Gosport Half-Marathon

141 to 157 of 157 messages
19/11/2012 at 19:22

I saw a couple of comments saying it is for elite runners only, I totally disagree.

I think for a new runner or someone doing their first half it is friendly and welcoming, Someone wrote about the speed of everyone running was so fast! They obviously did not see me then!, I am never going to be fast but I certainly have never felt that I should not be there.

19/11/2012 at 19:37

I agree with Zoe - it was my first event at this distance, and only my 3rd event overall (10k, 10m, then this - all since March this year) so being very new at this I feel qualified to speak.

There were faster runners, but they didnt really affect what I was doing. Quite impressive to see them, though - for the brief time they were in view. The marshalls were excellent, really encouraging for plodders like me, and a real credit to the organisers.

While Zoe claims not to be fast, she aint no slouch. Not that I am holding any grudges at not being able to keep up

19/11/2012 at 21:03

Zoe, Dave. I couldn't agree more. I was gutted I didn't get a chance to meet you properly before the start of the race. We must all meet up next time we're all running together. Saying that, i did see an old friend of mine, who I didn't know had entered. Like Dave, this was the first time at this distance and I did struggle at the end. One thing for me is that I never really know what pace I'm doing until I see the end result, and I haven't tried any of those gels that a lot of folk seem to use. Zoe. You inspired me into doing this, and I'm just mulling over what to enter next!

19/11/2012 at 21:22

I agree with you all too and am disappointed I did not meet up with you all. I arrived very late so even if i had planned to i would not have done so. 

It was a perfect beginners race. I should know, I am one. It was my 3rd event with the first two being 10k's. The marshalls were excellent and friendly. The field was varied - far from being an elite race! Being a flat race made it even more perfect for beginners. I loved the fact that people were running in opposite directions as I got to see people much faster than me and people much slower than me. Both groups were inspiring. 

I would definitely do it again but it's about 80 miles from my house. Unless my wife agrees to bring the kids so we can make a day of it I am not sure I will. It was probably the best of the 3 races I have done and the other two were good!

The goody bag was AWESOME. There was plenty of water and even kids handing out sweets. The bag drop was super efficient too - i was really impressed with that. 

19/11/2012 at 22:30

The race is part of a club championship, I think, so it does attract a good number of runners who don't hang about!!! I've never heard so many talking about 1:20 and 1:25 finishing times before a race

It is, like has been said, a friendly, well organised, well marshalled race. The fact it is about as flat as you can get, it is good for chasing PB's and equally good for 1st timers/newbies to have a go at the distance.

Also got a nice medal at the end, plus chip timing and a goody bag which was actually full of goodies rather than leaflets (still working my way through all the food!)

20/11/2012 at 16:44

Its funny because I remember saying at the start that I had expected more front runners than there were so clearly I have been doing some fast races recently! It did take me 23 secs to cross the line, but I never felt anyone was in my way, more that lots were passing me (they cant have been really but it does feel like 1000s when in reality its more like 50 and I got a lot of them back later one).

We ran 1:33 so neither super fast nor slow. I'd agree that its suitable for all levels and the switch backs mean there is plenty to keep you motivated as you are going along!

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 16:44
20/11/2012 at 16:53

1:33.. not super fast? The most depressing statement I have read in a while. I'm off to burn my running shoes

20/11/2012 at 17:00

Khanivre I could not agree more, in my dreams I would get a time like that

20/11/2012 at 17:07

Well I wasnt anywhere near the front - its all relative innit My first half was around 2:10, but its a long way off what the best can do!

20/11/2012 at 17:18

How did you get from 2:10 to 1:30!!?? Any advice appreciated? I am going to introduce 1600m intervals in to my training this week and maybe alternate them with hill repeats once a week.

20/11/2012 at 17:29

4 years and a lot of long slow miles mostly

A few interval sessions on the way (but not many), a brilliant coach who stuck with me when I was struggling, but mostly lots of slow miles

20/11/2012 at 17:31

Now THAT is interesting!!! I have been running since May (well I started walk/running). I am running 4 days a week. 3 of those days are slow and 1 is fast (for me). I am going to add a 5th day of running. Are you saying that I am better off using that day to increase my volume rather than doing hill repeats or intervals? Your timing is perfect as I am planning my 5th day right now!  

20/11/2012 at 17:37

Yes for now... Have you seen this thread:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/training-for-the-right-distance/166480.html

It might help you to line up your priorities for the next 12-16 weeks and train to them. Even if you repeated what you did for Gosport you would expect to see some time improvement as your aerobic base grows

Half marathon is an endurance event so the main factor for those who are new to it is going to be avoiding the pace drop off over the last few miles.

20/11/2012 at 17:52

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I started thinking about intervals as they are a part of the runners world smartcoach programmes.

So should I cancel the perm? I figured the curls were your secret to going faster

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 17:52
20/11/2012 at 17:56

No dont cancel them permentnantly

But they need to have a purpose, and right now you'll get better returns off a tempo run (especially with a mile or two at HMP) because of the risk of injury with intervals.

If you want to do intervals make sure they are specific to your weaknesses - easiest way to do this is join a club (should be about £40 a year or less), go along and discuss with the relevant group coach your aims. You'll get your speedwork in a nice environment and meet loads of faster runners who will have loads of advice for you

20/11/2012 at 18:15

Great advice for you khanivore, patience and time should get you the faster times you want. Some are obviously naturally quick when they start, and they are the ones at the front. You have probably already found you are getting quicker with the running you have already done.

I don't tend to do specific training runs, I have longer slower runs and shorter faster runs. I started with the jog/walking 5 years ago and my 1st half marathon was 2:25, Sunday I was in the 1:33's too. At my quickest I almost cracked the 90mins (but I've not given up on that target )

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 18:15
20/11/2012 at 18:37

Wow - so you guys are getting to 1:30'ish times without specific speed training? That is hugely encouraging to me I will crack on with more miles! Thanks so much. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 157 of 157 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.