Frankfurt Marathon 2013

21 to 40 of 270 messages
02/05/2013 at 23:52

Training is off Emmy.  Legs sore and tired after Goofy Challenge and London a couple of weeks ago was just one marathon too many.  Plenty of time until Frankfurt. The creaking will hopefully have gone away by then!!!!!

I seem to remember a very nice wee pub on the corner of the Romer and enjoying quite a few fine German beers in the sunshine.  I had a wee week off with nothing planned after the edinburgh marathon one year and got a return trip with ryanair for tuppence.  I had no great desire to go to Frankfurt at the time but as it was costing me 1p each way I thought why not.  My legs gave up on me in the vacinity of that pub and the more I drank the less inclined I felt to take my leggies back to the hotel.  I'm a reformed character these days.

The notifications don't seem to be working properly these days.  The only one that still works is my edinburgh marathoners past and present one which I have bookmarked from years ago but I don't think you can bookmark them anymore.  The followed thread ones don't seem to send any messages at all these days but having said that I will probably receive 1000 e-mails in my inbox tomorrow morning!!!

03/05/2013 at 18:13

I'd forgotten about the shots too!

Training - I am at the carb loading stage which is a bit worrying as there are 5 months and three weeks to go. 

London is taking it's toll on my recovery, just a few short runs here and there with a couple of Park Run's to try and maintain some semblence of speed. 

28/06/2013 at 23:22

Refound my running mojo oddly coinciding with a return to enjoying a few beers. A new 5k pb of 18:19 came as something of a shock

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/522703/gallery/a_little_shocked_photo.jpg?width=350

Anyone got a worse running phot than that?

19/07/2013 at 13:50

100 days to go!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/496080/gallery/frankfurt.jpg?width=350

19/07/2013 at 21:10

But where have all the dancing girls gone?? 

Did a hot 18 miler last weekend, good to get the first long one in the bank.

20/07/2013 at 18:53

Paul, I have many worse than that..............

21/07/2013 at 18:41

Wardi - you're out the blocks quick! Training starts next week for me

Stephen - i dread to think...

23/07/2013 at 19:07

Hi all,

can you collect your race pack on the day and if not does anyone know what time you have until on the Saturday to pick it up? It's just that I was planning on going on the Saturday but now I am not sure I will have time to pick up my number.

25/07/2013 at 17:23

No idea Herr Logik but if you find out and can't make it in time then I'd be happy to collet it for you and meet Saturday evening in Frankfurt. I'm at the Mercure hotel which is close to the start area. I did the same for another runner in Berlin 2 years ago and it's no great hassle.

Caniggia - How the hell are you? Not seen you in here for a while which is probably more about me than you but good to see that your going to be in Frankfurt.

I signed up many months ago now and started early with training. Already up to my 60th session and hoping to break 2:30 at last but will settle for the club record of 2:31 something and then go again at London next year for 2:30. 

I'll check in from time to time and look forward to post race beers at some point (oh, and dancing girls)

25/07/2013 at 21:14

Thank you very much MC Dave that is very kind of you but it's all sorted now and my friend is picking it up for me.

25/07/2013 at 21:51

No worries. If your plans change and you need me then give me a shout

26/07/2013 at 15:59

Epic target MC Dave. Any specific training focus that'll help you get down to that time? I see you had a blinder at London but will you be increasing mileage? More MP runs? More mixed pace sessions? Would be interested in hearing and following your training as we get closer

28/07/2013 at 12:34

Hello everybody,

sorry not been in for a while.  Don't I just love 6 day weeks at work all summer!!!!!  I did love that excited only 100 days until the race e-mail that was supposed to be whipping folk up into a frenzy of anticipation but had me sobbing in a corner that it was still 98 days until I get a holiday.  Why oh why oh why did I have a big holiday in January......oh aye its because I did the goofy challenge and it was fab.

MC Dave nice to see you again.  Good to see you have lost none of your bounce   I'm not too bad at all.  Still running far flung places with varying levels of success.  20 marathons in the bag after I finally got into London earlier in the year and lots and lots of Disney bling to show for my efforts this year.  I'm scooping up those majors along the way too.  4 out of 6 ticked off, Tokyo entered for Feb and only Chicago to add after that provided they don't "do a Tokyo" and add a 7th.  Fortunately my running isn't in the same bleak place it would have been the last time our paths crossed.  Not quite 2008 but certainly not as bad as 2009 or 2011 which had me wondering why the hell I bothered.

