running at marathon pace will be scary after all the slow trundling of the last few weeks.

03/05/2015 at 17:51

Good luck with your training. I'm getting excited for this now - looking forward to meeting everyone.

05/07/2015 at 11:19

I can't seem to get any info on the official site  as it says the site is using an unsupported protocol. Not receiving any emails either. Is it just my dinosaur computer or is anyone else getting this problem too?

05/07/2015 at 14:40

Hi Paul - you need to go to (not http - we've not had any problems receiving emails either. As the race director, how can I help?

05/07/2015 at 19:20

hi Chris, this doesn't open on my computer either.  I'd just like a copy of the profile, start time, registration opening time and is it number collect on the day. Is there ample parking at the centre/start line? Oh, and road or trail shoes?  kind regards 

05/07/2015 at 19:34

Hi Paul, final instructions are going out by email this evening. This will contain all of the information, but I'll add it here too.

Registration opens at 7:30am on Sunday morning at Nevis Range. Here you will collect your race number, shoe timing chip etc. There is free parking at Nevis Range, so you should be OK there. 

As for shoes, whatever you feel most comfortable in. The majority of off-road is track with just over a mile of 'proper' trail.

05/07/2015 at 19:59

Thanks Chris- that's helpful to know-......It looks like there are a few 7% hills, but nothing steeper than that, so if it's not too rough underfoot, I'm hoping it's reasonably runnable.

Looking forwards to it!

05/07/2015 at 21:46

Got the email. Cheers Chris. Feeling more relaxed (or anxious) now  Can't wait

05/07/2015 at 22:06

Great (that you got the email that is!)

26/07/2015 at 15:51

Cheers Chris, good fun. Hopefully managed to thank all the marshals on the way round. Thanks also to all those behind the scenes. 

26/07/2015 at 20:17

Another one to say thanks for organising  a great race- tough, but fun. The whisky in the  goody bag might not last long!

26/07/2015 at 20:36

Great race, had a really good day out, and thought it was a really good route. Loved the views and the hills and very runnable trail conditions, a good balance of terrain overall.

Thanks to the organisers and all the mega-friendly marshals out on the course. Good 'weighty' medal at the end .

27/07/2015 at 11:09

Beautiful scenery, great weather, fantastically supportive marshals, lovely medal and T-shirt, but... what the hell was that last mile and a bit all about? Seriously, you're knackered after running 25 miles, you just want a decent stretch to put in a good, strong finish, but you hit this nasty, bumpy, rocky path that winds this way and that through the trees. Then, when you pass the 26 mile mark, instead of a clear run to the finish line and the chance for a sprint finish, it goes all up and down, you can't maintain any sort of rhythm and there's one particularly horrible climb up a steep rocky bank. Damn, that was cruel. I know it's a multi-terrain race, but my advice for future events would be to rethink that final stretch.

29/07/2015 at 22:49

I was not bothered that the last mile was a bit "traily" through the trees- after all, it WAS a trail race, and I thought the last 0.2 miles being on a very tricky mountain bike trail just demonstrated a sick sense of humour! I saw the funny side later.

30/07/2015 at 10:47

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the race immensely. It's just that every other race I've every done has a nice, flat bit at the end where you can really go for it (if you've anything left in the tank). My problem with the end of this particular marathon is that with having to watch my step with every twist, turn and climb, I was never able to step up the pace and so I never really felt I gave it everything.

30/07/2015 at 17:47

I think their hands are probably tied with the finish area because of all the other activity stuff in the way, so they took us around the side of it to avoid any clashes with high wire courses / mobs of tourists / buses etc.

I had a big smile on my face at the finish as that 0.2m reminded me of the last bit of the Highland Fling and I just thought 'you b*ggers' - if we haven't knackered you enough on the trails, this last bit will definitely get you .

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.