Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

2,121 to 2,140 of 4,716 messages
26/01/2013 at 09:25
Bearsted Plodder wrote (see)
Yeah had a great meal last night and daughter arrived here at 11pm in good mood. Today is Sons 21st - out for walk in morning/early afternoon then cake and Champagne at 4ish and a slap up meal in evening

Sounds perfect - have a great time.

26/01/2013 at 10:46
Just under 4 miles felt like 10 this morning.knee high snow drifts and huge icey puddles hidden under the snow,thought I had fallen in a crevice at one point.Back with very cold toes.I blame you lot for me running today,it was great.Thank you.
26/01/2013 at 11:02
Snow here starting to thaw quickly but still enough to make for a good walk now. Just seen a 21 year old react to presents worse than when he was 4 - having said that it was when he opened his Buzz and Woody toys that he has been eating to get since he was 4!!
26/01/2013 at 12:32

Afternoon all.My feet have just about thawed out from slushing around parkrun this morning.On certain parts of the course,Bambi on ice had a more graceful technique than yours truly.Good luck to anyone running/racing over the weekend.

27/01/2013 at 12:36
Woohoo the snows gone ! Out this morning for an 8 miler along the coast, was going nicely until i got about 3 miles in and the rain started lashing down and then as i turned past tynemouth priory the hailstorm and wind started and i was battered sideways for the next half mile, blown into the railings on 2 occassions, then it stopped and altough weather was nicer i just felt wrecked !

Kept plodding on and did 8.12 miles at 8:02 mile pace , felt good and longest run for about 3 weeks.

Hope everyone has a good run or race today and take it easy out there.
27/01/2013 at 13:28

mr sj, it might have gone at the coast . Still plenty of it here near Newcastle though, even if it is getting slushy. Yesterday was good running with the overnight snow on top of the older stuff but couldn't face going out today, just too awkward to run on the pavements round here. Got a plan for tomorrow though - head for the coast and do a long run there! It'll be great to wear normal shoes again and not the Mudclaws, which are never as comfortable.

27/01/2013 at 13:37

Having enjoyed yesterday's fresh snow like Graham, I did not fancy a five mile slush-plodge today. Headed for the gym instead, which was only marginally more appealing. 8k on the treadmill at a decent pace got me nice and warm. Really should be getting some work done now.

Stay safe and warm folks.

Edited: 27/01/2013 at 13:40
27/01/2013 at 14:08
Me too sneeked back in gym,blowing a hoolie and rain put me.Just had a lovely dinner down my mams.Feeling overwhelmed at the moment with course work and shifts.Cant seem to find enough hours in the day.Hopefully will settle down when I get used to this writing essays malarky.
27/01/2013 at 16:53

Well, when I e-mailed my application for a GNR place, I wondered what on earth I was letting myself in for. I thought I'd best start doing a bit just in case I was lucky enough to get in. Having weighed myself and saw that I was 12.5 stones (old money I know but it works for me) I knew I had to get moving on tne running and weightloss fronts. Ive managed to get out around every other day.......running in the snow for the first time has been incredible, and today was my first dedicated long run day. Managed four miles for the first time in ages, and now feel amazing. I actually feel like 'a runner' after so long and am so glad that I have this goal to go for in September. I know thats not a long run to many of you but its been a biggie for me today.

Onwards and upwards eh?

27/01/2013 at 17:24

Well Done Blade 41! That's great

Hi everyone - how are you all today?

27/01/2013 at 17:28

Well done, Blade41 - onwards and upwards indeed.  Of course you're a proper runner. Best of luck with the training.

I was pleased to hear the rain lashing it down this morning as I lay in bed, as I knew it would be helping to wash the snow away.  But I was sensible and waited until it had stopped and brightened up a bit before going out myself.

Conditions like today are awkward to dress for ... it was clear on too many paths to justify wearing Yaktrax, but there were still stretches where the sun doesn't hit where it was still pretty snowy/slushy, so I opted for my trail shoes, which I don't really like wearing as they aren't as responsive as my other shoes.

Was determined to do a long run as I haven't managed one so far this year thanks to the weather.  I managed 11 miles, but it was really windy in places, and given my lack of training recently I found it very tough going (Mick's 'divers' boots analogy sprung to mind).  By 9 miles I was absolutely shattered and the only reason I didn't give up was because I knew I'd get too cold if I stopped and walked.

Didn't take any gels with me, and felt like I was going to pass out in the shower, but once I'd got some food down me I started to feel better.

Was quite pleased with my efforts, but then saw photos from today's Northern X-Country race in Merseyside - some of my club's senior and junior females were taking part.  It's still thick snow down there - now THAT'S hardcore!

27/01/2013 at 17:30

Hi Vixx - I'm tired but OK.  How are things with you?

27/01/2013 at 17:35

Thanks Shielsy....really enjoying this now and glad to have found this forum too!

27/01/2013 at 17:37
Graham - I know what you mean about the snow in Newcastle. I went down to the coast all last week to run and also today. I was windy but completely dry underfoot so normal shoes definitely suitable. Yesterday it was rather slushy but not today.

Shielsy - well done. It's always tough that first LSR.

Blade - excellent stuff. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Bearsted - did you enjoy the rest of your weekend?

Mr SJ - good pace this morning. I know what you mean about the wind.

Fuzz - evening

Bearsted
27/01/2013 at 18:09
Hi everyone
Long time since I've posted on here but most of you I see on Facebook.
So glad the snow has shifted and good to get out for a 10k this morning.
Slow pace but felt really good
How's everyone doing ?
Ps - I've just entered the Ironbridge half Maria again, every year I say never again as this is such a hard course but I seem to have entered it again ... Hmmm,.....
Must be mad
27/01/2013 at 18:14

Hi Shielsy, Fiona and Shrek. I'm OK. Feel a bit odd today and don't know why.

27/01/2013 at 18:46

Oh, and I saw a guy out running today in Vibrams - bet his feet were cold.

27/01/2013 at 18:47

Ohhhhhhhhh - not good for the toes! :S

28/01/2013 at 07:52

Fiona - yes thanks has a great weekend lots of walking, eating and drinking. Finished off yesterday with a great walk along beach from Walkworth towards Alnmouth forgotten how beautiful coast was there.

Got back down to Kent last night at 12.45am and up for work at 6.05am. Back to reality!!

28/01/2013 at 07:52
Good morning everyone,

Well the snows gone and now forecast for torrential rain and 60mph winds, that will make the bike ride to and from work 'interesting'
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.