Well I'm pleased to report my running has hit a very rare and unexpected purple patch.  I ran 2 PB's in a very oddly distanced 5.3 mile race (that's just how far it is don't know why), a 5 mile PB at bridge of earn and my 3rd fastest half marathon ever last weekend in Dundee in a time of 1:26:49.  The course was even quite hilly and it was a pretty warm day.  I've only ever gone faster in the pissing rain!!!!!  I'm not sure if I will be able to keep this going for the next 3 months but even if I can't it is a nice feeling while it lasts to know I actually CAN still do this running lark.  Even managed to squeeze in an 18 miler after work last night which was just as well as it has been tipping down all this morning.  Much better to have a long lie and a play on the t'internet than a complete drenching or long run on a dreadmill. 

Bad news for anybody that like me was fancying a bit of Bundesliga action on the Saturday before the race.  Eintracht Frankfurt are playing away that weekend.

Enjoy your sundays everybody.

29/07/2013 at 11:54

Good to see your going well Canniggia and a great update.

Johnas - I post my training on Steel City Striders Facebook page which is open to anyone so you can see it on there. Not sure I'm going to do anything a whole lot different to be honest as I reduced my time from 2:38 to 2:33:45 in London as a result of joining a good group for long runs. I've continued this group since London and added it to all the core, weights, hills, track, diet, rest, massage, physio and racing. My plan is to have a good solid block of 5 or 6 70 mile weeks (just done that) and then focus on sharpening up after my holiday for 4-5 weeks and then trying to run MP runs for 12, 14 , 16 and 18 miles before a few warm up races.

We'll see where that takes us although i have to confess to prefering winter for training. If it isn't Frankfurt then it will sure as hell be in London next April.

Have a good week guys

31/07/2013 at 17:33

Caniggia33 - not much of a footy fan so no problem for me. Well done on the PBs though - good sign and place to be as marathon training kicks in. After the next year or so trying my best at a marathon PB, I hope to do all the majors one day. 2 down so far (London, Berlin) so a long way to go!

MC Dave - thanks for that. Core and weights is definitely something I ignored last time out and am going to make a concerted effort to include it this time. I am starting training of a low mileage base though - havent averaged more than 40 miles a week for the last month or 2 and just concentrated on the short speed stuff. Your plan for the 12, 14, 16, 18 @ MP looks very Hanson Brooks-esque. Is that the plan?

31/07/2013 at 20:21

Not really Johnas. Read advanced marathoning by P&D a few times but just go with what works for me really and try to add something new for each marathon build up.

Caniggia isn't much of a football fan either Johnas

'mon the 'ton

03/08/2013 at 11:17

Nice target MC Dave.  There's a chap on the start list who pops into the sub 3 thread occasionally - 'Hobbling Harrier'.  He will probably be shooting around 2:30-2:35 if he's in good nick.

19:54 at the York Parkrun this morning, good enough for 16th on a breezy outing.  Only 2nd V55 though!  Planning on 20m tomorrow, will set off earlyish to avoid the heat.

03/08/2013 at 18:45

Hello all, another one looking forward to the red carpet, though I expect I'll be arriving a couple of hours later than some! 'A' goal is a sub 4:20 to get an F pen for Comrades this year. 

Love the flat German races, have done Berlin, Hamburg, and the Berlin 25k and really looking forward to this one. Some friends went out there last year (both signed up, but both got injured so they made a weekend of it anyhow and had a fine old time). Iirc we are in the Holiday Inn at the station. As long as it's safe to potter around we really don't care if we're in the middle of the red light district or whatever!

Bit of PF bubbling under but otherwise training could be worse. One of the many advantages of being not terribly fast is that only you have an interest in how your running is going, so you can enjoy things without any pressure

05/08/2013 at 00:02

Well that was bloody hard work today.  8 miles into the lovely strong wind that stopped the women's British open golf yesterday across the water at St Andrews and a very hot 8 miles home.  Why does the wind not cool you in any way shape or form when it is behind you?  I certainly wasn't running at faster than 20mph so should in theory have had 12 mph or there abouts of cooling downiness on the way home.  It didn't!!!!

Mystery 2 how come there is only 1 train north and south from Dundee to Aberdeen every 30 mins on a weekday and one an hour on a sunday but all the feckin level crossings are shut when you get to them forcing you to go over the bloody bridges.  it really is uncanny how often it happens.

Good start to the season MCDave.  Annan away must have been a tough place to go lol. The good news is you might get into a playoff this season and not have to worry too much about Bomber's Dees galloping away into the sunset. 

05/08/2013 at 16:31

Hope the 20 went well Wardi. Managed 17 yesterday myself and the weather played nicely

Welcome F2D... this'll be my second German outing having done Berlin. As a beer and meat lover, I'm pretty sure I'll be back again and again. Are you treating your PF or (literally) running through it?

C33 - it's called sods law! perhaps you were synced with and running as fast as, the Dundee to Aberdeen Express!

21 to 40 of 270 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.