Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

2,181 to 2,200 of 4,717 messages
31/01/2013 at 11:44

Slow 6 miler tonight to go past the 125 for January - with the long runs now starting to kick in hopefully the weather will behave.

31/01/2013 at 13:03

OK I have revised my opinion on the weather - it seems to have got a lot worse since I was running this morning.

XL- yes planning to be there, unless I sleep in again

31/01/2013 at 13:21

Afternoon all,7 blustery miles this morning,looked like a wheelie bin massacre had taken place overnight.Good luck to anyone else venturing out later.

31/01/2013 at 13:37

LFC-a duathlon or even a tri has been suggested before!

If I get time to run tonight, I should just make 170 miles this month- I did have to double check that myself.  Roll on VLM!!

31/01/2013 at 13:42

OS - that is great mileage - I wont hit that amount till March and April where it will be just over 200 a month

31/01/2013 at 13:56

Was hoping the wind would have died down today so I can get in a good 7 miles after work but by the sounds of things (and the fact I was blown from one end of Northumberland Street to the other this lunchtime) it seems like it's going to be a bit of a chore tonight ... dreading it! 

OS - can't believe that 'lake' is where you'd usually finish your parkrun .  Mandie will love that photo of you and your dog.

If I can drag myself out of bed on Saturday I may pay a visit to Whitley Bay parkrun as mr sj says they're doing a 'pink parkrun' or something.

31/01/2013 at 14:19
Afternoon everyone.

My god its windy out there ! Coming home from work on my bike and The cross wonds were knocking me rig out into the middle of e road, very scary and ended up getting off and pushing the bike.

Off to the club tonight and im guessing its going to be hard work on the track !

Shielsey - would be great to see you at the pink park run on saturday and anyone else local that fancies it. Its for a friend of mine and a regular parkrun marshall who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, she is a real fighter and has come through it and will be tail walker this sat as she's still ot allowed to run.

You just need to wear something pink and they will be doing a collection and selling cakes at the finish, after lots of ebay hunting i eventually found a mans running t shirt in bright neon pink !
31/01/2013 at 15:19

OK - someone mentions cakes and I'm there! 

31/01/2013 at 16:01

Just back from a 5 miler. Felt more like 10 miles in this wind. I had to be at the coast anyway so parked at the St Mary's Island car-park and ran from there. It was bad enough at home in Gosforth but at the coast it must have been almost gale-force. Struggled to do much more than walking-pace into it and, when it was behind me, had to keep putting the brakes on to stop being carried away. No kidding. Not to mention being knocked all over the place when it was coming from the side. Probably the strongest wind I've run in. Better than bloomin' ice though.

31/01/2013 at 18:07

*peeks head round door*

Hello everyone - its been ages since I've been able to post. I hope you are all well. I'm back in work now after my broken finger episode and I've no idea how I used to find the time to fit everything in. This work malarky doesn't half get in the way.

I've not had a chance to read back properly but can see that there has been some admireable running in all the snow/ice/wind/rain/floods etc.

I've hardly run this month after suffering a bit of a niggly ankle which, hopefully, seems to have eased now. Other than that I seem to have avoided some tough conditions.

Its looking very doubtful that I'll be able to join everyone for Blaydon due to our leave rota being fully booked up that weekend which I'm gutted about. There's plenty of time for someone to cancel their leave tho, so I'm not giving up all hope just yet.

OS - Shielsy is right.....I do love that photo of you and your dog, although I sympathise at the conditions for your parkrun....I doubt it'll drain for a while yet, looking at it. 

31/01/2013 at 22:00

Evening everyone.

7.2 miles tonight after work in windy conditions ... horrible when running into it (or having it blowing at you from either side) but great when it was at your back. 

Hard lines about Blaydon, Mandie.  Do you know yet if you can get the weekend off for TR24?

01/02/2013 at 08:08

Morning all. Just joined this thread. Got a place in this year GNR in the Daily Mirror ballot. Not done it since 2009 as I had a serious accident shortly afterwards but gradually got back to running. Never thought I'd do the GNR again and have to admit I was really shocked when the ballot results were announced - you really do have to be carefull what you wish for.

Hi again Shielsy!

01/02/2013 at 10:11

Great news RR - hope you fully over accident and can enjoy the running again

01/02/2013 at 17:29

Evening.

Shielsy - Weekend for TR24 is all fine and dandy. Can't wait!

Hi Roy Runner (are you the same Roy Runner that used to post on here a good few years back?) So sorry to hear about your accident but great news that you are now back running and able to join us.

Evening BP.

01/02/2013 at 17:40

Fab news there Mandie!

Evening all

Hope everyone is well.

01/02/2013 at 18:41

Yes Mandie the very same!

01/02/2013 at 18:57

I thought it was you Roy - welcome back! Make sure you stick around on here and meet us all again under the footbridge at the start, it will be great to see you again!

Evening Vixx. Finished my 3 day shifts today and not back in til nights on Monday so I'm very good this evening. Hows you?

01/02/2013 at 20:38

Hi all, I got a place for GNR with Mirror ballot. So pleased . I came on here four years ago and Xlman sent me a training programme. Looking forward to sharing all the training x

02/02/2013 at 08:31

Congratulations Envious and Roy for getting a place and anyone else lucky enough to grab a place.

I was hoping to have bagged a place in this years Blaydon Race via my club which i normally do, but this year our club is only getting 18 places and with 50+ members wanting a place i'll be lucky to get one. So fingers crossed i'll be able to get on a PC on Monday and try via the tinterweb.
I won a Sunderland shirt on e-bay for £3.90 + £2.50 postage which wasn't too bad.

Hope everyone is fit as a fiddle and fine and dandy

02/02/2013 at 09:56
Morning stringy - just back from the parkrun that wasn't. Pouring rain last night which has frozen to create an ice rink. Fingers crossed for Monday. Billy and I have deferred places from last so just need to post the form this morning.

XL - sorry to miss you this morning but I heard it was cancelled while on Great North Road so just went and did my own thing to make up the miles. It was rather slippy on the moor.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.