Great North Run 2009

2008 is over, who's up for doing it all again?

141 to 160 of 20,953 messages
06/10/2008 at 14:27

hi guys, had a great day yesterday, had a PB despite running with a cold (naughty I know!) Did anyone else think it was really warm the first few miles?

Got cramp at 11 miles  but was able to carry on.  did 2hrs 24 so really pleased.  Jovi runners directions etc were really helpful however it was touch and go to get to train station for 5.30pm.  Couldn't not believe the queue for the ferry! Arrived home in Kent at 11pm.  What a long day.

Would I do it again?  I'll definately do another half but Newcastle is such a long way to go and soooo many people.  Never really felt you got any space.

06/10/2008 at 14:35

Are the race numbers based on predicted times? My number was 17870, so does that mean I was expected to finish 17 thousandth (is that a word??). My overall position was 11000 odd, so do you reckon I might get a better zone next year? I was in E this time.

See, it must be like childbirth and I was crazy enough to do that 3 times. Only 24 hours later and I'm thinking that wasn't so bad, I can do it better next time. Reality is, it was horrendous over the last few miles!!!

06/10/2008 at 14:35
Shielsy wrote (see)
XL-man wrote (see)

Shielsy's real name is Miss Banana Pants 2008

That does have a certain ring to it

(spot the pun)

Hmm Ms Shiels I am seeing you in a whole new light
06/10/2008 at 14:40

It must have been around the 11 mile mark I started to think about my plan of entering next years Edinburgh Mar****n, it almost made me laugh - 26.2 miles, not a chance in hell !!!!!!

I've got my application form half filled in but my OH thinks it would be a really bad decisionand doesn't want me to do it.

06/10/2008 at 14:45

Mick, I know that feeling, except I've already paid my money!

I think the only thing I can do is to not think of the time at all and only think about finishing. Just do a slow plod, even if it was11-12 minute miles.

06/10/2008 at 14:46

I was thinking exactly the same thing, Spesh - once I worked out what she meant of course.

You should be ashamed of yourself, Shielsy

What a wise woman she is, Mick - listen to her.

06/10/2008 at 14:49
Did you see the guys around mile 9 (i think 9) with the home brew?
"Real Beer for Real Athletes" they were shouting, handing out plastic cups of beer.
It brought a smile to my face, but the smell of stale beer a few yards up the road wasn't the best smell ever
06/10/2008 at 14:49
Mick - the first time I did GNR (2005) I just could not ever imagine being able to turn round and run the same distance again but I did my first marathon at London this year. I am sure you will be OK for a marathon - you have 8 months to prepare and the reality is that you run slower for the marathon so at the half way mark you are nowhere near as tired as you would be at the end of a half. I loved running the marahton and actually felt less tired at the end of it than I have done at the end of a lot of the half marathons I have done. Go for it!
06/10/2008 at 14:50
XL, I do have a bit of doubt, but I also had doubt whether or not I could do a half, and now I have 2 under my belt.
06/10/2008 at 15:11
I was passed the 'beer men' before I realised otherwise i'd have been tempted, I felt rotten enough anyway and it couldnt have made me feel worse. Chap near me grabbed a cup and was acclaimed as the "first of the day". He took one look at the cup and chucked it away. What a waste...
06/10/2008 at 15:14
I have to say being femaIe the beer was no tempatation, however, did anyone grab a rich tea biscuit off a lady about 9 mile mark.  Great to have a bit of food put my mouth was so dry it was really hard to chew and eat it!
06/10/2008 at 15:24

I didnt see the Rich Tea biscuits - did enjoy the orange segments at various points though - just the job. I was also temted by the ice pops but was worried the cold might upset my already delicate feeling stomach. the GNR is great for all the little extras like this. I must admit I ma not a fan of beer - now had it been a nice glass of iced cider then I could have been tempted!

I also enjoyed running through the various impromptu water hoses - not to mention the kids squirting water bottles at you. I was actually a bit warm at the start of the race so it was appreciated - not sure how I owuld have felt on a colder day though

Edited: 06/10/2008 at 15:25
06/10/2008 at 15:36
becky boo wrote (see)
however, did anyone grab a rich tea biscuit off a lady about 9 mile mark. Great to have a bit of food put my mouth was so dry it was really hard to chew and eat it!

On my first GNR I picked up a Rich Tea biscuit (wonder if it was the same lady?) and immediately regretted it, as - like you say - when your mouth's already dry, it's nearly impossible to chew. Bless her for thinking of us though.

Jovi Runner wrote (see)

I was also temted by the ice pops but was worried the cold might upset my already delicate feeling stomach. the GNR is great for all the little extras like this.

I took an icepop at around mile 11.5 - it was the most pleasant part of the whole race, really cooled me down and psychologically gave me a bit of a boost from the sugar. Ran with it for about a mile with it just sticking out of my mouth like a big yellow cigar, so hope it's not the official photo

Jovi Runner wrote (see)

I also enjoyed running through the various impromptu water hoses - not to mention the kids squirting water bottles at you.

And not to mention the firemen at mile 7! They were a really welcome addition this year
Edited: 06/10/2008 at 15:37
06/10/2008 at 15:42

LOL at 'Real beer for real athletes'

One year their banner said 'Last beer before the finish'

I would love to know how much they give away.

06/10/2008 at 15:49
I liked the Hash House Harriers motto "a drinking club for people with a running problem"
06/10/2008 at 15:55

Afternoon peeps

I feel as  fresh as a daisy - no aches or pains anywhere, though tbh once I'd realised I hadn't started my watch I wasn't really running flat out.

RE: biscuits - lol I told you guys not to take the biscuits from the little old ladies - they suck all the moisture out of your mouth hehehe

I did have an icepop myself and it was prolly the lushest thing in the universe at the time   Kept me going from just after the crem all the way to the nook

The firemen at York Avenue were fab too! 

06/10/2008 at 16:07

Meant to say many thanks to Shielsy for organising our post GNR get together again - you're a real star!

had a good natter, but was ready for mu bed far too early (as per usual)  hope everyone enjoyed the night! 

06/10/2008 at 16:11

Well done everyone! All the best for 2009! I won't be doing it next year I don't think although I said that this year too LOL !!!

Great reading about you all over the last few months I'll be sure to check back here for more of the same! 

St J

06/10/2008 at 16:27

Hey everyone!

Had a fantastic day yesterday!

Time was 2.00 48 seconds, dressed as a fairy and starting in the pink zone dodging thousands of people!!! So was really impressed i think i came 13000??? and something probably 13999, i don't really know, was amazed to say i was so far back! I would love to do it again, hopefully start further up than the pink because i tried to pick up the pace in the last 2 miles but couldn't get past, specially when it funnels down at the end! Was frustrating in places but the atmosphere was amazing and

Really sore lower back today though think it was the cold start and waiting 30 mins to pass the start line! And lack of space to do back stretches!

What a day

Edited: 06/10/2008 at 16:28
06/10/2008 at 16:29
Just watched the race on tv that I sky+'d, what a fantastic race for the elite women, so unlucky for Jo Pavey not to get 1st and just 2 seconds separating 1st and 3rd.
141 to 160 of 20,953 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.