Gloucester Marathon

141 to 160 of 234 messages
08/01/2011 at 22:21

I received race info from this email address a couple of weeks back.

WILsONAnNE691@aol.com

If you email them they should be able to send you the info I got.

Ultra AJH    pirate
10/01/2011 at 13:03
I dont have anything either. I reember queing up last year, but I cant remember why
10/01/2011 at 20:33

I've not received anything but all the info you need is here I presume all you will need is your name to pick up your number at the school.

Good luck everyone.

10/01/2011 at 22:07

Less than two weeks to go!  Hope the tapers are going well.

I sent off an SAE with my paper application form and assumed that an acknowledgement would come in the post. So far, nothing. However, from experience of past performance by Beyond The Limitations, I am not particularly surprised.  They seem to get the essentials right - the race will take place, there will be drinks stops and times will be recorded - but I think they view a lot of the other stuff as a bit optional!

I think most people are taken aback the first time they do a BTL event, but you soon get used to it!

Edited: 10/01/2011 at 23:28
10/01/2011 at 23:41

Yeah thought id receive some sort of conformation but hey ho! Thanks for the link woody!

Just turn up on the day I suppose.

11/01/2011 at 00:20

Yeah I'd agree Tim everything seem to go like clockwork last year apart from my running hopefully do better this year.

What you expecting from this Muzza I'll be happy with a sub 3.30 with my current fitness level.

11/01/2011 at 21:49

I spoke to soon info came today!!

Woody, I was hoping to go for a 2.49 at xmas but its all gone to pot sinse I slipped on the ice and busted my ribs xmas eve, didnt run for 10-12 days and I didnt run for a week before that due to snow/ice, have been running the last 10 days or so but not been good as I did Glute med/TFL GRR, nothing but problems at the mo so just going to see what I can do on the day, no point in doing anything now as it wont make a difference. Sub 3 would be a good target tho. ask me again about mile 20,

I am looking forward to it tho. Got loads of marathons lined up again this year so its a start. Never done this one before. Travelling up sat and staying in Gloucester Travelodge.

12/01/2011 at 01:03

Mine to

Sounds like you've had quite a few set backs but the way you push your self is admirable. I think if I'm to get my goal of a sub 3:15 I will have to submit and actually do some proper training .

I've got a XC the day before and a fortieth birthday party at night so traveling down early hours Sunday. Not the best prep but running this more for training than a pb.

12/01/2011 at 09:33

hi folks, good to hear we're all in high spirits with just over a week to go.

I've just printed off the details from the site, agree not the most user friendly process and I'm not quite sure what they spend the entry fee on as it's not anything to do with pre-race info but i'm sure it will all be good on the day.

i can't work out what distances the drinks stations are at, and does anyone know if they provide energy drinks or is it just water? a nice cup of tea would be ideal but that might be too much to hope for!

good luck with your tapers and i hope to trot along with some of you on the day

12/01/2011 at 11:58
Anyone know if it is clockwise and anti clockwise on the 7 mile loop? It says clockwise in instructions, but mile markers on map show anti clockwise.
12/01/2011 at 12:21

Last year it was ran anti-clockwise. Would assume that is a typo.

12/01/2011 at 12:41
Jill can't remember the distance between drinks stations last year, but there seemed to be sufficient with both water and energy drinks in cups.
12/01/2011 at 18:43

I seem to remember there were two drinks stations at opposite ends of the loop - one at Elmore and one at Longney.  Not sure about energy drink - I always carry my own in any case.  I'm sure you'll find the route is anticlockwise around the loop.

I'd forgotten about the dramatic start for the 50K.  This is as it was in 2009 (50K not run in 2010).  You have to quickly fall in behind the race car just as you see the marathon leading group belting towards you.  The big danger is trying to keep up with the marathon runners!

12/01/2011 at 18:48
Woody, yeah a few set backs so I'll use this as a training run for the next 1, dutchy, then Taunton, London, shakephere, Stockholm etc, got loads lined up this year all a base for Berlin. lob a few Halfs and 10ks in for speedwork then hopefully it will go to plan, I hate training for 1 race and don't do speed work or high mileage, I rely on x training and regular races.

Think your doing the right thing with x country always good to do a short fast race day before a long run and it will build strength. good luck on the 3.15 in London, I find London or any big city marathon hard for a time coz you always end up doing 26.6-27m due to the crowds, at least like this race we can run the blue line. I am a big believer in x training, makes you stronger, especially for endurance races.
12/01/2011 at 21:03

Gary/Sean - I agree - it was anti-clockwise last year.

I am really pleased it's on the same Longney/Epney loop as last year.  It's a nice course.  All the Glos AC events seem to have been driven elsewhere by an unfriendly attitude from a minority of the locals. So let's keep it tidy and not upset any of the residents, folks!

12/01/2011 at 21:14
I am all for cross training. Although, I am slightly biased, as I am a triathlete really. Reduces wear and tear on your body and exercises additional muscles that would not get used in single sport athletes. It has made a change to only train for this event over winter. Back to normal after this, well for a while anyway, I have entered Edinburgh Marathon. I'm also considering Snowdonia.
Hoping for Sub 3 hours. Think I might fade in the last few miles. This is uncharted territory for me.
See you on the start line. I guess I will be the only one wearing Manchester Tri Colours.

12/01/2011 at 21:47
Muzza, Gary think we are more or less singing from the same hymn sheet . I to plan to run less marathons and incorporate more swimming and biking in an attempt to knock an hour off last years IM time.
12/01/2011 at 22:13
I am planning on more marathons but less running miles. Mixing training up is the way forward for me, I know I can't do more than 25 a week, so make it up on spin bike, swim, ski machine etc.
13/01/2011 at 14:43
I still have a spare room at the Travelodge in Gloucester for £29 if anyone is needing some accomadtion.

Happy running
13/01/2011 at 14:55
Looks like a triathletes training camp

I'm just trotting round the 50km
141 to 160 of 234 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.