Great North Run 2009

2008 is over, who's up for doing it all again?

121 to 140 of 20,953 messages
06/10/2008 at 12:03
glutus maximus - what a load of old arse
06/10/2008 at 12:07

Glutus Maximus? Wasn't he in that Russell Crowe film?

I'll  get my coat.

By the way, BBS - I think you're confusing RtG with RLTW

(These forumites who use initials really complicate things don't they?)

06/10/2008 at 12:07
LOL mr sg very true
06/10/2008 at 12:09
And who the heck is Mr sg ?
06/10/2008 at 12:09
LOL XL M8 CYA L8R
06/10/2008 at 12:10

mr sg, obviously an imposter - apprehend that man!!

06/10/2008 at 12:14
Raring to go wrote (see)
Out of curiosity I put 'banana skins healing' in Google.  Seems that banana skins can help itching, mozzie bites, general inflammation and also, piles!!
You gotta love them banana skins! 
06/10/2008 at 12:17
So, Shielsy, if it's not a personal question, did you suffer from any mozzie bites, yesterday ?
06/10/2008 at 12:18

Edited: 06/10/2008 at 12:19
06/10/2008 at 12:22

XL-man wrote (see)
So, Shielsy, if it's not a personal question, did you suffer from any mozzie bites, yesterday ?

Nope the stinging nettles on the legs and arse were quite enough, thank you! 

06/10/2008 at 12:27
(I can't quote people on my work PC)

Motherhood  "I done my bit on the sidelines at Heworth roundabout shouting encouragement to all the 'names on the t-shirts' I could find (it's truly amazing how many folk don't put their name on)"

I've never really thought of putting my name on my shirt, although I may do next year.  Might make the last 2 miles easier with a few shouts.

I'd like to say a big Thank You to the runner 800 metres from the end who said "Come on mate, you've nearly finished"  I was hobblong/walking like a man of 85 at the time and he gave me the boost I needed. Cheers.
06/10/2008 at 12:29
So banana skins keep away irritating pests, useful to know.
06/10/2008 at 12:50

A few brief comments on GNR:

Positives:

Fab crowds, love the warm up and music at the start, great commaraderie (sp?) throughout race, bands enroute, red arrows

Not so goods (dont want to call them negatives

start still a bit chaotic, meet up point being moved  - it was much harder to find people - much easier when in Gypsies Green and too close to charities village - winder why it was moved from gypsies Green?

I think one of the ladies from Nova (GNR organisers) reads this thread so would aslo add the following on possible improviemtns:

Numbering and baggage buses - would be good if GNR numbered randomly like London Marathon - that way everyone doesnt finish around the same time and want their gear off bus at same time

Give everyone a standard bag with their number on for putting their gear onto baggage bus - like FLM - with number in large type on front so easily identified

T shirts and medal this year not nearly as good quality as previous years - have they changed suppliers - can they go back to original suppliers as T shirts last few yeasrs have been much better quality/fit (my small was really big on me).

Dont let one pen start until previous one crossed start line

More stringent checks on peoples claimed finish times - to avoid poeple being in front pens who walk before they even get to the Tyne Bridge

06/10/2008 at 13:04

2nd GNR this year and still loving it.

Finished with a time of 02:09:42 an new 1/2 PB and way better than 2007s 02:43:31 (shows what difference a little training makes)

Will be back next year with the new challange of finishing in under 2 hours.

Great support on route as always, congratulations to all other runners

Edited: 06/10/2008 at 13:04
06/10/2008 at 13:08
MR SJ i was on the iphone it defaults!!! and thats not an excuse its real!!
06/10/2008 at 13:22

Morning all, glad to read everybody is well and not too many with major aches and pains.

I Had a terrible nights sleep last night, my left knee is really sore, I'm presuming that I carried most of my weight on my left leg after my right calf pulled at around mile 7, only one black toe nail so that's not too bad, quad's a little tender but manageable. 

06/10/2008 at 13:22

Hello all, sorry I didnt meet up with anyone yesterday but I hope you all had great days!!

What times did people get? I finished in 2:33:11, a bit slower than I wanted but nevermind, it was a great experience!! After 9 miles I felt there was nothing left in my legs (perhaps its cos the first 10k was a new PB for me) whoops..lol..

The timing split to Tyne Bridge.how far is that timing split..?

Hope everyone is ok!!

p.s. Rex = ok, but we were on the top floor and could still here the thudding of the music down below!! Good job we werent any lower. Generally I was very disappoinbted with Whitley bay though, looked very run down and just a place to have a piss-up. Very disappointed. South SHields and Tynemouth looked nicer though, especially south shields.

Ferry - we went to queue for it and it must have been half a milelong!! We went for a drink instead and then went to queue for it. The queue had gone down but we still had to wait around for an hour and finally got back to north shields around 6.

06/10/2008 at 14:14

James - people have been mentioning their times in their race reports  .

If you don't want to read others' race reports then you can check out people's results on the official Great North Run site (though you'll need to know people's real names.) 

06/10/2008 at 14:21

Shielsy's real name is Miss Banana Pants 2008

06/10/2008 at 14:27
XL-man wrote (see)

Shielsy's real name is Miss Banana Pants 2008

That does have a certain ring to it

(spot the pun)
Edited: 06/10/2008 at 14:27
121 to 140 of 20,953 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.