Fort William Marathon 2015

New marathon for the Fort William / Lochaber area

18 messages
07/08/2014 at 20:52

I'm pleased to announce the all new Fort William Marathon. The first event will be in July 2015. This marathon has been created to fill the gap left by the Lochaber Marathon which sadly ended this year after 31 years.

The Fort William Marathon will be run along a completely new route which will take in more of the sights of the area, including Ben Nevis, Nevis Range, Leanachan Forest, The Commando Memorial, General Wade's High Bridge, The Caledonian Canal and Neptune's Staircase.

Registration isn't yet open, but the race will be limited in numbers because part of the route takes in the Great Glen Way.

Please feel free to take a look at the website - http://www.fortwilliammarathon.co.uk and if you have any questions or comments, please join us on the usual social media sites.

07/08/2014 at 21:43

Looks a good route!! Have done the Lochaber Marathon before and was disappointed it was cancelled!! Great news!!

08/08/2014 at 10:35

Brilliant news!  (Although it looks a tad more "lumpy" than the old route )

08/08/2014 at 10:38

There's the odd 'mole hill' here and there 

08/08/2014 at 10:58

Chris - I take it that it's an off road marathon?

Sad news about Lochaber, last time I entered the volcanic ash cloud meant I couldn't get there but it was on my list to do again.

...waves at Nessie

08/08/2014 at 11:46

It's a multi-terrain marathon.

About a 3rd is trail, the rest is on a mixture of tarmac (pavement) and rough path (the canal towpath for example has gravel in some parts, nothing in other). None of it is on water though unless you fall in - which I'd prefer if you didn't do 

08/08/2014 at 15:55

Sounds like my marathon is planned for next year then!!

08/08/2014 at 18:09

I did Lochaber for the first (and it would seem last) time this year, conditions were horrendous but made it more interesting and sad I won't be able to do it again.

Chris, a quick look at the race profile makes it look quite similar to Loch Ness - do you have the incline/decline? Not quite a Spring Marathon but will give me an extra couple of months to get fit lol.

11/08/2014 at 12:10

Hi Shades!

Are you coming up to Loch Ness this year?

15/08/2014 at 08:14

Hi Nessie - no won't be at Loch Ness this year but probably will be there next year.

Chris - thanks for the info on the terrain.  Unfortunately not for me, I only race on the road.

15/08/2014 at 21:40

Ecce:-

Start elevation - 356ft
End elevation - 683ft
Gain - 1420ft

HTH.

15/08/2014 at 22:18

Thanks Chris 

04/09/2014 at 17:19

Well, I'm in, was swayed by the VIP 'early entry' 

I also got me an 'in training' tech tee and think it's a great idea as non of us (really) have enough tee shirts lol.

12/10/2014 at 14:37

I struggled to get the entry website to call me anything other thatn "unknown unknown", but I think I'm in!

Hope the midgies aren't too lively!

12/10/2014 at 14:51

Midges will probs be in full flow in late July and running along the canal will probs be even worse!

I heard RW  are running and reviewing the race.  

12/10/2014 at 15:32

Midgies can't fly at more than 5mph, so as long as you keep moving, it'll be fine- pity the poor marshalls!

What are RW going to do?- doesn't sound like a race for pacers.

12/10/2014 at 16:29

RW are having someone run the race and do a write up on it.

03/11/2014 at 21:29

I'm tempted - am looking for a challenge next year!  One query for Chris - the start is a few miles from Fort William centre (ie hotels).  Would consideration be given to organising a coach from, say, Fort William train station?  I would imagine a few runners will be trying to get to the start, and a pre-booked/paid coach would sway me as I can book a central hotel without worrying about taxis.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.