Goody Bags

21 to 40 of 46 messages
14/01/2013 at 14:43
For anything under a marathon what I want in a local race is a reasonable entry fee, well organised/marshalled and water at the end. Plastic medal a no no, rather have none.
14/01/2013 at 18:55

OP - depends what your price was for the race. eg.  If i spent £20+ on a 10k i would expect something but if it cost say £12 i wouldnt.  But i have seen a few events put in their info that they are a local race and as such there is no goody bag to keep costs low.  seems a good idea.

But as others have said you cant please everyone.  I ran a 10k recently and they allow you to opt out of the medal and save a £1 off the cost of entry.  Still people moaned about the medal

15/01/2013 at 11:09
Crocodile wrote (see)

What's everyone's fascination with medals?! I could understand it if you had come top 3 but just a medal for medals sake seems totally pointless to me.

Each to their own I guess.

I think there is a temptation for people to have a great pile of medals and brag to friends about all the medals they have "won".  To the uninitiated, they would probably assume that they are all for top 3 finishes so yeah, it kind of does make a mockery out of the idea of a medal for simply completing the distance (especially if it's just 5 or 10k).

Goody bags, as many have said, don't float my boat much unless there really is something good in there.  Free mags are always useful.  I like the medal though but it wouldn't have to be a medal.  Just something, anything, that is a permenant keepsake from the event that I can look back on and have as a reminder.  Now i've started running events, i'll probably never stop (barring major injury) so this is going to be a very significant part of my life from here on in.  It'd be great to be able to have something to remember all that spent time by and if that's a medal, so be it.

15/01/2013 at 11:18

You'll never please everyone that's for sure!

Depends entirely on the race & price charged....If I pay a fiver I don't particularly expect anything. If I paid £12 for a 10k, say, I'd like a medal. For a marathon or adventure race it's nice to have a t-shirt & medal & goody bag, as you've paid more.

Getting a sponsor for the goody bag a great idea....Cerial bars, water, choc bar, cisps, fruit.....that kind of thing, is nice to have in a goody bag for a bigger race. At Wolves marathon for example they are sponsored by Greggs, so you get a Greggs cake in the goody bag, nom nom......

15/01/2013 at 11:34
Strangely Brown wrote (see)
Crocodile wrote (see)

What's everyone's fascination with medals?! I could understand it if you had come top 3 but just a medal for medals sake seems totally pointless to me.

I think there is a temptation for people to have a great pile of medals and brag to friends about all the medals they have "won".  To the uninitiated, they would probably assume that they are all for top 3 finishes so yeah, it kind of does make a mockery out of the idea of a medal for simply completing the distance (especially if it's just 5 or 10k).

What elitist rubbish.

Some people do like the memento of completing an event and for many people completing a 5km or 10km race is a very big deal indeed.

I've never heard of anyone trying to claim their finishers medal was anything but a finishers medal. Most of the public view finishing a 10km race as a significant achievement in itself not something to be sneered at.

15/01/2013 at 13:45
Strangely Brown wrote (see)
Crocodile wrote (see)

I cant agree with this. Im pretty sure that none of my friends would believe for a millisecond that I came in the top 3 of the London AND New York Marathons!! I think people like the medals as recognition for a personal achievement. We come in all shapes and sizes, so one persons 10km is another persons marathon. It doesnt make the achievement any less worthy of recognition though. Its just something you can look back on a few years down the line and say "I did that!".

15/01/2013 at 13:51

I don't agree either. Everybody knows that you get a medal for finishing. People aren't stupid enough to think that only the top three get a medal. Race numbers would drop off massively.

15/01/2013 at 14:25

one of the best bags I got was at Tatton Half in Nov, a medal, T shirt and a bar of chocolate which lots of exhausted runners appreciated. I do love to get a medal and not so bothered about the T shirt.

15/01/2013 at 14:48

I did a 10k on boxing day and everyone got a bottle of bubbly instead of a medal which was quite nice!

15/01/2013 at 14:50

This is why as an organiser you'll never win, as I would have dumped the bubbly. I never drink at home, so would rather have had a medal.

15/01/2013 at 15:00

Dumped a bottle of bubbly  dont you have a family member that would like it

15/01/2013 at 15:13
Booey wrote (see)

Dumped a bottle of bubbly  dont you have a family member that would like it

I agree, i've never heard the like!

mind you it was only cheap bubbly

15/01/2013 at 15:13

Of course it depends on the price of the race - but the best thing in a goody bag is something to eat - preferrably a biscuit or something else sweet and carby.

I live and work near Tunnocks - Mr Tunnock sponsors a lot of the local events and it's not uncommon to get a caramel wafer and a cup of tea after the local hospice 10k - Perfect.  It might be worth seeing if there are any food factories nearby - although Mr Tunnock is an exceptionally generous man, most companies might not be the same.

Part of my job is sponsoring charity events - so for our name on the leaflet and sometimes on the medal ribbon, I will hand over some cash to the organiser.  They can then either buy stuff for the participants or improve the event.  I get a lot of emails and letters about this kind of thing and the ones that stick with me the most tend to be handwritten letters with a picture or something along with it. Anonymous emails get easily binned and letters that look mass produced annoy me something wicked.

I once got a flower at the end of a half marathon -  I think it was just a carnation but I  liked it. It felt like a nice reward for hard work.

What NOT to put in goody bags - loads of bloody leaflets.

15/01/2013 at 15:16

Mr Tunnock is awesome. A caramel wafer over a bottle of bubbly any day!

15/01/2013 at 15:18

I dont like wafer biscuits so I'd swap you!

agree on the 'not loads of bloody leaflets' request though!

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 15:18
15/01/2013 at 15:21

Bottle of beer and a technical tee at last year's Surrey Badger Half - went prepared with a bottle opener in my bag, and after finishing sat in the Autumn sun supping ale and cheering on the runners as they crossed the line. Happy days!

15/01/2013 at 15:27

Fascinated that my query set off such a load of comments. Obviously struck a chord. We charged only £6 for our race (only £5 in advance), so cannot believe that anyone was expecting much, certainly not bubbly, cheap or otherwise! Our'plastic' medals were actually quite nicely engraved perpex ovals, unique to our event, not something you'd get in a cracker.

Next year it'll be £8 with a metal medal (they can have one if they want to pay for it) and a banana.

15/01/2013 at 15:33

You get a bottle of beer at the Ely New Years Day 10k 

I've chucked away so many more medals than I kept, I've chucked away naff mugs, unattractive paperweights, given loads of t-shirts to a charity shop (or used them for cleaning my bike).  I've got more shoe bags than I've got shoes.

I don't need a memento, I can remember the races.   A biscuit would be a lot more welcome 

15/01/2013 at 15:59
What do people expect for a race that costs a fiver? I bet the people that complained about the goody bag will be the same ones next year that complain you have put the price up.
Unfortunately there's no pleasing some people.
15/01/2013 at 17:23

I'd expect to get a run out for 6 quid. Take the criticism on board, apply your own filter and make your own decision. Well done for giving back and organising the thing.

21 to 40 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.