Grand Union Canal Half Marathon

21 to 40 of 136 messages
05/10/2007 at 15:50

Hi Muttley!  That's a shame, would be good to see you there.  Could you take a train from Reading to West Drayton, then jog to the start (1.5 miles).  Then take a train from Watford to reading - take around 1hr 50mins I think ..... any good?

Claire

05/10/2007 at 16:31
It's the early start that does for us Claire.  I'm coming from Surbiton and can just about make it on the first train out but I can see Reading would be just that bit too far.
05/10/2007 at 20:55

Actually, taking a closer look it might be feasible. Train to W Drayton is no prob, but the return journey is. According to the tube website it'll be three or four changes, part tube and part bus and journey time about 90 minutes. That'll mean a total of 2 hrs to Reading, and a multitude of tickets.

*Two minutes later*

The trainline.com website gives a reasonable service from Watford Junction to Euston and thence to Paddington and onwards. Multimap says Watford Jn is about a mile from the finish.

You're such a smooth talker Claire I'll have to think about the logistics but it suddenly looks much more do-able.

06/10/2007 at 12:51

I do my best

Hope it works out and we see you there!

TCP
09/10/2007 at 21:13
I'm in.  Its perfectly timed as part of my rehab training plan.  18 months out, finally got back to running and did the GNR last week.  Now to get my times back to somewhere near what I was doing 2 years ago.
11/10/2007 at 08:02
Why does it say 'Oxford' in the RW blurb at the top of the page?
11/10/2007 at 08:32
My guess is someone at RW only knows of one Cowley being the one near Oxford!
11/10/2007 at 09:21

Hmmm - I will mention it to RW - it is definitely NOT Oxford!  It is Uxbridge ......

Claire

13/10/2007 at 09:36

They probably thought it was Oxbridge. Posh lot they are at RW towers ...

I'm in. Just entered online. It'll make for a long day, but why not. This is what our weekends are for. 

15/10/2007 at 17:08
Hi Chelsea Plodder, Just noticed this, looks like we are doing a similar schedule!, not run much canal before, i was only going to do Bedford Half pre Xmas, but i think i will have a crack at this as well as this will be quite scenic, even in November!!.
TCP
15/10/2007 at 17:29

Hi Muttley.  Yeah, this one looked interesting and I haven't run around there before.

I'm trying to do a race a month and get back into some sort of shape (well, less of a round shape).  Oct - Croydon 10k, Nov - Canal, Dec - Bedford, Jan - ??? Not sure yet and Feb - Meon Valley Plod.

16/10/2007 at 13:49

Thinking of entering, but concerned about my slow time and being the last to cross the finish line.  I appreciate someone has to be last, but my fragile ego won't stand it!!

Anyone else running about 2.20?

FatBoyRunning

TCP
16/10/2007 at 15:32

I doubt very much 2:20 will be last DM2.  I just looked at last years results for the Bedford Half Marathon as an example and a bunch of people came in at around 2:20.  The last person to finish was at 3:01:52 so nothing to worry about especially as Bedford is underlating and I imagine the Cancal path is flat as a flat thing.

My first half was Tunbridge Wells about 6 years ago.  I did it in 3:35 and got beaten by an 80 year old speed walker but I still wasn't last.

17/10/2007 at 13:29

Is the organiser around?  

I'm considering this one, but my times have been around 3.15 so far (though on courses with some hills).  Is there going to be a cut off?  With it being a small field I don't know if they'll be able to cater for slow folks like me.

18/10/2007 at 10:18

Hi there,

We have no problem at all with you entering the race - you are very welcome .

See you there .......

RKM
18/10/2007 at 21:20

Claire, I'd really like to do this as it sounds like a lovely race, just wondered if the race entry info pack would contain a map of both where the start and finish are? If someone came to meet me at the end would it be easy to find if they went to the park from watford underground station?

18/10/2007 at 22:02

Hi Rosa,

Glad to hear you're thinking of joining us.  We certainly will be sending out maps of the start and finish in the packs.  The Watford Metropolitan underground is right next to Cassiobury Park and if your friend went into the park, I am sure it would be quite apparent where the finish is (lots of tape around!).  We are aiming to finish quite close to the cafe there so that you folks can easily get tea/coffee/great big slices of cake, etc!!  (and me too ..... well I will have worked fairly hard too ......)

Claire

RKM
19/10/2007 at 06:17
Excellent, thanks Claire
19/10/2007 at 16:59
Thanks!  It does sound good... but I've just done one half, so I'm going to leave it a bit and see how recovery goes before making a decision.  Hopefully I'll be there though!
19/10/2007 at 17:08
Out of interest, how many entries so far? 
21 to 40 of 136 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.