Great Langdale full and 1/2 marathon

Sun 8th Sept

10 messages
28/08/2002 at 10:18
Right, who else is up for this spectacular but hilly race?
It was a toss-up between this and the Lancaster 1/2 and I've decided on this one, my reasoning going something like this:
Upside: Because I train a lot on hills I'll have a relative advantage over the rest of the field.
Downside: the rest of the field most likely consists of die-hards from the local fell running clubs.
The course record for the full and half is 2.51/1.13 so that gives you some idea of what it's like.
Go on, you know you want a weekend in the Lakes!
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
28/08/2002 at 13:01
Sorry LL but I am going to Scotland that weekend for the Great Scottish Run a very flat 13.1 miles.
28/08/2002 at 15:28
Is it likely to be possible to get an entry on the day? According to the event diary the entry limit is only 500. It's tempting though - having lived in the Lakes for a year I'm really finding it hard to adjust to 'concrete jungle' running.
28/08/2002 at 16:24
Slowboy, entries are possible on the day if there are spare places; the details specify a limit of 500, but don't know how popular it is.
It's only £8 and that includes a T-shirt, and as far away from a concrete jungle as can be imagined.

SB, sorry you can't make it when you're in the UK. I was quite tempted by the Great Scottish Run but it'd be a long day out so...Are you seeing Drew there?
28/08/2002 at 17:02
A bit too far for me to travel Laura. Good luck though!
30/08/2002 at 09:23
OK LL, I'm convinced, I've posted an entry form.

From what I remember of the terrain around Langdale I guess a pb isn't on the cards?? ;)
31/08/2002 at 15:35
Laura, I promise to come and eat your dust in a race in the Lake District sometime. Meanwhile, I shall be thinking of you scampering up and down the hills while I potter round a nice flat 5-mile race round the roads near Aldridge on the same day before picking up Kevin the Teenager, who will be doing her first 2-mile fun run.
31/08/2002 at 19:02
Good stuff Slowboy, I'll post my race number when I get it. PB - not likely!

Something weird is happening - several of my replies haven't registered even though I'm sure I hit the submit button. Could be my alter ego saying : 'what the hell are you doing wasting time on here when you should be filling in your self-assessment form'.

Vrap, please do. Coniston 14 is a great race (March), and another good place for a weekend in the Lakes. I'll be promoting it nearer the time on the forum.
01/09/2002 at 06:45
Got my race number - 273, and a sheet of strangest race details I've ever seen, 2 sides of handwritten notes along the lines of 'Cry God for Harry! Langdale, and Saint Rod' (Henry V Act 3 Scene 1.1).'

02/09/2002 at 19:03
Hmm, yes, I suspect the organiser is either;

- an english teacher
- an amateur thespian
- barking mad

or possibly all three. Excellent! Should make for an amusing day.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.