Gosport Half-Marathon

141 to 160 of 189 messages
18/11/2012 at 13:59

Likewise - nice to meet you Zoe. Thanks for the pace for the first few miles, but I couldn't keep up  Second time around the airfield was a bit gruelling for me, but that band lifted the mood.

18/11/2012 at 14:16

does that mean you would do it again? I think for a first half marathon its a great course, the marshalls are always great and I like the band!

18/11/2012 at 14:44

Agreed it was a great course, superb weather, and a great day. The final leg along the prom was fantastic, and took my mind off those mountainous gentle slopes. Marshalls were superb BTW.

Bearing in mind I am at the start of my running 'career' (at the grand old age of nevermind), I would need to select carefully what I do, but yes I would do that one again, if only to haul my old bones around the course to whoop yo' ass (is that the right way to say that ).

Does anyone here know if the person (lady, I think) who fell over entering the airfield the second time is okay. Were they able to carry on running? It sounded quite serious.........

18/11/2012 at 14:57

Great run for me too. Managed it in 2 hrs 1 minute, so I'm pleased with that. I did struggle with the last couple of miles, slowing down to a walk a couple of times. Hope everyone has had a good day! Never has a Caprisun tasted so good!

18/11/2012 at 15:04

Results are out, one thing I have noticed is your overall position time is based on the time you came through the start not the chip timing.

David M, pleased you had a good day,

I feel motivated now to put in for portsmouth half marathon in feb

18/11/2012 at 15:05

What a shame StevieG, was perfect conditions for running today, cool, sun and no wind (unless you were behind Khanivore maybe? after his pre-run curry?? lol)

Well done Zoe on the PB and WJD on your run.

My run went ok, slowed for 10,11,&12 before the final push, but still beat my 95mins target by over a minute, so happy with that!

18/11/2012 at 15:29

I enjoyed the Gosport hm today too, managed a 1.50 which is a PB for me. This was just my third HM in as many months and my pace management is crap - went off with a few of the front runners and got sucked into a first couple of quick miles under 8 min / mile pace (1st mile was 7.36!!) (even though they were all leaving me standing). Then settled into a 8.30 or so pace, so was a lot better after that.

Note to self: must calm down at the start

I've got the Grim in a couple of weeks, so need to keep training. Great support from the marshalls and the band were grear, but the airfield is pretty dull..... but I'd do it again ..

18/11/2012 at 15:44

1.55 for me, a PB (hey its only my 3rd HM) but I was hoping to do a little better ...... somehow I managed to contrive to make my Garmin completely run out of power (still trying to work out why that happened as I was sure I had charged it the day before) , so couldnt really pace myself properly. In terms of the course and the weather, you couldnt ask for more in terms of PB territory.

The airfield was slightly dullsville, but then we did get to see microlights, gliders and some bikers lol.

So I'll just have to work hard over winter for a decent time in Reading in March now .....

18/11/2012 at 17:18

I really enjoyed the run especially as it was a really gorgeous day!! Loooved the goody bag at the end!! Will be back next year!

18/11/2012 at 17:24

Well it was clearly a good day for all then as I PB'd also by over five minutes?!?!  I was after about a 84 but got 80:42 so well happy.....actually gobsmacked is more like it

Any impromptu toilet breaks then??

18/11/2012 at 18:36

Bertie C - 1:20 Age 56

David F - 1:55 Age 37

I think I may hate you

If you tell me you've done less than my 3 HM's I may cry.

18/11/2012 at 18:40
I also got a pb today. 1.46 for me. Didn't find the course the most scenic one
But got spoilt with the other 3 HM I did so far (New forest , London and Salisbury.) It wad very well organised and the Marshalls and support was fantasic. The band was brilliant too and always made me smile
18/11/2012 at 19:04

This is my sixth or seventh but do i really look that old in the photos??  More to the point which b*gger said I'm 56???  I am a vet next year granted but 56 you cheeky sh*t!  

Hmmmm may have touched a nerve there me thinks.....so to steal a line from City Slickers "I hate you more.  If hate were people, I'd be China"

18/11/2012 at 19:33

Could agree more Jindalee.. This make the GSR look like a p*** up in a brewey - but then that is a much larger race. I definetely think the club runs are much better organised. Loads of praise for the marshalls with their friendly directions, and of course the weather....Need I say more!

18/11/2012 at 19:39

Hi all

i ran it years ago, pushing my boy in his  wheelchair in 1:52, it was a superb event, only reason we've not been back is that for us its an overnight stay

18/11/2012 at 21:55

fantastic event , got a pb 96mins . 

The cake at the end was just something else, worth running just for that

18/11/2012 at 21:58
Bertie C wrote (see)

This is my sixth or seventh but do i really look that old in the photos??  More to the point which b*gger said I'm 56???  I am a vet next year granted but 56 you cheeky sh*t!  

Hmmmm may have touched a nerve there me thinks.....so to steal a line from City Slickers "I hate you more.  If hate were people, I'd be China"

haha, sorry my bad, I 'misread' a column in the results and took it for your age

Just think, if you were 12 minutes faster, you could have won that thing!

18/11/2012 at 22:05

Read my epic race report from my first half marathon! For those that can't be bothered, I smashed it! I finished the race in 01:53:07. I ran a little further than a half marathon as I ran wide around the corners on purpose to ensure I covered at least a half marathon distance. My half marathon time, according to Strava and my Garmin, is 01:52:53. Way faster than I expected.

The weather was amazing. The marshals were brilliant. The goody bag was tasty

http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2012/11/18/gosport-half-marathon/

18/11/2012 at 22:30
Khanivore wrote (see)

Read my epic race report from my first half marathon!

http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2012/11/18/gosport-half-marathon/

good work ......  I think youre a bit of nutter to run deliberately wide on the course ...... the race distance is supposed to be the racing line as far as I know.

I agree with your comment that forgetting to lubricate is a bad thing ....... happened to me once ..... totally non running related though and not really for this forum to be honest.

18/11/2012 at 22:34
David haha that made me chuckle.

At Croydon 10K I ran too tight to the corners. This meant my distance was just shy of 10k and strava did not recognise my PB. I just wanted to avoid that.
141 to 160 of 189 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.