Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

New route but same magical race!!

201 to 220 of 556 messages
20/09/2008 at 20:04
Great - thanks very much Millsy. Doesn't sound like there'll be a problem at all then.
21/09/2008 at 15:14

Hi Graham, if the last two years are anything to go by, then this years race should be a good un.

Nice ploddy 6 miler for me this morning. I did consider going a couple of miles longer, to try and make up for the last couple of weeks but decided I would probably be asking for trouble so I thought best not really. Anyway, I had a good run considering my stinking cold. Not a bad day either.

Cant believe its only four weeks to go!

21/09/2008 at 16:35
Cheers Morgs - would have been out myself today but have a twingy right knee. Probably my fault for doing a hard run on Thursday only a few days after the Jelly Run 10-miler last Sunday. I'm running with my step-daughter who's also out of action, with a bad ankle. Fingers crossed - still plenty of time.
Edited: 21/09/2008 at 16:35
22/09/2008 at 12:50
Woohoo! Number arrived this morning, 988, so seems to be filling up nicely. I managed to get out running at the weekend as my glutes felt a bit better, didn't do any serious distance but feeling confident injury won't prevent me from training.
22/09/2008 at 13:10

Hi All! 

I signed up to this one a few months back...really looking forward to it.  Will be my first Half Marathon and I can't wait!!    Will go back over some of the pages of this thread and pick up some hints and tips from you experienced lot i think...

25/09/2008 at 14:19

"You experienced lot" - I like that - thanks Mynx!

I've never really thought of myself as being experienced before - in any respect - not just in running terms!! But I guess whilst my head still tells me I'm youthful and energetic, sadly the old body says otherwise and every now and again it gives me a stark reality check!! (If I'm honest, I think I prefer to listen to what my head tells me!!)

Having had another of my infamous "lay-offs" from running, with four weeks to go before the race I thought best get out and do a bit!! Went out t'other night and did a nice slow 4.5 miles and once I'd got into my ploddy stride, found I really enjoyed it. Pleased with how it went and very much like Morgs, I considered going a bit further before realising that discretion was the better part.....Chuffed with recovery too - a bit stiff and sore but nothing too excessive and nowhere near as much as I had anticipated!

Again, giving myself the positive spin (listening to head rather than creaking joints), I'm busy telling myself that I've done 1/3 of the distance of the half mara on my first time out for a wee while! Got to be good - hasn't it?

25/09/2008 at 19:00

'Experienced' isnt really a word I'd readily use to describe myself either Mynx...but it will do!

Boycs...I like your style, very positive indeed. Well done!

I on the other hand am having a complete mare. My stinking cold that came out with a vengeance last weekend has appeared to move itself downward rather than out which isnt good. My training has gone completely pear shaped. I havent ran since Sunday, and my longest run to date in prep for this one has been 10 miles, and that was 4 weeks ago! I think I'm doomed!!!

25/09/2008 at 19:52
Blimey. The GCR curse has really struck this year. Lots of positive thinking will get us all across the line, I'm sure.
25/09/2008 at 22:34

If anyone is interested I've traced the map of the route on MapMyRun and therefore you can see the topography of the course and where the hills are. By the look of it there's the same hill coming out of the park at the 12 mile marker as last year.

Here's the link: http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/carlisle/910414929511

Apologies that my tracing is not perfect and I've lost .16 of a mile somewhere. 

Really pleased the start has changed as it was a bit narrow and cramped last year. The finish at the track is brilliant.

25/09/2008 at 22:36
Meant to say when you open the map - click on the 'Show Elevation' box in the top right corner of the map to see the hills
25/09/2008 at 23:13

That's fantastic!

26/09/2008 at 13:07

NotCat, there is MapMyRun course map shown on the updated GCR site. On yours, you missed off the dog-leg around mile 9.

Look under Information in the side menu. The map comes up as embedded in the page but a button of the screen allows you to open up the map in full screen mode.  Thanks to MikeJ for providing the information to allow it to be plotted.

26/09/2008 at 13:10

Oh mercy me! That's certainly undulating!!!! Thanks NotCat for doing that for us.

I don't like the look of that stretch between 3 - 6.5 miles in the slightest!! From 7 to 11 it looks much kinder to tired legs but then there it is again - that swine of an incline at 11.5 miles - there's just no escaping that is there?

To modify a phrase of the former England team manager, Graham Taylor, "Do I not like hills!!"

Aside from the fact that this will now give me nightmares until race day, it does give us all a good idea of the geography of the course and which sections are going to need a bit more work and those where you might have a chance for some recovery and a quick blow!!

Note to self - include some hills in training runs for the next few weeks to lessen the shock on race day!

26/09/2008 at 18:51

That gradient profile does look pretty horrendous at first sight but the maximum elevation seems to be about 160 feet above the start as far as i can tell. That's not so bad is it?

I don't know the course but do realise it's tougher than the GNR for instance. I'd be interested to see a gradient profile of that to compare.

26/09/2008 at 19:18
Jeez, what has Mike gone and done! I wish I hadnt looked at the gradient thingy!  Sometimes I think 'ignorance is bliss'. Lordy!!
26/09/2008 at 22:07

Morgs - Stop being a girl!!

I'm sure them thar hill ain't that bad.

Just for you I'll try to get out and do most of the route in the next couple of weeks and then really frighten you...........................sorry, I mean reassure you

27/09/2008 at 15:39

But I am a girl!

"Just for you I'll try to get out and do most of the route in the next couple of weeks and then really frighten you...........................sorry, I mean reassure you "

Please do

28/09/2008 at 15:27

Afternoon folks!

Hope a good weekend is being had by all

After all the dramas I have had going on over the last few weeks, I am feeling loads better about this race after my jaunt out this morning. I did 11 miles at a nice ploddy 10:32 pace. Last mile was hard, but then again, isnt the last mile always like that! I definitely think there is still 13.1 miles in me somewhere. Whether or not a pb is on the cards? We shall see

28/09/2008 at 16:19
I'm going well myself but unfortunately it's not looking too good for my step-daughter running partner. She picked up an ankle injury a couple of weeks ago doing the Hexham 10-mile Jelly Run and it's not healing too quickly. She'd rested it completely and it felt OK walking on it but we've just tried a very short slow run to try it out and she had to stop in the warm up. So frustrating.
28/09/2008 at 17:01
Graham, there are still a couple of weeks to go. If she can rest it as much as possible and do the RICE thing, fingers crossed she will be ok. I would keep off it as much as possible and then see how it is by the end of this week.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.