Great North Run 2009

2008 is over, who's up for doing it all again?

21 to 40 of 20,953 messages
05/10/2008 at 17:43
hehehe  I'm not bothered in the slightest - looking forward to 40 when I hit the next category
05/10/2008 at 17:46
I know what you mean - I'm 60 on the 15th. Still no chance of winning anything in my age category though. Too many really quick old'uns. I only just missed best over-60 in the Kielder 10k by being a few weeks too young recently though. A field of only 80-ish helped! Well done for today.
Edited: 05/10/2008 at 17:47
05/10/2008 at 17:51

Cheers

Kielder is a bit of a killer - 9k straight up then 1k stright down at breakneck speed - you were lucky to survive never mind win anything  

Yeah though, lots of really good local vets about these days  

05/10/2008 at 18:07

Evening- quick check in before I get ready for the pub.

Well done on the results Vicki, Shielsy, Tino, SJ and anyone I have forgotten. Just read my GNR times and I was on for 1:50 up to mile 10 I think and then really slowed down. Think it was Shielsy who says her legs went to jelly or it was like treacle or summink - same for me which will be my lack of LSRs. Mentally I felt okay, breathing wise no bother but aches in legs and especially the bad pain in these damn toes and feet was unbearable towards the end.

Am so glad I did it. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. Roll on 2009 GNR! (not forgetting all those races - including Midnight Sun Marathon - eek! in between).

Today made me realise how far away I must be from where I was when I was running 1:39 and did the marathon. I expect the extra weight (and less specific training) is a big part of that so I'm not gonna be fussed - just pleased with my time - see, PMT - I found it! Good news is I have just been on scales and am my GNR target weight (okay, after the run, but you can let me off that one!).

Enjoy your night out those who are going and have a bevvy or two on me.

See you all later and am looking forward to hearing from the travellers how they got on.

05/10/2008 at 18:14
Richmond 10k fortnight today and Brampton (10k?) in November to look forward to - bring em on!
Edited: 05/10/2008 at 18:14
05/10/2008 at 18:29
Hello! Well done on today, just posted in 2008, but glad to see 09 up here already! x
05/10/2008 at 19:36
will we be seeing you in 2009 anson ???
05/10/2008 at 20:10

Well done everyone !!!   (espesh my daughter .......I am well proud of you ! )

Count me in (hopefully....) for next year

I done my bit on the sidelines at Heworth roundabout shouting encouragement to all the 'names on the t-shirts' I could find (it's truly amazing how many folk don't put their name on)

It was just like a huge street party ! 

Vixx, it was lovely to meet you at last ! 

05/10/2008 at 20:36

The crowds were fantastic along the way. They really helped. Very impressed by the support. The final mile was amazing, I was just too knackered to appreciate it at the time. Looking back, it was phenomenal.

Edit, meant last mile, not finishing line.

Edited: 05/10/2008 at 20:37
05/10/2008 at 20:55

Well done to you all, I run half marathons but always thought this one looked to be littered with a lot of organisational issues. But watched a bit on tv this morning and was inspired for next year-how do I plan the accomodation etc and is there a lot of faff to deal with?

Cheers

Rabbit

05/10/2008 at 22:18

Evening all! Quick post as just posted on the other thread and the bath's waiting. In 2 minds whether to do this again. Atmosphere is not to be beaten, but 2+ hrs to get back to Gateshead and 4 hrs on the motorway isn't funny   Probably will enter anyway

05/10/2008 at 22:36

Hi everybody,

Long time forum reader here, thought I would get around to actually contributing after gleaning some very valuable wisdom from the regular posters on here in the run up to the GNR 08.

Just in from the run today, had a fantastic time, crowds simply awesome in their generosity and support as always - and class weather considering the last couple of days including the Saturday up on the Quayside. 

Beat my own PB today with a 1 hr 55 finish so looking forward to next year already!!

Well done everyone on their times and achievements

RB

05/10/2008 at 23:27

I dont seem to be able to bookmark this thread?

Well, really enjoyed today. Tried to find the green balloons at the start but just couldnt find them. I did 1:55. My 1/2 PB is 1:40 (GNR PB 1:47) but I have only run once in the last 6 weeks due to holiday and then illness  - today was my second run in 6 weeks. So, overall pleased as my target was anything within two hours. Felt good until the 10.5 mile mark where the lack of training hit in and pace slowed right down - still, I managed to run the whole way along the sea front which is the first time I have managed that - for some reason every time I have done GNR previously I seem to run out of energy at about 800m to go and have to walk for about 100m!

PS Am I the only one who blubs every time they play Abide with me at the start - pleased I was wearing sunglasses so no one could see my eyes!

right, off to bed now to rest my weary limbs.

05/10/2008 at 23:54
Jovi - I was in the loo queue when Abide With Me was playing, and was certainly glad I was wearing sunglasses. You weren't the lady next to me in the queue were you?
05/10/2008 at 23:58
night all ,   what  smashing day ,  first  the race ,  then   the meal tonight ,   what a cracking bunch of people ,   its quite funny really .  didnt know what to call most of you,   felt a bit strange calling yous by ya forum names,    but feel like i know yous all a bit better now
05/10/2008 at 23:59
really must change me  tiggr photo to something a bit more apt
06/10/2008 at 00:48
Evening
Just watched Heroes and I am caught up. Hurrah.
I have the shivers and feel light headed. Could it be running related?
The tops of the front of my thighs are really stiff and sore. Can't walk properly. Is that normal? What do you call the tops of your thighs?
Otherwise I'm feeling fab!
06/10/2008 at 00:49
Tee hee
06/10/2008 at 08:03
Morning
Legs as stiff as two blocks of wood this morning. Somehow have gotta drive to Morpeth station shortly to get the train to Glasgow.
Hope everyone is well.
06/10/2008 at 08:35
Good running
Yeti and Jovi. Jovi similar to you my PB is 1:39 so my 1:54 yesterday is some way off that but lack of LSRs really showed when I got to 10 miles when all energy was zapped and my legs felt like lead.was barely running between 11 and 12 miles but then got a bit of a spurt. Was dodging people from back of zone C as well guys.
21 to 40 of 20,953 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.