Great North Run 2009

2008 is over, who's up for doing it all again?

201 to 220 of 20,953 messages
06/10/2008 at 17:51
7 degrees where? In someone's fridge?
06/10/2008 at 17:51

How could you think such a thing?

06/10/2008 at 17:54

Forgot to mention - Anyone seen the Journal`s Great North Run 2008 section ??  I`m in the photo on the front - Top Centre - Green top with shades....489. Nearly spilt my coffee in my full engish, eat as much as you like, breakfast this morning when I saw that.

Anyone know what time Scooby doo (bottom left) finished in? If he finished before me please say "sorry, no idea"    (I did 1.57)

06/10/2008 at 17:57
I don't know but I had a race with a banana for a short while. I won!!!
06/10/2008 at 17:57

hiya  every one ,  seems like most of you are recovering well   after yesterday,      i feel like i some one has beat the back of me legs with  a stick,    but you know what i wish iit was yesterday all over again,   what a fab day,  and thats what its all about ,    thank to shielsy too for organising last nights meal.  great to get to know you all a bit better ,    

FLABBY : fantastic time mate

06/10/2008 at 18:00

Hey guys

Thanyou all for making me feel so welcome yesterday and also thanks for the night out too I had a fab time.

If any of you fancy donating to the charity I ran for the best way to do it is by going on line to www.justgiving.com/richardmsmith.

The muscles ar holding up fine but the foot is killing me, had it x-rayed at the hospital and nothing broken but they think ive sprained the muscles in the foot so im on pain killers.

Once again guys I had a great time and it was great to meet you all.

Going to enter for next years when the ballot opens too as is MOTR I think if I can convince her.

Anyone wants to look me up you can find me through MOTR's facebook page.

06/10/2008 at 18:02

Hey all! Well done everyone for some great running yesterday. I feel like my legs are broken today! Although I have just sat 6 hours in the car to get home which doesn't help I'm sure.

Big question is, would I do it again and the answer is defintely yes! But this time, I'm going to be a lot better prepared!

Hope everyone is well. 

06/10/2008 at 18:04
Well done to all for 2008 GNR.  I started in Zone C. Got there very early so enjoyed being relaxed whihc helped. Beautiful day. Running it last year helped me make the most of my 2008.  First mile was 7m 45...managed a PB of 1hour 38 which I was shocked at.  3 minutes quicker than last year.  Only down side for me was the guy who barged past me around the 10 mile mark and swore at me. 
06/10/2008 at 18:06

Hi, R.S.P.T.

Good to met you last night.

Look after that foot.

06/10/2008 at 18:08

Hi, Anson - glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure your legs will be OK in a day or two.

Cracking effort, David. I suppose in a crowd of 40,000 or so, there are bound to be a few @rseholes - shame you had to get so close to one.

06/10/2008 at 18:10

"Mother - how did you feel seeing TWO vicki thompson's yesterday? "

One very proud 'mother'

I applaude all of you who took part in the race yesterday . Well done everyone

06/10/2008 at 18:10
Hey Anson - I missed saying hello to you at the ballons  I`m catching with all the posts & unpacking here but good effort with your race all things considered - same time next year??? 
06/10/2008 at 18:12

Hi everyone

This is my first post, hope you don't mind me joining this thread. I started running this year and have recently joined a local running club. When started running was never going to do a race but really want to now! Would really like to enter the Great North Run next year, how do I go about it ?? Any advice for a complete beginner?? Thanks Jo x 

06/10/2008 at 18:16

Hi Mr K - I didn't hang along for very long at the balloons, was feeling a bit shy and overwhelmed by the day so just headed off to my pen to get prepared! Was nice to put a few faces to names though and in hindsight wished I'd stayed longer but there's always next year!

06/10/2008 at 18:17
Mr K - I was next to Scooby Doo in the warm up - quite surreal doing aerobic warm up along side a man dressed as a giant dog! He was a very friendly guy. He then went further forward in the pen (Zone B) and I stayed at back of Pen as not keen on being too tightly packed in. I then ran past Scooby at the top of that incline just after Tyne Bridge. I am sure he didnt come past me again. I did 1:55:41 so unless he did between 1:56 & 1:57 it is probabyl safe to say you beat him!
Edited: 06/10/2008 at 18:19
06/10/2008 at 18:19

Jo

Welcome to the thread.

GNR is done on a ballot basis, but the ballot isn't open yet. If my memory serves me correctly it's the first part of the year it opens.

If you go to the Great Run website and you can ask them to send you a reminder email to register for the ballot.

Although don't wait until GNR to do some races. Get some other ones under you hat. It's the best part of running IMO.

06/10/2008 at 18:23

Welcome Jo Hamblett. As well as the GNR official ballott there is also usually a ballott in the Telegraph as well as signing up for a charity place. The best thing to do is go on the Great run wbesite and sign up for there reminder service and they will send you an email when the ballott opens. also keep logging on here. From memory I htink the ballott opens around Jan/Feb time?

Vixx - LOL - I agree, where on earth were they measuring that temp. I felt a bit overheated in first few miles and have the red face and panda eyes to prove it this morning!

Edited: 06/10/2008 at 18:25
06/10/2008 at 18:23

Evening folks!

I've just got back from being Internet-less since last Friday and this thread is off and running already (no pun intended!)

Although I didn't actually run yesterday I've written a blog of my GNR weekend with a few piccies. Despite not running I had a great weekend and it was lovely to meet up with old and new friends.

I hope you are all recovering nicely and not aching too much (R.S.P.T. especially )

I'll definitely be there next year, hopefully in my running gear next time!

Hi Jo and welcome to the thread, the best advice I would give would be to get decent trainers and have your gait analysed, Build up slowly and ask on here if you want to know anything. We do occasionally talk about running!

Edited: 06/10/2008 at 18:27
06/10/2008 at 18:26
WTS - The link takes me to the 2008 thread and I can't find the blog. Am I being a little slow in the head?
06/10/2008 at 18:28

Hi SM

I just realised it was the wrong link

It should work now (fingers crossed!) 

201 to 220 of 20,953 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.