Gosport Half-Marathon

81 to 100 of 189 messages
12/11/2012 at 21:49

yipee, got my race number today 1846, so everyone that passes me, including the bus driver say hello. My first one hoping for under 2 hours, the pack says no ipod, are they serious! spent the last couple of  weeks training with it singing out 80's tunes to get my breathing right! got to have the tunes

12/11/2012 at 22:14

I dont have a particular axe to grind on Ipods (other music players are also available....), other than they dont suit me for outside running, but on a treadmill is an essential accessory. Must be a balance/awareness thing?

I did observe, during the Great South Run this year, that an ambulance approaching from behind was being delayed getting through the runners. At one point (about the 7 mile mark, I think, if anyone else was there) a lot of the more observant runners as well as spectators were all calling to get off the road, but the way wasnt being cleared all that quickly. I had to tap another runner's shoulder to draw attention to the situation. I assume the Ipod/earbuds/volume setting had something to do with that.

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 22:18
12/11/2012 at 22:27

They should let you put your headphones on while  running around the landing strip ....... failing that I dont mind singing a bit of Flock of Seagulls if anyone cares to jog next to me.

13/11/2012 at 20:02

David, as long as i am not the only one singing, still going to bring my ipod as thats how i have trained, tracks per mile so i now know when Dead or Alive come on with spin me right round i have done 6 miles,

13/11/2012 at 20:05
Really looking forward to Sunday. I've had a terrible year running - iinjuries, slow races etc so really hoping just to get round without too much pain! I dislike running without music as I find it really helps to take my mind off any niggles, but appreciate why they insist on no headphones from a H&S view. We'll just have to sing to one another on the way round (if I can get my breath).
13/11/2012 at 21:00

The website clearly states that MP3 players are not allowed.

13/11/2012 at 21:32

lol, Piers is the life and soul of any party

13/11/2012 at 21:46
Don Donnelly 2 wrote (see)

spent the last couple of  weeks training with it singing out 80's tunes to get my breathing right! got to have the tunes

Maybe breathing would be easier if you weren't trying to sing and run

One thing this forum needs more of is ipod discussions though.

13/11/2012 at 21:55

One thing this forum needs more of is ipod discussions though.

Stevie G - you strike me as a bit partial to some Wham! there ..... am I right?

14/11/2012 at 16:44

Sounds good to me. Cant wait to the half marathon singalong!

14/11/2012 at 20:05

I'm sure you'll have time to sing a song for all of us David

14/11/2012 at 20:19

I'll give it a bit of 'I  will survive' at the 7 mile mark ....... although to be honest, it might just be me whispering it to the paramedics ......

Edited: 14/11/2012 at 20:20
14/11/2012 at 23:01

I'm in for Gosport this weekend and looking forward to it. I've a charity place in the VLM next year and using this as early base training for it. Managed 2 HMs over last few months, but now looking to get under the 2hr mark on Sunday.

I've done all my running with an Iphone for music and pace / timing (Runkeeper), so this will be strange to run without it. But I've got a new Garmin 610 to test (Birthday pressie), so will be using that for pace / tracking.

Hope to meet a few of you there. Tim 

14/11/2012 at 23:14

Good stuff Rattler ........ remember to set your Virtual partner to the correct pace ...... I set mine to 3mph faster than I wanted and set a new 5km PB before I realised where I was going wrong .......

(the above story was for amusement purposes only and never actually happened)

14/11/2012 at 23:22

Thanks David, I'll set the virtual runner for 2 hr pace (~9mins / mile ????) and work it from there. In both of my HMs to date, I've gone off too fast and sufferd, so I need to rev it back a bit 

I was hoping to get a 16 week VLM training plan loaded into to 610, but technology has go the better of me for sure. But I've still got a few weeks to get that sorted if I can....

15/11/2012 at 13:22

Afternoon all,

One of the guys I going to run this with has had to pull out injured.  I was planning to ingnore my watch and chase him around to try and get a new pb.  Anybody know anyone how has entered and is looking to do a 1:24 ish?

15/11/2012 at 14:00
Rob Cowlard wrote (see)

Afternoon all,

One of the guys I going to run this with has had to pull out injured.  I was planning to ingnore my watch and chase him around to try and get a new pb.  Anybody know anyone how has entered and is looking to do a 1:24 ish?

1:24!!!

(does a comedy spit of the coke I am drinking onto the computer monitor)

Errr, yeah you probably don't want to follow me then! lol.

15/11/2012 at 14:12

Or me. I'll be happy to do it in just over two hours. Mind, if anyone hears me singing, their pace will increase just to get away! lol.

15/11/2012 at 14:21

Sorry - back to ipods / MP3's. I ran this last year and am down to do it again this year. Had to collect my number / chip etc from a different desk at the start as I entered really late so did not get the pre run gumpf NOR did I see the apparently blooming obvious signs everywhere that said NO MP3'S !! I wore my MP3 and it was only when I finished that a marshall told me they were banned.....I was very surprised and clearly that registered on my face. He was a good man and said that they had been told to disqualify anyone who was wearing one but let me off !!! So...be warned.....they WILL disqualify you. I have done quite a few marathons now where music is banned and that is getting to be more common - and it is very doable....just go with the rhytmn of your breathing and you will be fine. 

15/11/2012 at 14:29
but half the time you are just running around an airfield with nary a car in sight ...... seems to me they should say 'between miles 3 and 7 you can wear your ipods' .... I know that sounds awkward but better than nothing and then obviously if you choose to keep wearing your headphones after that, well you takes your chances dont you.

Anyway Ive already found a solution, Im going to have my driver drive alongside me the whole way with the window down and the stereo on.
81 to 100 of 189 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.