Gloucester marathon

Money

21 to 40 of 44 messages
04/03/2013 at 21:41
They are not a charity - a private events company. I can't comment on the profits of course!
04/03/2013 at 23:01

I think it's fair to say that the organising company was not to blame for the cancellation.... and we've agreed that the costs on them would be pretty massive if they had to refund (I assume that most of these are fairly small companies, often run by fairly ordinary runners... but that isn't particularly relevant).

It's also not fair to pass all the risk onto the runners... so the obvious thing to do, if people insist on not accepting a "no refunds in case of cancellation" clause,  would be to take out insurance against this possibility - just like many outdoor events do.

At a guess, I'd say that insurance premiums wouldn't be much, but would probably add maybe 5% to the entry fees.

Personally, I'd rather not have the insurance added to entry fees...  but I doubt it could realistically be an 'optional' insurance.  Probably just one big policy taken out by the organisers, to allow them to make a blanket refund.  

I'd rather take the small risk. But it would be up to the running public to decide on that.

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 23:05
04/03/2013 at 23:14

I think the thing that annoys a  lot of people is the way they seem to have made no effort to either reschedule or even inform people of their decision and why.

Its simply not good enough for a company to shrug its shoulders and go 'wasnt my fault it snowed' and still come out of the whole thing financially as if they had gone through with the event anyway ......Its not like theyve said they will donate the profit from the event to charity. They are just pocketing it. The thing is though, people have long memories and its not that big an event it can afford to p.ss people off .......... watch registrations plummet next year in protest.

04/03/2013 at 23:34
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

and still come out of the whole thing financially as if they had gone through with the event anyway .....

You have to expect that this isn't quite true.

They must have avoided a lot of costs because of the cancellation.... but got the same income!

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 23:35
04/03/2013 at 23:41
Most of the costs in races are covered by sponsors so I would there currently going Ka Ching Sid the runners and laughing all the way to the bank! I haven't even received a email or any contact. It's an zbdplute disgrace!
XX1
04/03/2013 at 23:50
This would make me think twice about entering any event organised by BTL... The snow may not have been their fault but there is no excuse for poor, or lack of, communication.
Edited: 04/03/2013 at 23:51
XX1
WiB
05/03/2013 at 08:48
Muzza wrote (see)
Most of the costs in races are covered by sponsors so I would there currently going Ka Ching Sid the runners and laughing all the way to the bank! I haven't even received a email or any contact. It's an zbdplute disgrace!

I would agree that sponsors do help but I can't imagine they make a massive difference. I couldn't see any sponsors of the marathon listed on the site, or in fact for any BTL event.

There is no excuse for not letting people know what is happening, that is pretty basic in organising anything not just races. However, it still stands that you entered a race knowing that there was a "No refund on cancellation" policy. It's £30, suck it up. If you are that bitter just don't enter a BTL event again.

WiB
05/03/2013 at 18:35
From what I remember of boddington there was no such luxury of fruit, cake , biscuits, just water which can be used at one of their other events

The medal and if there was a t shirt would not beable to be used again unless they didn't have a date on so they can't give full refunds but I would have thought a small amout off a future race would be nice
05/03/2013 at 20:39
All I'd like to know is what's going on, no contact, no rearranged date nothing! Was planning on Boddington but no chance now! I liked Gloucester marathon and done it the last 2 years but I'm unlikely up return! Not for loosing cash plus hotel fee but for the shabby disgracefull way we have all been treated!
07/03/2013 at 15:03

Just emailed them again to see if they have any updates ... will not hold my breath!

07/03/2013 at 15:05

The no refunds T&C came after entry for me, attached to an email .... not certain that is a fair and clear way of doing it ...

£30 is £30, but more about the principle of no communication other than a note on the website, that slowly slipped off the webpage, until now it is gone.

Blisters    pirate
07/03/2013 at 17:59

As far as I can make out, "Beyond the Limitations" is a small company formed by a husband and wife team. He was a very good marathon runner in his day (2:12 IIRC) and has kept very close to marathons, pretty much organising the ultra marathon scene.

However, he has spent a period of weeks in hospital in the critical period leading up to New Year. If truth be known, they were always pretty poor at communicating to the runners who had entered events. However, they did organise the facilities thoroughly in advance of their events.

5 years ago a runner died on the Gloucester Marathon. The precautionary provisions, first aid and ambulances were in place to do what could be done. An inquiry afterwards found no fault at all with their organisation. However, this can't do any good for the nerves when a cold and icy event is on the doorstep!

Blisters    pirate
07/03/2013 at 18:02

Edit not working

I was going to add, that I would still like to get some of my money back, or at the very least be offered entry into an alternative race.

07/03/2013 at 20:34
Be nice to just know what's going on, surly they know and could have reorganised a date if rearranged? There has been nothing! Disgraceful! Clearly he was better at running them yhan organising them, I had sympathy for them when it was cancelled but now I'm just angry with the whole situation!
23/03/2013 at 15:17

Well I'm a bit late to this, but I have to say that I agree 100% with those of you that are not happy with BTL. My partner & I both entered, so we're £64 out of pocket I think, and I will take some persuading to have anything to do with this lot ever again. I called the number on the race details yesterday to see if there was any update, and the person that I spoke to (Anne Wilson I think) was fairly evasive. She said that they had not been able to re-arrange, but would be making some concession to those that had entered. She said that they would be posting something on the website in the forthcoming days.... I'm not going to hold my breath, given their previous efforts at communication. If anyone else wants to call to check on the situation, the numbers I have are 01452 722720 and 07979865453. I certainly felt considerably better after giving her the benefit of some feedback.

03/04/2013 at 14:15

I had another look on their website today and it now says this :

A note for Gloucester Marathon entrants. Entrants to the 2013 Gloucester marathon 2013 (which was cancelled) will be offered a discount entry to the 2014 Gloucester marathon. 

Which is not very specific. Will have to think long and hard about giving them any more of my money. I'm not sure I would trust them not to pull another similar stunt.

03/04/2013 at 17:37
Depends how much it is, clearly there not going to be rearranging it then!

Only reason I'd go back there is coz it's fairly close or I'd have to travel a much further way, plan to do my 100th at Taunton next year and this is one I need.

It's just a disgrace that we still haven't heard directly from them!
08/04/2013 at 21:24

Hmm.  I wonder if BTL are going to consider a 'safer' date, weather-wise for 2014... bit reluctant to take advantage of my discounted entry - good money after bad if it gets cancelled again.

Mind you, when's safe for the weather these days?  When I was a lad we had proper seasons. Grumble, grumble!

10/10/2013 at 17:31

Does anyone know what happened to BTL? Their website is down and no Gloucester marathon is listed for 2014...

10/10/2013 at 20:55

Probably still on a world cruise from the profits from last year

21 to 40 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.