Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Anyone else taking part?

241 to 260 of 968 messages
18/02/2013 at 14:13
White Star Running has teamed up with Visit Dorset for accommodation. So if you don't fancy camping in the “Athletes Village” (Chris’s Field) then book yourselves into one of the hundreds of B&B’s, Hotels, Guest Houses and Country Pubs in the area. Go to http://www.visit-dorset.com/ for more information.
18/02/2013 at 20:01

Hi all,

I am travelling down from Gloucester on my jack jones on Friday evening and was thinking about staying in the 'athletes village' !  Can anyone tell me where the field is ?  who I book with ? and is there anything nearby or going on on the Friday night as well as the Saturday night because I don't fancy sitting in a field on my own on the Friday night with a bowl of super noodles and a goat to converse with !

18/02/2013 at 20:29
You won't be on your own with a goat, coz my missus, son and I will be there too. Looks like the whole village is being invited to a barbecue there, and there'll probably be lots going on. We're coming down from Barnstaple for the run
18/02/2013 at 23:55

Christian we are in the bijou love nest from Thursday onwards.Fu Man the chief marshal is camping all week....hes going a bit Bear Grylls

firstly I think I'm going to have to sort out a little pasta and beer party the night before in the village hall

Im meeting the WI in the next couple of weeks.I'm sure we can blag some organic beef from one of the farms and pre race horse free spag bol for the night.

Dont worry about booking the field Im getting a list on the White Star website this week and we can get a party on.

The field is 7 acres unless your bringing a circus tent there will be loads of room.

FYI no goats sheep maybe, cows definitely 

19/02/2013 at 12:09
STEVE TAYLOR 27 wrote (see)
You won't be on your own with a goat, coz my missus, son and I will be there too. Looks like the whole village is being invited to a barbecue there, and there'll probably be lots going on. We're coming down from Barnstaple for the run

I shall also be in the 'athletes village'.

goldbeetle wrote (see)

Christian we are in the bijou love nest from Thursday onwards.Fu Man the chief marshal is camping all week....hes going a bit Bear Grylls

firstly I think I'm going to have to sort out a little pasta and beer party the night before in the village hall

Im meeting the WI in the next couple of weeks.I'm sure we can blag some organic beef from one of the farms and pre race horse free spag bol for the night.

Dont worry about booking the field Im getting a list on the White Star website this week and we can get a party on.

The field is 7 acres unless your bringing a circus tent there will be loads of room.

FYI no goats sheep maybe, cows definitely 

I'm fine with my 2 man pop up tent so i'll be grand.... is there any news on showers for us planning on not stinking to high heaven?

Sheep AND cows? We're being gifted!

goldbeetle - what shoes would you recommend? trail or road?

19/02/2013 at 12:51
My missus doesn't like cows. Might require a rethink for me
19/02/2013 at 14:50

All the cows are being taken out of the field in April. Chris uses the field for rearing his calf stock. That field is the nursery.He said from now on we can use it in June so all the cows will be moved on to pastures new.Its a dairy farm no baby cows will be hurt in the course of the race.

Em.

Showers yes we will have them. But at the moment Im searching for a place nearby to put them. A mate has offered to put them in her yard but they are at the other end of the village. Working on that one.Keep reminding me.

Tommygun2    pirate
19/02/2013 at 15:16

Hey  GB I sent you an e-mail via whitestar running, can't get on FB at work

Edited to say thank for the reply, and ok I will go with option 2

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 15:19
19/02/2013 at 15:43

Right your on get entered and I will put a note on the spreadsheet?

Ok WI to speak to next,so.

For the pre race expo in the village hall how about Veg curry and rice for the grass eaters? & spag bol for the carnivores?

19/02/2013 at 15:49
goldbeetle wrote (see)

For the pre race expo in the village hall how about Veg curry and rice for the grass eaters? & spag bol for the carnivores?

Anything for the special ones among us? I cant have anything with sugar or milk in it... I know it sounds stupid but the spag bol I was planning to cook tonight had it in there.

19/02/2013 at 15:53

We will be cooking it so Spag....rice? Ive never put milk in a spag boll

19/02/2013 at 18:25
Authentic spaghetti bol has milk in it, and pork mince, and white wine (not red)
19/02/2013 at 18:29

Really? well this is Dorset not Milan. No milk.

19/02/2013 at 21:29

Dear Steve, goldbeetle and Emmy H many thanks for the update.  Really looking forward to this now - looks like it could be a good laugh - will pop some Gloucester Brewery beers in the car to share out.  Ps I will eat anything and I love cows - just not inside my tent at 3am !

19/02/2013 at 23:58

Good man steve we are hoping to have our ale brewed by our mates at Dorset Brewing company so will bring a few hundred bottles of it 

20/02/2013 at 08:42

Hi Goldbeetle,

nice one I will bring my wallet and support your local brewing company.  I am only intending to bring a few of my local brews down for people to taste - not looking for a brewery takeover !.  looking forward to supporting Dorset local businesses.  A few hundred bottles ! don't tempt me the night before a run buddy otherwise the Saturday run might all go very wrong !

20/02/2013 at 19:51
Gotta have at least a couple the night before to pluck up the Dutch Courage to run
20/02/2013 at 21:53

Christian we will cast a critical eye over any beer  they do amazing cider too and the Perry is first class

21/02/2013 at 12:29

Discretion is the better part of valour. And running away is byfar the better part of discretion.  So, I will forgo the Athlete's Village and have reserved actual accommodation for the weekend.  A whole 100 metres or so from the start so no issues with festivity participation if such lightweight curmudgeonry is to be permitted?

21/02/2013 at 13:58

Must absolutely not drink cider the night before! Two beers is my limit on a marathon eve.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.