Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

New route but same magical race!!

481 to 500 of 556 messages
20/10/2008 at 20:36

SM - Very well done on your PB - and what a course on which to do your best!!

My lifetime PB is also 1:52, set in Chester in 1994!! The nearest I've got to it since was again at Chester in 2005 but that was 1:58 and I've been getting progressively slower ever since! But as you say - "there is hope for us all". In answer to your question, my time yesterday was 2:42, so I now have a 50 minute span between my PB & my PW!! Perhaps with some proper training and shedding a few pounds, I can get back to the times I was recording at the GCR of 05 &06 which was around 2:05 - you never know??

Morph - thanks for the note - I'll drop you a line on the link!

And Millsy, what a nice thing to say! SM was right - you are a nice lad (but don't tell anyone I said so!)

I have to be completely honest and say that as I was plodding my way round yesterday, especially during the first half of the race, I was thinking...not much fun...bloomin hills...or something very similar!! And it did cross my mind at one stage that if it's the same route next year that I might give it a miss....but I'd have to have a heart of stone to disregard such an impassioned plea as that, wouldn't I?

I dare say I'll be back again next year for another stab at the GCR! After all, it is my favourite race so how can I snub it? What with that and folk like Millsy and Mick amongst others who feel almost like extended relatives now after this long! And besides, I have to break this nasty habit I've developed of recording ever increasing times - what better place to do it than at Carlisle next year.

Worryingly....in the space of 2 paragraphs, I think I've just committed myself to the return journey to Carlisle for GCR 09!! But to tweak the phrase from the L'Oreal advert....."it'll be worth it".

20/10/2008 at 21:26

First off, many thanks to the organisers and volunteers - you did a fantastic job. I combined the race with a short break with the wife and kids. We arrived thursday and stayed in a fine local establishment for 3 nights. Did the Hadrians wall stuff, the Castle, Tullies museum, some shopping, a film and generally had a great time. This was only my second half marathon and looking back now I'm really pleased with the way I tackled what I thought was a pretty tough course, coming home in 1:38, knocking 13 mins off my previous HM time. The atmosphere was great, people applauding and encouraging all along the route - the friendliest race I've done yet. It waschallenging, but enjoyably so - I'll be back next year.

20/10/2008 at 21:34

Someone mentioned photos earlier.  The local rag have a selection on their website, and this is my favourite

http://www.news-and-star.co.uk/news/1.257143?resourceView=slideshow&index=14#slideshow

Who is that foxy chick on the right hand side?

(If the link doesn't work then you'll need to go on the News and Star website, following the links to the slideshow and hunt down picture number 15)

20/10/2008 at 21:35

Wahaay!  Just tried it, and the link works.

i will await feedback in due course

20/10/2008 at 21:35

My thanks to the organisers, again. It was a smoothly run (!) event and a great route (though I must admit I selected this route thinking that it would be less hilly!).

I wasn't sure about doing this race given that I'd only just done my first half marathon at the GNR 2 weeks earlier. Still, i managed to take 5 mins off that time to get 2:21:24. The time really surprised me when the results went up as I actually walked this time whereas I hadn't 2 weeks earlier. Also, I think I was also runnig with a sprained or broken toe - the ibuprofen wore off at the 4 mile mark and I can't really walk on the ball of my foot today. Combined with my inability to walk downstairs without looking like a grimacing robot, I start to wonder why I do these things to myself...

So, now to decide which race comes next!

21/10/2008 at 09:14

Boycs, I think you'll find that you are now correctly listed on the results. If not drop me a line via the WT website.

XB
21/10/2008 at 10:08
I see someone managed to get a photo of the two most handsome men in the race. Have a look here.
21/10/2008 at 10:25
Typical - the only one with me on is queuing for the toilets. Still, I did seem to spend as much time there as anywhere else that day....
21/10/2008 at 12:45
Well spotted XB.
Weren`t they lucky to catch us both on the same shot?
Two fine athletes doing what they do best!...hee hee hee!
(good job they dint get one of us at the end)
XB
21/10/2008 at 14:15

I guess he had it on a super fast shutter speed too.

21/10/2008 at 18:02
Goes without saying mate............goes without saying.

BTW Boycs you seem like a fine fellow to me and possibly like myself not exactly one of the younger ones (hee hee hee!)

I will look forward to seeing you all next year if not before... God willing
21/10/2008 at 18:07

Morph - thanks for making your adjustment - I feel more my normal self again now! It was fun being in touch with my feminine side....even if only for 24 hours! What a difference an ending to a name makes!!

Had a look at Millsy's link to News & Star photos and XB's link to BBC photos - thankfully there's not one image of me! Photographers must have got fed up waiting for me to come past the start....let alone the finish!! Can't say I blame them!!

I'm afraid I had a stark reality check last night....in that for most of yesterday, I felt pretty good....some slight stiffness but nothing compared to what I'd expected after so long a spell of inactivity. Then last night I started to seize up and and this morning came the major stiffness! All in a good cause I guess!! 

21/10/2008 at 18:13

Sorry SM - looks like a crossed post there!

That's very kind of you - and you're quite right about youth not exactly being on my side so much these days! I was sorry not to have had the pleasure of a meet this year but will view it as a pleasure deferred for next time!

21/10/2008 at 18:54

Millsy, what can I say! 'Foxy chick'????  I think you need to go to Specsavers lol!

Still feeling it a bit today. Not quite as stiff as yesterday though so I'm not complaining.

21/10/2008 at 19:00
SM - Looks more like an example of still life rather than an action shot.  You look even slower on there than you did on the day
21/10/2008 at 19:32
21/10/2008 at 19:56

I think it is Millsy. Well spotted.

I wonder what the collective term for 'GCR thread forumites' is  

21/10/2008 at 20:02
Well it wouldn't be a 'gathering' would it?
21/10/2008 at 22:52
MtM looks great in that shot (like he`d just heard the pub was closing)...hee hee!

I always look bloody slow in photos Millsy but don`t be fooled by that.
Anywayz you should give me a break cos it`s my birthday tomorrow........getting near the end of my category now
21/10/2008 at 23:05

Are you leaving not so subtle hints on every bliddy thread you can find?

Okay, let me be the first to say, and this is from the heart of my bottom;

Happy Birthday to you (for tomorow) 

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to the fifth last finisher in a Sunday stroll in Yorkshire

Happy Birthday to you..........................

See, I'm all heart!!

Have a good one SM!!!!!!!!!

481 to 500 of 556 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.