Great British Relay World Record Attempt

GPS tracked run attempting to break the longest relay world record

1 to 20 of 172 messages
10/03/2013 at 23:13

Like a Terminator upgrade, it looks like Barry the Baton has evolved into the T3000 GPS version!

www.greatbritishrelay.com

I quite fancy a world record to go along with my Sports Relief medal!

Looks like fun

11/03/2013 at 08:20

I wonder what record they are trying to break, bearing in mind that the real relay last year was 8000miles rather than 7000K.

http://endurancelife.com/RealRelay/

11/03/2013 at 12:12

Yay Endurance Life-I did two legs of that-it was fantastic.  Unfortunately the Guinness Book of Records didn't look kindly on people sitting on planes and taking boats.

On the Great british Relay site they say "continuous relay" and they've even mapped out the stages!

Current continuous relay record is 5640km held in Ireland, prior to that the Gillette team held it in Eastern Europe

11/03/2013 at 12:18
11/03/2013 at 12:28

594 stages at £30 a pop, nice.

11/03/2013 at 13:54

I think it sounds great, I have a team of four so the cost per runner comes down to £7.50 each which for a world record and a nice tech shirt is very reasonable. This must have taken a lot of planning so let's support this instead of nit-picking

11/03/2013 at 14:44

A pox 'pon it for omitting the Midlands entirely.

23/03/2013 at 12:26

I've signed up, I think it'd be cool to be a world record holder. Only downside is that my nearest leg begins at 2.25am on a Saturday night. Could be some unwanted spectator interaction

27/03/2013 at 08:39

I've signed up for it, but there seem to be quite a lot of negative comments about it, some of which are quite legitimate. What happens if not all the stages are taken? Do we get our money back? No health and safety etc, apparently some routes are not safe to run middle of the night?? etc etc

27/03/2013 at 11:27

Have you raised these concerns with the organiser, they're very helpful. I'm signed up for a night run and am not worried as we're a group of 4 and all have head torches and high viz clothing. Have you signed up for a route you're not familiar with, or one at night? If you have my advice would be to reccie it and get a team together.

Pudge    pirate
27/03/2013 at 11:40

I was intruiged by this and am still wavering on entering.  However, it seems that 85% of the route still has no takers (i.e. almost all of Wales and Scotland is still up for grabs).  It's only two months away, so I would have expected more people to have signed up by now.

Having said that, I'd probably be whinging if all the places had been taken at this point, so there's just no pleasing me.

27/03/2013 at 11:56

Do it, it'll be fun and some-one has to set the ball rolling! It's two months away so there's plenty of time for it to fill and if we all spread the word it'll fill faster. Scotland has snow issues at the moment so maybe they can't sign up

27/03/2013 at 16:32

I want to do it, but the legs in my area are all in the middle of the night. I am normally in bed by 9:30 not sure I could either stay awake/get up feeling fresh enough to run. What to do???

30/03/2013 at 21:25

I entered today and am looking forward to it already. I will hopefully be getting friends involved and will make a big deal out of it. I wanna be a Record Breaker!!!

02/04/2013 at 01:22

I have just signed up for my local welsh leg. If places are difficult to fill, I would consider an additional night run to fill a difficult place.....

What concerns me is the lack of places already taken...... I will have to try lobbying the local running clubs to fill the places!

It would be a great shame if it fails to get off the ground due to lack of takers - we should all do our best to rally support!

03/04/2013 at 17:32

Signed up for Teignmouth to Dawlish leg. It is beginning to fill in nicely. Great chance to do something different. As others have said £7.50, not exactly expensive if you get a team together. 

07/04/2013 at 17:04

I'm with you Clive. Lobby as many as you can so that this really great event smashes the record hands down. We need to maintain that Olympics 'feel-good factor'. at £7.50 each for a team of four it's a bargain. Just ordered a red tshirt to really stand out

07/04/2013 at 18:50

I have just entered, but does anyone know what happens if it doesn't fill or if you get an injury and can't run. I can't find any info about this on the site?

08/04/2013 at 15:36

I think they recommend a team of 4 so that if one is sick/injured there is someone to do the stage. It makes it more fun this way

09/04/2013 at 18:36

I'm the organiser and WOW! What a great response we've had so far. Thank you to everyone.

@Vicky French 2 we're asking people to build teams to address exactly your questions.

I'm prepared to fill in 30-40KM a day if it doesn't fill but I think it will fill up-its an event like no other and if you get a team of four it's only £7.50 with a world record attempt too! 

1 to 20 of 172 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.