Gosport Half-Marathon

101 to 120 of 189 messages
15/11/2012 at 15:29

Apologises David....I find baby wipes get most things clean if the monitor is a bit tacky now. 

On the music front I know where people are coming from with the 'why not?' question especially if you could do it where it effects no one else, but it pretty much also does.  Depending on where you are in the field there will be plenty of places where if listening to music you'd block other runners by not being able to hear an 'excuse me please" coming from behind.  I did Bath a few years back starting in the 1:45 group and the first 5km or was so frustrating, it only takes a small gaggle of people with tunes on to completely block the course.  It is even worse when marshalling and you can't warn people of a hazard or get them to more over to let the medics past......(deep breath - he says getting back down from his soap box)  

16/11/2012 at 14:02

fingers crossed the weather looks ok, Monday not so!

16/11/2012 at 14:32

forecast is sunny and around 7 or 8 degrees ........ while I would have preferred maybe a 10 or 11 degrees just to take the edge off the chill, I'll settle for the predicted temperature. Its all adding up to PB territory people!

16/11/2012 at 14:48

hopefully, know i have a 1.36 in me, which would be 3 mins off the pb, just need everything to go well on the day.

16/11/2012 at 15:05

PB conditions for sure, even looks like a light breeze.  You know what this means though.......no where to hide, it is down to each of us to deliver on the day now. Don't you just hate it when that happens?

16/11/2012 at 15:09

Ahhh Bertie, you're forgetting about the 'tight hamstring' ..... you know the one that should the times not match your expectation, you suddenly remember that you had to cope with a hamstring that was playing up halfway through the race

16/11/2012 at 15:13

are there toilets on course?  How far in advance should i arrive, 1 hour?

16/11/2012 at 15:59

Damn it - i survived a week of my twins sneezing and coughing all over me only to have fallen at the last minute. I have come down with man flu just a couple of days before my first half marathon!

16/11/2012 at 16:00

Im sure I read somewhere about last years race that a couple of people were saying how because everyone is effectively funneled into 1 or 2 main roads to get to the parking it created a bit of a jam ....... so I would aim to get there 1 hour before as the bare minimum to be honest. Just bring a blanket and a book and if you get lucky and there is no jam, you can at least keep warm while killing some time.

I assume the toilets will be the standard fare (ie not enough for the amount of people there lol)

16/11/2012 at 16:06

TIP TIP - Get up early enough to have a power breakfast of porridge with maple syrup and some juice, drive to the race, think about race en-route, nerves have usual effect on disgestive tract, stop at nearest supermarket/services and use their relatively clean conveniences.  Smile while joining the shorter 'No.1s' queue at race venue.

16/11/2012 at 16:08

i was more concerned with out on the course, any loos on teh way round?

16/11/2012 at 16:22

for a bit of pre race fun, while in the toilet, with all the other people in their toilets next to you and all the people lined up in a queue outside, yell out 'Oh for the love of God, make it stop, I can't take much more of this!'

Then watch as the next guy looks rather tentative to use the toilet youve just vacated.

16/11/2012 at 16:23

Christ how long are you planning on being out there? 

From memory there aren't any race specific ones....you could always make like a bear!

16/11/2012 at 16:26

hopefully 1hr 30, never needed to go during a race before, but needed to on a few trainig runs and it means properly slowing down/stopping.

16/11/2012 at 16:30

Bertie - Make like a bear? But I don't know, does a bear s..t in the woods? Oh wait ....... I see what you did there

Unfortunately there are no woods around. If Steve needed to go im afraid we would all get a good eyeful .... still I seem to remember in the Olympics the mens cyclist in the road race would literally just pull over at the side of the road and take a leak in front of spectators ...... so if its good enough for them .......

16/11/2012 at 16:34

Assuming you are talking about No.1s then you must be drinking too much before the start.  So long as you hydrate well the night before and the morning of the race you shouldn't need to drink much immediately before or during the race.  I have got my time down to little less that your target time and I find that when I'm pushing hard I cannot drink much at all, literally just wash my mouth out.

Give it a shot as I'm sure if not having that drink right before the race means you don't have to stop then and loss in time due to hydration levels will be more than compensated for

16/11/2012 at 16:39

David, unless they've changed the area around Gosport since 2 years ago there's a pretty easily accessible park/woody area within about half a mile of the start!

I should know, I utilised it in 2010 

16/11/2012 at 16:40

David I have just checked on google maps and as luck would have a few hundreds yards north of the entrance into the airfield is a sewage works.  Between the two is a field with hedge boundaries so not only do you have privacy but no one will notice the smell.....Bonus!

16/11/2012 at 16:51

The main parking field is quite cross country feel, with plenty of places to "unleash"

And down the road is a park/woody area that any enterprising/desperate chap can utilise!

16/11/2012 at 16:55

Stevie G - Fair enough, I havent done it before, so if you say there is a forest for us, then thats cool. As for me, Im going to cut out the hassle and just run with a cathater bag. Might need to empty it as I go though to save carrying the extra weight.

101 to 120 of 189 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.