Gosport Half-Marathon

61 to 80 of 189 messages
08/11/2012 at 12:13

Don - the Gosport Half race pack that I got arrived in yesterday's post in a brown A5 envelope, with my race number; a sheet with various details of the race, venue, and what time to turn up to collect the timing chip; and a voucher for gait analysis.

The Hayling 10 is the following weekend I think, so doing both is keen

08/11/2012 at 12:40

I agree with Mr Evenden above

Remember if your name isnt on the list, youre not getting in!

http://gosporthalf.org/sites/default/files/attachments/Web%20Entry%20List%20as%20at%20041112_0.pdf

08/11/2012 at 21:29

FINALLY got around to entering the Gosport Half - nothing like leaving it to the last minute!!

Ran the race back in 2009 while down on holiday, I still remember the "puddle" on the airfield, which we had to go through twice, I hope it's dried up by now ....it was quite a large "puddle" and 1st time I went through the middle and wished I'd run around it, 2nd time I ran around it (in all the deep mud) and wished I'd just ploughed through the knee deep water again.

08/11/2012 at 23:28

David - thanks for that link. I am number 750. I am guaranteed a personal best time!

10/11/2012 at 09:17

Hamstring  pull last night speed tranning at the running track, so 50/50 for Gosport half. So looking forward to it. Long way to come from Somerset with a hamstring pull, so ill test run the old 54 year old leg on sat to check it out hope it be ok by then. Frist time going to Gosport half, was hoping for new pb 10. 26,

10/11/2012 at 10:35
kevin stenner 2 wrote (see)

Hamstring  pull last night speed tranning at the running track, so 50/50 for Gosport half. So looking forward to it. Long way to come from Somerset with a hamstring pull, so ill test run the old 54 year old leg on sat to check it out hope it be ok by then. Frist time going to Gosport half, was hoping for new pb 10. 26,

Kevin, do you think when Captain Cook set off to discover Australia he said 'Oh I have a bit of a cold, I might just stay in England instead...'. Nope, he manned up!

Thats the attitude I want to see from you when you turn up to the Gosport Half next week. Dont let me down!

10/11/2012 at 12:10

Are you icing the hamstring???

10/11/2012 at 13:03

Kev, if you've really pulled your hamstring, you won't be racing a half marathon for weeks and weeks, let aone in 8days!

It might just be like mine, perenially tight and a little twingey, but in effect no problemo. Fingers crossed eh

11/11/2012 at 08:24

My leg will be ok next week to go off and discover the great land of Gosport, not going to let you south coast boys think us farmyard boys from somerset are not up to it david.

Been icing the old leg all day yesterday big improvement zoe, ill be on the start line next sunday,with my Alzheimers vest on ready to run.

Dont think my hamstring pulled that bad stevie been walking ok so far today not alot of pain, i think mybe like yours a little twingey,ill be there going for it.

11/11/2012 at 12:53

you'll be fine to get round as a minimum I'm sure. Race day magic has a way of making you forget niggles whilst racing. It's just the after sometimes!

11/11/2012 at 14:10

Dont worry Kevin , if I see #906 from Yeovil Town Road Runners clutching a hammy, I'll be sure to stop and cheer you on ......

12/11/2012 at 08:03

Not long to go now! I'm getting really excited. This is my first 1/2 marathon and I am desperate to see how fast I can go so I can get a decent race time prediction for the full marathon. I've only been running since May so am a bit clueless.

My kids have had horrible colds and coughs. Normally I catch these right away but I seem to have been holding off this one! This morning though I woke up with the sniffles. Really hope I am over it by race day!

Quick question for you all. What will you run in? Racing vests, t-shirts or full sleeve tops? I was going to wear a thicker full sleeve top that I use in training and keeps me warm but was not sure whether it is better to wear something thinner on race day perhaps.

12/11/2012 at 09:11

Personally I find you get reasonably hot quite quickly while running and remember that your body is putting a lot of effort into trying to cool you down while you are running, so everything you can do to help it (ie by wearing less and thinner clothes) can only help your running effort. If you have a partner or someone near the start who is not in the race, I would just wear something comfortable, then strip off just before the start of the race. Failing that, I would go for the thinnest jacket you can find (thats what Im doing - just a shirt and a thin running jacket) and just accept you might be a bit cold at the start of the race. 

12/11/2012 at 09:20

Hi Khanivore, dont go off the start line to fast thats the mistake that most new runners make, its a long way over 13 miles to the finish line. Best to run a nice continuous constant pace all the way  to the finish line. I would run in running vest if the weather like it is today, it my seen cold at the frist 3 to 4 miles but it will soon warm up.

12/11/2012 at 10:22

All good advice. Thanks guys. Based on my 10k time the MacMillan calculator is telling me that my 1/2 marathon pace is 8:47 min/mile. I think I am going to play it safe though and start off at 9:00 min/mile and reassess at the half way point. I know it's slow but at least I know I have a fighting chance of finishing in under 2 hrs which was my goal anyway.

I have a light ron hill full sleeve top. I think I will wear that. I look like a banana in it as it is flouro yellow lol. The part of me that gets cold is my hands. I will stick on my thin runnning gloves. 

Starting to get really excited about this now! WOOHOOOO.

12/11/2012 at 10:45

Hi everyone. I came back from a weekend away to find my race number has arrived. Happy days. Looks like I have just got my entry in time as the race is now full. Keep an eye out for Number 1914! Looks like the forecast will be fairly decent as well, sunny with light winds, so I'll be in the shorts and light top, just as the GSR.

12/11/2012 at 11:34

Like Kevin says ...... steady pace through the race ..... It can be very tempting to go out hard with the rest of the people but you will pay the price a couple of miles in and you'll ruin any chance you have of your target of 2 hours. Remember there is no point trying to keep up with the likes of Kevin, he's been doing this for years, hes like a well oiled machine. The only time the like of me and you will see him is at the starting line and as we are crossing the finish line by which time hes already had time to change, have lunch, and be ready to head back home.

12/11/2012 at 11:39

David. I couldn't agree with you more. I found that I had a good steady pace in the recent GSR. If I get near the 2 hour mark, I'll be happy - but then whatever I come in at will be a PB, being my first time at this distance.

12/11/2012 at 11:53

Good luck David M! This is only my 3rd HM but the first time on a flat course so Im hoping do somewhere around the 1:55 mark (although Im aiming for 1:50 flat) .... the only other bit of advice I could give (and this is because of something I noticed
on my first HM), and that is make sure you get a good feel for your 'pace' while your training, ie how fast you are running. What I mean is that when I was in my first HM I kept thinking 'Am I doing the same pace as I would in training, or am I going faster?' and also I was wondering if I was just keeping the same pace as the other people around me rather than the pace I should be doing. It can kind of be easy to end up running at the same pace as the person next to you, even though they might be going slightly faster or slower than you would like.

Or as someone else put it 'Dont end up running someone elses race.'

12/11/2012 at 13:07

Hi, newbie here.

Running my 7th half on sunday and first in 3 years, very much looking forward to it, hoping to beat my PB of 1.38.58 by at least 3 mins for my 7th PB in 7, so hoping for a windless day.

One question about the course, are their toilets on route?  Never needed to go before, but paranoid about it this time for some reason!!!

Everyone have a good race, i'm lucky 1900, never had such an easy number to remember before.

61 to 80 of 189 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.