Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

New route but same magical race!!

501 to 520 of 556 messages
22/10/2008 at 23:21

First chance to check in since Sunday. Brilliant race. Finished in 2:02 which was 10 mins of previous HM and a wacking 22mins of GNR last year so well chuffed. Am hoping to break the 2hr mark with the next one and even though I was aiming for 2:05 on Sunday I was just close enough to the 2hrs to be disappointed.

Seems to be a lot of moaning about the hills. My impression was that there were no big killers but there was a hell of a lot of them!! All the monsters I have run up in training stood me in good stead so it was enough to be a challenge but no more.

Loved the fact that there was plenty of support through the villages. Not as sure about that track finish. After 13 miles the finish line seemed pointlessly too far round the flipping thing...I'd been dreaming about a fantastic olympic-style sprint finish but as it is I chuffed past one guy and didn't even have the energy to respond when he shouted 'well done' to me.

OH was mortified by his lack of training. His longest pre-race run was 7 miles and he'd clocked only 60 miles since Edinburgh Mara in May (av 10miles per month!) Apparently he burned out about 9 miles and walked the hill out of the park. Still came home in 1:45...17 mins before me!!! Aaarrgh. Where is the lesson in that?

Bit of post-race blues now. Need to do my usual trick and apply for more races otherwise I have no incentive to go out running. On the whole the legs have been ok though and only a bit sluggish on todays 3 miler.

Each successive HM has less euphoria than the 1st but got a definite feeling of satisfaction at a job well done.

Have chuckled a lot at the banter on this thread and I'll be keeping an eye out for some of the names cropping up elsewhere.

23/10/2008 at 01:22
I agree about the track bit RR.
I thought it was all over then.......................a bit more.
23/10/2008 at 09:37
I'm not sure about the track thing, it was a lovely feeling and it gave the supporters plenty of room to cheer there loved ones home. I was worried when my Garmin told me that I'd completed a half marathon but there was still over 100 yards to go. Thankfully I'd added in some 'buffer' time for such events otherwise I'd have missed my target time. Anyone else measure it?
23/10/2008 at 17:07

Entry fee - £20

Night at a hotel - £50

Lap of honour in front of a cheering crowd - priceless

23/10/2008 at 17:09
Even if they were cheering the grey haired 70+ runner who beat me in the sprint!
23/10/2008 at 18:30
I had to push the speed before the stadium as I predicted finishing line photos and the bloke in the nun's habit was just behind me...would have tainted the photo somewhat...
23/10/2008 at 22:41
Miami - I didn't realise that SM and you finished so close together.  Bad luck that he just beat you, but I'm sure you'll get him next time
24/10/2008 at 07:13
In his dreamz.
24/10/2008 at 09:06

My knee still hasn’t righted itself. Has been hurting progressively less but when I tried to go for an easy jog last night I had to abandon after about half a mile. In two minds whether a trip to the physio may be in order? I have a 10K the Sunday after next- so want to be fighting fit by then.

24/10/2008 at 09:14
I wouldn't hang about Luke, get yourself to a good physio and get it sorted. Good luck with it and hope you're ok for your 10K.
24/10/2008 at 13:44
Cheers GrahamIf its not better by Monday I'm going to book myself an appointment. This was my first half marathon and I think I just pushed myself a bit too hard (even though I was pleased with my time)I have people sponsoring me for the 10k so really don't want to pull out..
25/10/2008 at 21:07

Millsy, I would have been disheartened but I've not been well. I''ll nail him next time, and my PB is WAAAY better than his, (at least my HM time), mind you he does OK for an elderly gent.

Who'd have thought the litlle fella would get the fastest time amongst us fine athletes!

25/10/2008 at 22:02

Not me that's for sure!

Mind you his training schedule must be fantastic.  Took him nearly two days to do the Yorkshireman but he's planning to beat 3.31 at Windy next year.  I wonder if he means days.  If not then he better watch out for the dope testers.

25/10/2008 at 22:04
 (Once he's thought of something 'witty' to say about dope testers he'll be on here - just you watch)
26/10/2008 at 21:45

Tick, tock, tick, tock.........

You've killed it Millsy

28/10/2008 at 19:22

No, no, no.

More likely that SM has found his intellectual match at last!

Pity really 'cos I had some hot gossip for the old fellow.

28/10/2008 at 19:24
Care to share Millsy?
28/10/2008 at 19:47
Nope.
28/10/2008 at 19:57
Ok then.
28/10/2008 at 21:03

(You're not supposed to accept defeat so easilly )

Let's just say that once SM returns I will treat you to the next instalment of 'The Millsy Injury Chronicles'.  It's a very sad tale so you'll need to gird your loins!

501 to 520 of 556 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.