Fred Hughes 10

Lovely race

141 to 160 of 160 messages
21/01/2007 at 16:44
Realy enjoyed today, aimed for a sub 90 and got 88!

Never seen so many marshals, well done all of you.

Tara, was lovely to see you again.
21/01/2007 at 17:02
That was great - now know I can run 10 miles! Was aiming for 100 mins with no real idea of if that was likely and was 89:57 on the watch so v. chuffed.

V well organised and good course and the bunch in the first 2 miles helped me as it made me start sensibly and then speed. AS Predicted 8 to 9.5 miles were the toughest for me but managed a "sprint" at the end.

Wabo - good to meet you and hope the run went well.

This one could become an annual event

Thanks to all the friendly marshalls.
21/01/2007 at 17:26
Tara said "loved the tea, rolls, cakes etc afterwards very good idea indeed - needed to put some sugar back in my system! :-)"

I must have run straight past them - picked up my (empty!) bottle at the end and saw no food. Where was it?
21/01/2007 at 17:30
Tea & refreshments were upstairs above the Main Sports Hall - think we need to signpost a bit more.

Sorry leadfoot - although you might have struggled with the stairs :)

Provisional results available at

www.stalbansstriders.com

Can you let us know if you disagree with any nos.
21/01/2007 at 17:40
gosh that was quick!

that's the trouble with non-chipped races though I guess as your finish time isn't particularly accurate unless you managed to start right at the front - I got 1:31:54 on my watch but started nearly a minute after the first people - ahhh well :)
21/01/2007 at 17:42
I go by my watch for my time but use the official results for placings.
21/01/2007 at 17:51
Ahhh, yes Paul better signposting might have helped.

But then, I would probably have walked straight past it. Left my jacket in the sports hall in the mad dash to get home for a warm bath!!!

:-)
21/01/2007 at 18:24
Paul: "Sorry leadfoot - although you might have struggled with the stairs :)"

My Zimmer frame is perfectly manuoeverable I'll have you know!
21/01/2007 at 18:28
Thank you Paul, to you and all at St Albans Striders. It was a cold breezy day so a particular thank you to the marshalls for standing out in it and for being so helpful and supportive. Ended up 1:07:36 om my watch, 1:07:38 " Provisional Offical." I'm happy with either. Sandwiches, cakes and tea were just what I needed - I have a homing instinct for that sort of thing. Again thank you. See you next year.
21/01/2007 at 20:08
Well done St Albans Striders! This was a great race on a lovely flat couurse although. Shame I missed the tea and sandwiches at the end as they would have been most welcome! I ran 84 mins which I was happy with so all in all, a fab day :O)

Will defo come back and run this next year and will reccommed it to my fellow berkshire runners as St Albans wasn't as far as I thought on a Sunday morning. Well done everyone that took part!
21/01/2007 at 20:16
Well done everyone.

AJH - sorry you never made it. I only got to the school at 9:25 so probably wouldn't have seen you anyway.

My aim was to try and run a steady race. This was my first speed race for 6 months having concentrated on training for 3 Maras in 3 days last October.

The endurance from those events is still there as I managed a very steady 7:20 min miling all the way and finished in 1:13:58 by my watch, missing a PB by 3 seconds!!!!

The difference between this and my PB race was that I was knackered last time. Today I still felt strong at the end. Heres looking forward to some Halfs in February.

Thanks to St Albans Striders. Great organisation and great marshalls out on the course. (GCR Member)
21/01/2007 at 20:17
Cool: http://www.photobox.co.uk/shared/photo.html?c_photo=1061204708 - myself and Clair-noE both in the pic :-) you must have just overtaken me as you finished long before I did!
22/01/2007 at 09:26
Hello everyone, what a great race! Finished in 1:38:17 by my watch and just managed to sneak in under 100 mins. officially. And I beat John Motson!

Big thank you to the St Albans Striders and all their helpers. Great support from the marshalls and a really well organised race. Loved the water bottle too.

Commiserations to those of you that couldn't make it.

See you all next year :-)
Hess.    pirate
22/01/2007 at 09:35
Hi all

Well done to everyone who took part, sorry didn't meet any of you, but was later than I expected getting there, and the start was a bit of a squeeze

Having had nearly three weeks off due to a non running injury, I thought my target of 80-85 mins was a bit optimistic, but somehow managed to pull myself through in 1:19:12 so really happy! The last three miles were heavy going though

Big thanks to the organisers and marshalls putting on such a fantastic event. I'll definately be back next year.
22/01/2007 at 10:14
Excellent race, thanks to the Striders for the marshalling and the police who managed to keep the traffic at bay in the crossing points.

Will be back next year.
22/01/2007 at 10:55
Well organised race as usual. Overall I think the changes to the route make it safer but you seem to come back on yourself a bit in the first three miles (probably just need to get used to that) and the start while safer was pretty congested. Didn't seem so bad on the old course. Not sure why as still quite narrow after 300M but I think the field was thinned out by the bollards then !! :-)

Probably just me feeling heavy yesterday :-(

Anyway good to see Mitts, Richard W and return to Bletchley. Did indeed pass Mitts at the second water station (Probably because she is used to the pub and stopped and put her arm on up on the bar (platform) :-) ) I did suspect you might stick to my shoulder Mitts as you seemed to be going quite well but I think tieing your shoelace is an old and poor excuse :-)

Sorry to hear about the leg Richard, 3 races in 3 days sounds over enthusiatic at your age you know :-)
22/01/2007 at 11:25
wine man, nice to meet you, quite by chance! How did you get on?
Have to say it was a fantastic race and really well marshalled! I thought I would do it in 1.40 (needed to do this as a slow 10 and did a very hard 7.65 xctry race day before). My bets for 10 is 85 mins and I got round this one in 91.05. Really happy and it felt pretty comfy (legs ache so bad now though).
just read up there, well done wine man!!
22/01/2007 at 11:25
bets = best
and we will definiteley diary date this for next year!
23/01/2007 at 13:40
The site doesn't seem to be allowing ratings to be posted at the moment.

It was a well marshalled quick race. The first half was gently undulating - the second was pancake flat, if a bit boring in places. The undated water bottle memento was a bit disappointing. All in all it was a good PB race but the Buntingford 10 was a more satisfying experience.
23/01/2007 at 17:04
Got a cold now Brooks, so my excuse is that I was ill :-)

Would explain why I felt like total cr*p.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 160 of 160 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.