Four Villages - Helsby Half Marathon 20/01/13

Entries Open

121 to 140 of 178 messages
18/01/2013 at 17:08
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

is there anywhere to store a kit bag at the start?

im thinking the car park is a park and ride away and warm clothes before hand will need somewhere to leave them.   Not sure a bin bag with 2 arm holes cut out is going to keep me warm for this one

Yes  - there is well organised bag storage at the sports club (or in one of the outbuildings to be precise)

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 17:09
18/01/2013 at 17:45

I you could get both outside the clubhouse last year Cake. I didn't bother then but I think I will on Sunday.

I'll be in trail shoes I reckon. I went out today for a 4 mile jog and the extra grip was welcome.

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 17:48
18/01/2013 at 17:52
Cake as always has the important question.

Trail shoes for me at moment.
18/01/2013 at 19:40
Cake wrote (see)

More inportantly is there anywhere to get a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich? pre/post race?

Might be able to fix you up there...

18/01/2013 at 19:42
Does anyone think that this race will go ahead? Snow's quite deep and it will be frozen for at least a few days
18/01/2013 at 19:49
The snow isn't particularly deep in Helsby It's frozen tho
18/01/2013 at 20:30

It's a big decision to cancel a race due to weather due to all the organisation - and the weather itself shouldn't actually be that bad sunday morning.  They can't just cancel and give everyone their money back!

The main problem is what is underfoot - and if really slippery then could be a real problem. The organisers would need to make the call before sunday morning though otherwise there will be some very upset people who made the effort to travel there or stay local,  and then to have race cancelled.

They must have had to face this issue a lot in the past though...?!

18/01/2013 at 20:42

From helsby runners website:

18 Jan, 8pm :: Intermittent light snow for much of the day was initially not sticking. Weather radar shows that the bulk of the snowfall looks like missing us. The main roads were clear earlier today but this evening's snow has allowed some build up. We hope that normal traffic will clear the minor roads over the next 24 hours. We'll be doing a full course inspection on Saturday and review the situation then. Assuming we are still good to go there will be a further course inspection on Sunday morning prior to the race.

The weather on Sunday is predicted to be dry, but cold, so make sure you race in suitable clothing to keep warm. If patches of snow remain on the ground then we'd advise also using running shoes with an appropriate level of grip.

The conditions remain variable, but we'll continue to review the situation and post updates as we have them. Summary: optimistic but realistic.

18/01/2013 at 22:27

Yes, hopefully we'll get a strong indication on Saturday rather having to wait for the Sunday morning.

18/01/2013 at 23:22
From Ellesmere Port it looks a no go but not seen Helsby. After they have paid for road closure and TM company it's a difficult decision to call off but possibly the only option. Lets hope for an improvement tomorrow.
19/01/2013 at 02:59

Most other races cancelled.... Hope this one won't....Keep checking website. I'm sure they won't cancel unless they feel it is really bad out there....So fingers crossed. 

19/01/2013 at 07:00

Another from Ellesmere Port not far from Helsby, this morning looks very slippy if it goe's ahead i'll be taking it easy.. People really need a decision today someone on here the other day is traveling 60 miles to run.

19/01/2013 at 07:05

Bear in mind though that this is ran on roads and the roads aren't as bad as pavements.  

19/01/2013 at 07:59

It's a tough call for the organisers.

 

19/01/2013 at 09:29

Agree with Ashman, a call should be made early evening tonight at the latest, surely by then it will be clear enough if safe or not, bearing in mind the freezing weather.      

Anyway massively pumped up for the race and fit enough for PB unless I hit black ice, go up in the air and land on my face

19/01/2013 at 09:41
Decision time. Shall I have a hard gym t/mill session or take it easy in the hope that the race will be on?? The gym is calling I think
19/01/2013 at 10:24

Decision today would be appreciated.  I and a few friends have 60+ miles to travel and dont want to make the attempt to get there and find its cancelled en route.

We have had a lot of snow in our area, roads are still bad.  More snow due too.

I can see other races are making decision by 6 pm today or already cancelled.

19/01/2013 at 10:36

Hi guy's and Girl's 

I am 5 miles away from Helsby

I went the gym this morning  and it was slippy as hell... 

No chance of a pb, slipped every few yards..

It should be called off..........sorry........

19/01/2013 at 10:37
2 miles from Helsby, the pavement sloppy as hell, main road OK, not sure about the side roads, need to drive part of the route later
19/01/2013 at 10:45

My car thermometer says zero but looks to be thawing rapidly here very near the course, I'll have a trot round the little back lanes later.

121 to 140 of 178 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW Forums